IDR - we are sick of BE !!!! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR - we are sick of BE !!!! - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have a Dell Poweredge SCSI RAID 5 Windows 2000 server protected by v8.6 of your expensive your software and thought we were covered.... However following a hardware failure a few weeks ago, we found the IDR software does not ...

  1. IDR - we are sick of BE !!!!

    We have a Dell Poweredge SCSI RAID 5 Windows 2000 server protected by v8.6
    of your expensive your software and thought we were covered.... However
    following a hardware failure a few weeks ago, we found the IDR software does
    not work properly and we cannot perform a DR to new hardware from the IDR
    CD and full backup Tape..

    We are very experienced IT pros - heaven help laymen if our experiences of
    Veritas and BE are anything to go by!!!

    We do a full backup every night. We also have IDR, Exchange, Open File Manager
    software installed also.

    We have created the IDR image to CD, and have a full backup tape. We have
    been trying to perform an IDR Reocvery for 2 weeks now without success..

    The second / test restore server hardware is identical in every way. Disks,
    controller and RAID version included.

    We can boot the IDR CD, we can restore C drive and D drive sets. Fine.

    System State - here is where the problem started. Despite having identical
    hardware we couldnt restore ths system state at all. Various errors were
    recorded. Finally we found a post on a newsgroup about enabling a network
    card (and hey presto - system state SAID it was restored.

    On rebooting after restoring the system state, we get "inaccessible boot
    device". Why? we dont know. Surely restoring the system state MEANS
    restoring all the files, registry entries etc. from the original system...
    This clearly hasnt happened as otherwise (the hardware beibg the same)
    it would boot..

    I have been using BE for a couple of years now, and I must say it is the
    buiggiest, most frustrating soiftware I have ever used. I am now looking
    at buying (and recommending for our 2000 clients) Retrospect which I believe
    actually works.

    We have hunted support pages, documents, newsgroup, manuals etc. Nothing.

  2. Re: IDR - we are sick of BE !!!!

    Hey Dave,

    Chill out man! Have you tried building your second box and getting the
    restore to merge registry software/hardware settings? Remember, your not
    restoring on the same hardware, but a duplicate. The hardware in your
    replica box will NOT be the same, even though it's the same type of
    hardware, W2K will have difefrent registry entries (God Bless those boys
    from the Forces of Darkness!). I found this out myself the last couple of
    days. Although I must admit. I installed v9 4 weeks ago and still am having
    problems. I was on a hotsite business continuity update job the last three
    days......and it failed.....I agree with your comment on the layman.....

    Try treating your restore like you were putting on a difefrent brand box and
    you may get results. If you don't have a proceedure for that lemme know and
    I'll see if I can dig something up for you.

    I dunno. With regards to Retrospect, the grass is always greener Dave (I
    find).

    Cheers,
    Rob.

    "Dave" wrote in message news:3ec38a4b$1@hronntp01....

    > We have a Dell Poweredge SCSI RAID 5 Windows 2000 server protected by v8.6
    > of your expensive your software and thought we were covered.... However
    > following a hardware failure a few weeks ago, we found the IDR software

    does
    > not work properly and we cannot perform a DR to new hardware from the IDR
    > CD and full backup Tape..
    >
    > We are very experienced IT pros - heaven help laymen if our experiences of
    > Veritas and BE are anything to go by!!!
    >
    > We do a full backup every night. We also have IDR, Exchange, Open File

    Manager
    > software installed also.
    >
    > We have created the IDR image to CD, and have a full backup tape. We have
    > been trying to perform an IDR Reocvery for 2 weeks now without success..
    >
    > The second / test restore server hardware is identical in every way.

    Disks,
    > controller and RAID version included.
    >
    > We can boot the IDR CD, we can restore C drive and D drive sets. Fine.
    >
    > System State - here is where the problem started. Despite having

    identical
    > hardware we couldnt restore ths system state at all. Various errors were
    > recorded. Finally we found a post on a newsgroup about enabling a

    network
    > card (and hey presto - system state SAID it was restored.
    >
    > On rebooting after restoring the system state, we get "inaccessible boot
    > device". Why? we dont know. Surely restoring the system state MEANS
    > restoring all the files, registry entries etc. from the original system...
    > This clearly hasnt happened as otherwise (the hardware beibg the same)
    > it would boot..
    >
    > I have been using BE for a couple of years now, and I must say it is the
    > buiggiest, most frustrating soiftware I have ever used. I am now

    looking
    > at buying (and recommending for our 2000 clients) Retrospect which I

    believe
    > actually works.
    >
    > We have hunted support pages, documents, newsgroup, manuals etc.

    Nothing.

