Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?! - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am backing up 2 mail servers which were backing up with no problems, now its taking 24+ hrs. to back up. Its backing up at 32mb a min, which is not good. It was working good about a week ...

  1. Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    I am backing up 2 mail servers which were backing up with no problems, now
    its taking 24+ hrs. to back up. Its backing up at 32mb a min, which is not
    good. It was working good about a week ago, now its working like this. Any
    ideas on what happen would be helpful.

    thanks

  2. Re: Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    Define "good" please. Are you backing up individual mailbox? If so, 32mb/min
    is considered "good" throughput. Mailbox backup throughput could be worse -
    5mb/min backing up to DDS3 tapes. Any changes to your server
    hardware/software recently? Any excessive errors on your switch ports? (if
    you're using a switch).

    "John" wrote in message news:3eca1e32$1@hronntp01....

    > I am backing up 2 mail servers which were backing up with no problems, now
    > its taking 24+ hrs. to back up. Its backing up at 32mb a min, which is not
    > good. It was working good about a week ago, now its working like this. Any
    > ideas on what happen would be helpful.
    >
    > thanks

  3. Re: Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    I am backing up mailboxes / log files everything that would do with a exchange
    mail server if it went down. 32mb for just mailboxes is fine with me but
    it is at that rate on everything. Backing up data from the C: drive 32mb
    a min. I don't work on our servers but from what I have been told nothing
    has really changed. We took off the virus protection last night to see if
    that would help and it didn't because its still going right now from last
    night at 5:30pm when it started. Backing up 2 mail servers shouldn't take
    24+ hrs to back up I wouldn't think. Anymore help would be great!

    thanks Ron

    -
    >5mb/min backing up to DDS3 tapes. Any changes to your server
    >hardware/software recently? Any excessive errors on your switch ports? (if
    >you're using a switch).
    >
    >"John" wrote in message news:3eca1e32$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I am backing up 2 mail servers which were backing up with no problems,

    now
    >> its taking 24+ hrs. to back up. Its backing up at 32mb a min, which is

    not
    >> good. It was working good about a week ago, now its working like this.

    Any
    >> ideas on what happen would be helpful.
    >>
    >> thanks

  4. Re: Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    I am having the same problem. My backup is stuck on Loading.... for many
    hours. It forces me to abort because it will not being the backup. It does
    this on random days on different tapes, so I assume it isn't the tape. It
    does this after cleaning the drive as well. ANy suggestions? Thanks!

    "Ron" wrote:
    >Define "good" please. Are you backing up individual mailbox? If so, 32mb/min
    >is considered "good" throughput. Mailbox backup throughput could be worse

    -
    >5mb/min backing up to DDS3 tapes. Any changes to your server
    >hardware/software recently? Any excessive errors on your switch ports? (if
    >you're using a switch).
    >
    >"John" wrote in message news:3eca1e32$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I am backing up 2 mail servers which were backing up with no problems,

    now
    >> its taking 24+ hrs. to back up. Its backing up at 32mb a min, which is

    not
    >> good. It was working good about a week ago, now its working like this.

    Any
    >> ideas on what happen would be helpful.
    >>
    >> thanks

  5. Re: Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    inline...

    "John" wrote in message news:3ecb67b7$1@hronntp01....

    > I am backing up mailboxes / log files everything that would do with a

    exchange
    > mail server if it went down. 32mb for just mailboxes is fine with me but

    Mailbox backup is not recommended for disaster recovery. See
    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm

    > it is at that rate on everything. Backing up data from the C: drive 32mb
    > a min. I don't work on our servers but from what I have been told nothing

    Again, find out if there's any significant changes to the data set. Perhaps
    someone adds thousands of small files onto the C drive. Backup throughput
    degrades when backing up small files, thousand of them.

    > has really changed. We took off the virus protection last night to see if
    > that would help and it didn't because its still going right now from last
    > night at 5:30pm when it started. Backing up 2 mail servers shouldn't take
    > 24+ hrs to back up I wouldn't think. Anymore help would be great!

