BE 9 Problems! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9 Problems! - Veritas Backup Exec ; Over the past month we've been having various problems with our BE9 installation. It will be running a job and then it will just stop. At first we thought it was the tape drive so we had a new one ...

  1. BE 9 Problems!

    Over the past month we've been having various problems with our BE9
    installation. It will be running a job and then it will just stop. At
    first we thought it was the tape drive so we had a new one shipped to us but
    we still are having the same problem.

    The job will start just fine but once it gets to a certain spot it will just
    stop backing files up. No errors or anything. At first it was stopping at
    this one server, so I removed that server from the job. But now it stops at
    other random spots. I'm about to download SP1 and try that. Anyone ever
    see anything like this? Could this be a hardware problem?

    Mike

  2. Re: BE 9 Problems!

    Mike,

    You haven't put yout hardware or config on this post but if you try stopping
    the services and they timeout then checkout my post above about Remote Agent
    Timeout, your problem sounds similar to one i was getting but without
    further info it's too hard to tell.

    Phil

    "Mike Celone" wrote in message
    > Over the past month we've been having various problems with our BE9
    > installation. It will be running a job and then it will just stop. At
    > first we thought it was the tape drive so we had a new one shipped to us

    but
    > we still are having the same problem.
    >
    > The job will start just fine but once it gets to a certain spot it will

    just
    > stop backing files up. No errors or anything. At first it was stopping

    at
    > this one server, so I removed that server from the job. But now it stops

    at
    > other random spots. I'm about to download SP1 and try that. Anyone ever
    > see anything like this? Could this be a hardware problem?
    >
    > Mike

  3. Re: BE 9 Problems!

    Sorry about that I forgot to put the config up. The server is a Compaq
    Proliant 350 with the onboard SCSI controller. The tape drive is a ADIC
    FastStor 7 DLT8000.

    I applied SP1 to BE9 and so far it seems to be working well. I'll keep an
    eye on it for the next few days.

    Mike

    "Phil Milroy" wrote in message
    > Mike,
    >
    > You haven't put yout hardware or config on this post but if you try

    stopping
    > the services and they timeout then checkout my post above about Remote

    Agent
    > Timeout, your problem sounds similar to one i was getting but without
    > further info it's too hard to tell.
    >
    > Phil
    >

    > "Mike Celone" wrote in message
    > > Over the past month we've been having various problems with our BE9
    > > installation. It will be running a job and then it will just stop. At
    > > first we thought it was the tape drive so we had a new one shipped to us

    > but
    > > we still are having the same problem.
    > >
    > > The job will start just fine but once it gets to a certain spot it will

    > just
    > > stop backing files up. No errors or anything. At first it was stopping

    > at
    > > this one server, so I removed that server from the job. But now it

    stops
    > at
    > > other random spots. I'm about to download SP1 and try that. Anyone

    ever
    > > see anything like this? Could this be a hardware problem?
    > >
    > > Mike

  4. Re: BE 9 Problems!

    Mike,

    I would suspect that you are experiencing the same type of problems we are.

    Basically, the remote agent for 9.0 is not very stable and often crashes
    or hangs when backing up servers. The only solution I know of at this time
    is to cancel the job, then stop and restart the remote agent service on the
    affected server. To facilitate backup runs I make over the weekend, I also
    went into services and set the remote agent to automatically restart upon
    failure so that subsequent attempts may work.

    The only specific error I have noted on some of my servers is that the remote
    agent is generating an access violation error when attemping to call in internal
    method named "NCGetShareInfo", but this only occurs on some of my problematic
    servers, not all of them. (My guess is that a programmer goofed and has
    a memory porinter of 0 which is trigerring the access violation.).

    Veritas also needs to implement some type of watchdog process on the server
    that can identify when the remote agent is no longer responding and will
    cancel the job and move on, but that's another topic.

    Applying SP1, and hot fixes 10, 13 and 14 seemed to allieviate the problems
    at first, but now things are back to (ab)normal.

    I would try to get some resolution for these issues through telephone support,
    but I cannot sit on hold for two hours to simply be told to lower the agent
    priority and to spend hours producing every diagnostic report possible to
    send to them even though they are aware of the issue.

    - Mark

    "Mike Celone" wrote:
    >Sorry about that I forgot to put the config up. The server is a Compaq
    >Proliant 350 with the onboard SCSI controller. The tape drive is a ADIC
    >FastStor 7 DLT8000.
    >
    >I applied SP1 to BE9 and so far it seems to be working well. I'll keep

    an
    >eye on it for the next few days.
    >
    >Mike
    >
    >"Phil Milroy" wrote in message
    >> Mike,
    >>
    >> You haven't put yout hardware or config on this post but if you try

    >stopping
    >> the services and they timeout then checkout my post above about Remote

    >Agent
    >> Timeout, your problem sounds similar to one i was getting but without
    >> further info it's too hard to tell.
    >>
    >> Phil
    >>

    >> "Mike Celone" wrote in message
    >> > Over the past month we've been having various problems with our BE9
    >> > installation. It will be running a job and then it will just stop.

    At
    >> > first we thought it was the tape drive so we had a new one shipped to

    us
    >> but
    >> > we still are having the same problem.
    >> >
    >> > The job will start just fine but once it gets to a certain spot it will

    >> just
    >> > stop backing files up. No errors or anything. At first it was stopping

    >> at
    >> > this one server, so I removed that server from the job. But now it

    >stops
    >> at
    >> > other random spots. I'm about to download SP1 and try that. Anyone

    >ever
    >> > see anything like this? Could this be a hardware problem?
    >> >
    >> > Mike

+ Reply to Thread