Restoring NTBackup tapes in Backup Exec - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Restoring NTBackup tapes in Backup Exec - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, I have a backup that spans two tapes I made a while ago with NTBackup. I now have Backup Exec Installed, and have asked it to catalog the first tape of the two tapes. It does this without much ...

  1. Restoring NTBackup tapes in Backup Exec

    Hi,

    I have a backup that spans two tapes I made a while ago with NTBackup.

    I now have Backup Exec Installed, and have asked it to catalog the first
    tape of the two tapes.

    It does this without much difficulty, but does not ask for the second tape.

    When I try and restore from this tape, it keeps giving me a message saying
    that I have to catalog the tape first, which I thought I had already done.

    NTBackup itself will now not recognize the tape as being one of its own, and
    insists on erasing the tape before it will do anything with it.

    Is there any way to get Backup Exec to restore all the info from the two
    tapes, so that I can redo the backup using it rather than NTBackup?

    Thanks,

    Eoin Kennedy

  2. Re: Restoring NTBackup tapes in Backup Exec

    If NTBackup won't read the tape, the tape itself may have gone bad. If
    so, there's not much you can do.

    Have you tried inventory and catalog on the second tape by itself?

    Eoin Kennedy wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I have a backup that spans two tapes I made a while ago with NTBackup.
    >
    >I now have Backup Exec Installed, and have asked it to catalog the first
    >tape of the two tapes.
    >
    >It does this without much difficulty, but does not ask for the second tape.
    >
    >When I try and restore from this tape, it keeps giving me a message saying
    >that I have to catalog the tape first, which I thought I had already done.
    >
    >NTBackup itself will now not recognize the tape as being one of its own, and
    >insists on erasing the tape before it will do anything with it.
    >
    >Is there any way to get Backup Exec to restore all the info from the two
    >tapes, so that I can redo the backup using it rather than NTBackup?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Eoin Kennedy

  3. Re: Restoring NTBackup tapes in Backup Exec

    I managed to restore the data by hooking the tape drive to another computer,
    so the media itself is okay.

    Its seems to be an issue with multiple tape backups done using NTBackup, and
    then cataloged in Backup Exec.
    I have another backup that consists of two tapes, and then same thing
    occurs.
    I tell Backup Exec to catalog the first tape, which it does, but it does not
    ask for the second tape.
    When I get it to catalog the second tape, it says that the media has already
    been cataloged, and won't go any further.

    NTBackup itself now sees any media that Backup Exec has done anything to as
    unrecognized, and will not do anything to it.

    Eoin

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > If NTBackup won't read the tape, the tape itself may have gone bad. If
    > so, there's not much you can do.
    >
    > Have you tried inventory and catalog on the second tape by itself?
    >
    > Eoin Kennedy wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >I have a backup that spans two tapes I made a while ago with NTBackup.
    > >
    > >I now have Backup Exec Installed, and have asked it to catalog the first
    > >tape of the two tapes.
    > >
    > >It does this without much difficulty, but does not ask for the second

    tape.

    > >When I try and restore from this tape, it keeps giving me a message

    saying
    > >that I have to catalog the tape first, which I thought I had already

    done.

    > >NTBackup itself will now not recognize the tape as being one of its own,

    and
    > >insists on erasing the tape before it will do anything with it.
    > >
    > >Is there any way to get Backup Exec to restore all the info from the two
    > >tapes, so that I can redo the backup using it rather than NTBackup?
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Eoin Kennedy

+ Reply to Thread