    I agree that it shouldn't take that long to do backup. Here are several
    possibilities:
    - Tape drive is dying
    - Tape media is bad
    - Controller card goes bad
    - Switch port is bad

    Check your event logs for errors. Isolate the problem by testing each device
    (tape drive, switch port, media, controller etc). Update or reinstall driver
    for the controller and tape drive.

    I've had a similar problem on my DLT VS80 tape drive. The verify (not back
    up) throughput drops from 150mb/min to 10mb/min. Turns out that the tape
    drive is dying. I got a replacement from Dell and it's been working fine
    since then.

    HTH

  6. Re: Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    Hey,
    If you haven't already, consider reading TechNote ID: 241858 in the Knowledge
    Base. Exchange has a maintenance schedule defaulted to run between 1-5am.
    This requires a lot of CPU usage which could result in a slower throughput
    rate.
    Just a thought.

    "John" wrote:

    >I am backing up mailboxes / log files everything that would do with a exchange
    >mail server if it went down. 32mb for just mailboxes is fine with me but
    >it is at that rate on everything. Backing up data from the C: drive 32mb
    >a min. I don't work on our servers but from what I have been told nothing
    >has really changed. We took off the virus protection last night to see if
    >that would help and it didn't because its still going right now from last
    >night at 5:30pm when it started. Backing up 2 mail servers shouldn't take
    >24+ hrs to back up I wouldn't think. Anymore help would be great!
    >
    >thanks Ron
    >
    >"Ron" wrote:
    >>Define "good" please. Are you backing up individual mailbox? If so, 32mb/min
    >>is considered "good" throughput. Mailbox backup throughput could be worse

    >-
    >>5mb/min backing up to DDS3 tapes. Any changes to your server
    >>hardware/software recently? Any excessive errors on your switch ports?

    (if
    >>you're using a switch).
    >>
    >>"John" wrote in message news:3eca1e32$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> I am backing up 2 mail servers which were backing up with no problems,

    >now
    >>> its taking 24+ hrs. to back up. Its backing up at 32mb a min, which is

    >not
    >>> good. It was working good about a week ago, now its working like this.

    >Any
    >>> ideas on what happen would be helpful.
    >>>
    >>> thanks

  7. Re: Exchange backup takes a very very very long time, HELP?!?!

    I feel your pain. I'm noticing it, too. I just got BE9 installed and ran
    a backup last night (started at 9:30pm). My IS is about 20GB, give or take.
    I wanted a full backup of the IS, but also brick-level. The IS went along
    at about 300 mb/min (DLT8000 drives), but now the brick level is going at
    about 45mb/min. My server has been backing up for over 11 hours, and it's
    just about halfway through. :-(

    "Ron" wrote:
    >inline...
    >
    >"John" wrote in message news:3ecb67b7$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I am backing up mailboxes / log files everything that would do with a

    >exchange
    >> mail server if it went down. 32mb for just mailboxes is fine with me but

    >Mailbox backup is not recommended for disaster recovery. See
    >http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm
    >
    >> it is at that rate on everything. Backing up data from the C: drive 32mb
    >> a min. I don't work on our servers but from what I have been told nothing

    >Again, find out if there's any significant changes to the data set. Perhaps
    >someone adds thousands of small files onto the C drive. Backup throughput
    >degrades when backing up small files, thousand of them.
    >
    >> has really changed. We took off the virus protection last night to see

    if
    >> that would help and it didn't because its still going right now from last
    >> night at 5:30pm when it started. Backing up 2 mail servers shouldn't take
    >> 24+ hrs to back up I wouldn't think. Anymore help would be great!

    >I agree that it shouldn't take that long to do backup. Here are several
    >possibilities:
    >- Tape drive is dying
    >- Tape media is bad
    >- Controller card goes bad
    >- Switch port is bad
    >
    >Check your event logs for errors. Isolate the problem by testing each device
    >(tape drive, switch port, media, controller etc). Update or reinstall driver
    >for the controller and tape drive.
    >
    >I've had a similar problem on my DLT VS80 tape drive. The verify (not back
    >up) throughput drops from 150mb/min to 10mb/min. Turns out that the tape
    >drive is dying. I got a replacement from Dell and it's been working fine
    >since then.
    >
    >HTH

+ Reply to Thread