Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all. After a long struggle with our backup system, tapes, and tape drives, finally replacing the EZ17 allows us to get proper backups again. However, I have been receiving the following error when trying to backup one of our ...

  1. Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.

    Hi all. After a long struggle with our backup system, tapes, and tape drives,
    finally replacing the EZ17 allows us to get proper backups again.

    However, I have been receiving the following error when trying to backup
    one of our remote (LAN) server's system state:

    Directory \_SharedHardlinkData_
    Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files.
    The System State file could not be backed up.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    What could cause this? Our backup server is running BE 8.6 bld. 3878 on
    Windows 2000 SP3 using an Exabyte Mammoth 2 tape drive within an EZ17 library.

    For what it is worth, the server that was being backed up (we'll call ACC3)
    was originally upgraded from NT4 to W2000 and runs SP3 currently. It also
    is one of the domain controllers (not the "first" one though).

    Thanks,
    Jason

  2. Re: Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.

    I had the same error occurring with one of my remote server's system state
    backup (exchange). The only difference is that I was using build 3808 at
    that time. There should be a hotfix for the "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0
    - skipped" error associated with 3878 (there is definitly one for 3808).

    Check out the Knowledge base.
    The hotfix that I used for build 3808 is located in TechFile ID: 23955.
    This will explain the whole process & provide the download.
    The download is: bnt86sysfix_239551.exe
    This may be a starting point, it worked for me, but i'd check into it a little
    further. Good Luck.

    "Jason Alden" wrote:

    >Hi all. After a long struggle with our backup system, tapes, and tape drives,
    >finally replacing the EZ17 allows us to get proper backups again.
    >
    >However, I have been receiving the following error when trying to backup
    >one of our remote (LAN) server's system state:
    >

    >Directory \_SharedHardlinkData_
    >Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.
    >An error occurred retrieving System State files.
    >The System State file could not be backed up.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >

    >What could cause this? Our backup server is running BE 8.6 bld. 3878 on
    >Windows 2000 SP3 using an Exabyte Mammoth 2 tape drive within an EZ17 library.
    >
    >For what it is worth, the server that was being backed up (we'll call ACC3)
    >was originally upgraded from NT4 to W2000 and runs SP3 currently. It also
    >is one of the domain controllers (not the "first" one though).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Jason

  3. Re: Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.

    Sorry, I meant TechFile ID: 239551

    "Matt" wrote:

    >I had the same error occurring with one of my remote server's system state
    >backup (exchange). The only difference is that I was using build 3808 at
    >that time. There should be a hotfix for the "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0
    >- skipped" error associated with 3878 (there is definitly one for 3808).
    >
    >Check out the Knowledge base.
    >The hotfix that I used for build 3808 is located in TechFile ID: 23955.

    >This will explain the whole process & provide the download.
    >The download is: bnt86sysfix_239551.exe
    >This may be a starting point, it worked for me, but i'd check into it a

    little
    >further. Good Luck.
    >
    >"Jason Alden" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi all. After a long struggle with our backup system, tapes, and tape

    drives,
    >>finally replacing the EZ17 allows us to get proper backups again.
    >>
    >>However, I have been receiving the following error when trying to backup
    >>one of our remote (LAN) server's system state:
    >>

    >>Directory \_SharedHardlinkData_
    >>Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.
    >>An error occurred retrieving System State files.
    >>The System State file could not be backed up.
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>

    >>What could cause this? Our backup server is running BE 8.6 bld. 3878 on
    >>Windows 2000 SP3 using an Exabyte Mammoth 2 tape drive within an EZ17 library.
    >>
    >>For what it is worth, the server that was being backed up (we'll call ACC3)
    >>was originally upgraded from NT4 to W2000 and runs SP3 currently. It also
    >>is one of the domain controllers (not the "first" one though).
    >>
    >>Thanks,
    >>Jason

  4. Re: Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.

    Matt,

    Thanks so much for your informative responses. I determined from the tech
    note that my problem was after I upgraded my 8.6 3808 to 3878, I never upgraded
    the remote server agents. Now I did that and my problem is gone!

    Thanks again,
    Jason Alden

    "Matt" wrote:

    >Sorry, I meant TechFile ID: 239551
    >
    >"Matt" wrote:
    >>
    >>I had the same error occurring with one of my remote server's system state
    >>backup (exchange). The only difference is that I was using build 3808

    at
    >>that time. There should be a hotfix for the "Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0
    >>- skipped" error associated with 3878 (there is definitly one for 3808).
    >>
    >>Check out the Knowledge base.
    >>The hotfix that I used for build 3808 is located in TechFile ID: 23955.

    >>This will explain the whole process & provide the download.
    >>The download is: bnt86sysfix_239551.exe
    >>This may be a starting point, it worked for me, but i'd check into it a

    >little
    >>further. Good Luck.
    >>
    >>"Jason Alden" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi all. After a long struggle with our backup system, tapes, and tape

    >drives,
    >>>finally replacing the EZ17 allows us to get proper backups again.
    >>>
    >>>However, I have been receiving the following error when trying to backup
    >>>one of our remote (LAN) server's system state:
    >>>

    >>>Directory \_SharedHardlinkData_
    >>>Unable to open the item \_SharedHardlinkData_\0.0.0 - skipped.
    >>>An error occurred retrieving System State files.
    >>>The System State file could not be backed up.
    >>>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>>

    >>>What could cause this? Our backup server is running BE 8.6 bld. 3878

    on
    >>>Windows 2000 SP3 using an Exabyte Mammoth 2 tape drive within an EZ17

    library.

    >>>For what it is worth, the server that was being backed up (we'll call

    ACC3)
    >>>was originally upgraded from NT4 to W2000 and runs SP3 currently. It

    also
    >>>is one of the domain controllers (not the "first" one though).
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>Jason

+ Reply to Thread