Remote Agent Timeout - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent Timeout - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I was getting problems on some Dell PowerEdge 4600's running W2k Server SP3. Nothing special on the boxes software wise and both with slightly different software on them. Each night the backup would hang at apparently random intervals, sometimes ...

  1. Remote Agent Timeout

    Hi,

    I was getting problems on some Dell PowerEdge 4600's running W2k Server SP3.
    Nothing special on the boxes software wise and both with slightly different
    software on them. Each night the backup would hang at apparently random
    intervals, sometimes retensioning the tape, sometimes at 97% or 49%, no
    particular pattern.

    I got onto Veritas and they suggested a few pretty dumb things like
    disabling the AV software, changing the SCSI ID of the tape drive, all to no
    avail (not surprisingly imho). As we're getting the 4600's in as standard
    now i've had to work out what the hell was going on so i took a spare 4600
    and completely reinstalled it.

    Loaded BE9 on there and started doing batches of 10 backups, then installing
    another piece of software. All went fine until i stuck on the Dell Open
    Manage stuff. This seemed to total the backups and they were back to their
    random, might work or might not.

    I removed the OpenManage stuff and all seems to be ok again now. The AV
    software (Inoculan 4.5) is quite happy running in the background and all
    other software is ok. This may be a problem for people who use these disks
    to install windows from as i think it installs by default all the OpenManage
    stuff, the last install i did straight from the Win2kSvr CD. I hope this
    helps anyone who may be experiencing the same problems.

  2. Re: Remote Agent Timeout

    I am having this same problem! Yet I don't have the open manage software
    installed on the backup server but it is on the remote server...should I
    take it off or stop the service on the remote server?

    Thanks!

    Jason
    "Phil Milroy" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was getting problems on some Dell PowerEdge 4600's running W2k Server

    SP3.
    > Nothing special on the boxes software wise and both with slightly

    different
    > software on them. Each night the backup would hang at apparently random
    > intervals, sometimes retensioning the tape, sometimes at 97% or 49%, no
    > particular pattern.
    >
    > I got onto Veritas and they suggested a few pretty dumb things like
    > disabling the AV software, changing the SCSI ID of the tape drive, all to

    no
    > avail (not surprisingly imho). As we're getting the 4600's in as standard
    > now i've had to work out what the hell was going on so i took a spare 4600
    > and completely reinstalled it.
    >
    > Loaded BE9 on there and started doing batches of 10 backups, then

    installing
    > another piece of software. All went fine until i stuck on the Dell Open
    > Manage stuff. This seemed to total the backups and they were back to their
    > random, might work or might not.
    >
    > I removed the OpenManage stuff and all seems to be ok again now. The AV
    > software (Inoculan 4.5) is quite happy running in the background and all
    > other software is ok. This may be a problem for people who use these disks
    > to install windows from as i think it installs by default all the

    OpenManage
    > stuff, the last install i did straight from the Win2kSvr CD. I hope this
    > helps anyone who may be experiencing the same problems.

  3. Re: Remote Agent Timeout

    Hi Jason,

    I would try taking it off the remote server completely, i'm not 100% sure
    that stopping services will definitely cure it, i had problems using
    add/remove to uninstall parts of it anyway. I know it takes at least 1
    reboot to remove Open Manage as well so it's an out of hours job unless the
    server isn't live. Please mail me/this group your results as this problem
    was bugging the hell out of me for a while and i would like to know if it is
    *definitely* the Dell stuff that's causing problems so the more replies the
    better if anyone else is getting this problem.

    Thanks,

    Phil

    "Jason" wrote in message news:3ec8f860$1@hronntp01....
    > I am having this same problem! Yet I don't have the open manage software
    > installed on the backup server but it is on the remote server...should I
    > take it off or stop the service on the remote server?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Jason
    > "Phil Milroy" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I was getting problems on some Dell PowerEdge 4600's running W2k Server

    > SP3.
    > > Nothing special on the boxes software wise and both with slightly

    > different
    > > software on them. Each night the backup would hang at apparently random
    > > intervals, sometimes retensioning the tape, sometimes at 97% or 49%, no
    > > particular pattern.
    > >
    > > I got onto Veritas and they suggested a few pretty dumb things like
    > > disabling the AV software, changing the SCSI ID of the tape drive, all

    > no
    > > avail (not surprisingly imho). As we're getting the 4600's in as

    standard
    > > now i've had to work out what the hell was going on so i took a spare

    4600
    > > and completely reinstalled it.
    > >
    > > Loaded BE9 on there and started doing batches of 10 backups, then

    > installing
    > > another piece of software. All went fine until i stuck on the Dell Open
    > > Manage stuff. This seemed to total the backups and they were back to

    their
    > > random, might work or might not.
    > >
    > > I removed the OpenManage stuff and all seems to be ok again now. The AV
    > > software (Inoculan 4.5) is quite happy running in the background and all
    > > other software is ok. This may be a problem for people who use these

    disks
    > > to install windows from as i think it installs by default all the

    > OpenManage
    > > stuff, the last install i did straight from the Win2kSvr CD. I hope this
    > > helps anyone who may be experiencing the same problems.

  4. Re: Remote Agent Timeout

    Okay Phil, I talked to that server admin and we will be removing that
    software on Friday. Then we will start our fulls. So by next Monday I'll
    reply and let you know how it went.

    > > I am having this same problem! Yet I don't have the open manage

    software
    > > installed on the backup server but it is on the remote server...should I
    > > take it off or stop the service on the remote server?
    > >
    > > Thanks!
    > >
    > > Jason
    > > "Phil Milroy" wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I was getting problems on some Dell PowerEdge 4600's running W2k

    Server
    > > SP3.
    > > > Nothing special on the boxes software wise and both with slightly

    > > different
    > > > software on them. Each night the backup would hang at apparently

    random
    > > > intervals, sometimes retensioning the tape, sometimes at 97% or 49%,

    no
    > > > particular pattern.
    > > >
    > > > I got onto Veritas and they suggested a few pretty dumb things like
    > > > disabling the AV software, changing the SCSI ID of the tape drive, all

    > > no
    > > > avail (not surprisingly imho). As we're getting the 4600's in as

    > standard
    > > > now i've had to work out what the hell was going on so i took a spare

    > 4600
    > > > and completely reinstalled it.
    > > >
    > > > Loaded BE9 on there and started doing batches of 10 backups, then

    > > installing
    > > > another piece of software. All went fine until i stuck on the Dell

    Open
    > > > Manage stuff. This seemed to total the backups and they were back to

    > their
    > > > random, might work or might not.
    > > >
    > > > I removed the OpenManage stuff and all seems to be ok again now. The

    AV
    > > > software (Inoculan 4.5) is quite happy running in the background and

    all
    > > > other software is ok. This may be a problem for people who use these

    > disks
    > > > to install windows from as i think it installs by default all the

    > > OpenManage
    > > > stuff, the last install i did straight from the Win2kSvr CD. I hope

    this
    > > > helps anyone who may be experiencing the same problems.

  5. Re: Remote Agent Timeout

    Well Phil, I think it did help but it didn't solve my problem, I still had 3
    Remote agent timeouts this weekend. But if you compare it to the weekend
    before where I had around 15 remote agent timeouts...things weren't so bad.
    Speeds seemed to stay about the same. And all data was backed up in a
    reasonable amount of time.
    Thanks for the headsup on this. I think it does help! I"m still curious if
    anyone else is having this problem and if this helped them out...so please
    reply and let us know.

    Thanks Phil!

    Jason

+ Reply to Thread