  3. Re: IDR - we are sick of BE !!!!

    You are not the only one sick of BE. I am about ready to dump them as well.
    Since installing BE 9.0 (which is even more bug ridden than 8.6) about a
    month ago, we have not even been able to complete a single backup
    successfully. When I finally got through to Veritas support, which was a
    wonder in itself since they are backlogged beyond belief trying to support
    the horror of 9.0, I was given a choice: back out to 8.6, or wait for BE
    9.x, which is supposedly coming out soon and corrects 200+ issues discovered
    since Veritas threw it over the wall.

    "Dave" wrote in message news:3ec38a4b$1@hronntp01....

    > We have a Dell Poweredge SCSI RAID 5 Windows 2000 server protected by v8.6
    > of your expensive your software and thought we were covered.... However
    > following a hardware failure a few weeks ago, we found the IDR software

    does
    > not work properly and we cannot perform a DR to new hardware from the IDR
    > CD and full backup Tape..
    >
    > We are very experienced IT pros - heaven help laymen if our experiences of
    > Veritas and BE are anything to go by!!!
    >
    > We do a full backup every night. We also have IDR, Exchange, Open File

    Manager
    > software installed also.
    >
    > We have created the IDR image to CD, and have a full backup tape. We have
    > been trying to perform an IDR Reocvery for 2 weeks now without success..
    >
    > The second / test restore server hardware is identical in every way.

    Disks,
    > controller and RAID version included.
    >
    > We can boot the IDR CD, we can restore C drive and D drive sets. Fine.
    >
    > System State - here is where the problem started. Despite having

    identical
    > hardware we couldnt restore ths system state at all. Various errors were
    > recorded. Finally we found a post on a newsgroup about enabling a

    network
    > card (and hey presto - system state SAID it was restored.
    >
    > On rebooting after restoring the system state, we get "inaccessible boot
    > device". Why? we dont know. Surely restoring the system state MEANS
    > restoring all the files, registry entries etc. from the original system...
    > This clearly hasnt happened as otherwise (the hardware beibg the same)
    > it would boot..
    >
    > I have been using BE for a couple of years now, and I must say it is the
    > buiggiest, most frustrating soiftware I have ever used. I am now

    looking
    > at buying (and recommending for our 2000 clients) Retrospect which I

    believe
    > actually works.
    >
    > We have hunted support pages, documents, newsgroup, manuals etc.

    Nothing.

  4. Re: IDR - we are sick of BE !!!!

    Re the INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE error, I have always been able to correct
    this by booting off the Windows 2000 CD and running setup again and
    reinstalling the OS files. All your existing apps/services will still be
    there upon completion - you will have to reinstall all Win2K service packs
    and patches though. My servers are not PDCs and I don't run Exchange or
    AD so I cannot speak to what horrors, if any, might result from reinstalling
    the OS.

    Perhaps the drive geometry is slightly different (using exact same make and
    model drives in the RAID array?), system BIOS rev slightly different, or the
    RAID controller's BIOS rev is different? IIRC, IDR does not create the
    volumes for you (one of my pet peeves), so when you manually allocated the
    volumes on the destination you could have been one byte off on the volume
    size and that could throw a blue screen.

    BTW, I am now using PowerQuest V2i Protector on *my* Dell Poweredge Windows
    2000 boxes with RAID 5 and am quite pleased....

    HTH,
    -- Paul

    "Dave" wrote in message news:3ec38a4b$1@hronntp01....

    > We have a Dell Poweredge SCSI RAID 5 Windows 2000 server protected by v8.6
    > of your expensive your software and thought we were covered.... However
    > following a hardware failure a few weeks ago, we found the IDR software

    does
    > not work properly and we cannot perform a DR to new hardware from the IDR
    > CD and full backup Tape..
    >
    > We are very experienced IT pros - heaven help laymen if our experiences of
    > Veritas and BE are anything to go by!!!
    >
    > We do a full backup every night. We also have IDR, Exchange, Open File

    Manager
    > software installed also.
    >
    > We have created the IDR image to CD, and have a full backup tape. We have
    > been trying to perform an IDR Reocvery for 2 weeks now without success..
    >
    > The second / test restore server hardware is identical in every way.

    Disks,
    > controller and RAID version included.
    >
    > We can boot the IDR CD, we can restore C drive and D drive sets. Fine.
    >
    > System State - here is where the problem started. Despite having

    identical
    > hardware we couldnt restore ths system state at all. Various errors were
    > recorded. Finally we found a post on a newsgroup about enabling a

    network
    > card (and hey presto - system state SAID it was restored.
    >
    > On rebooting after restoring the system state, we get "inaccessible boot
    > device". Why? we dont know. Surely restoring the system state MEANS
    > restoring all the files, registry entries etc. from the original system...
    > This clearly hasnt happened as otherwise (the hardware beibg the same)
    > it would boot..
    >
    > I have been using BE for a couple of years now, and I must say it is the
    > buiggiest, most frustrating soiftware I have ever used. I am now

    looking
    > at buying (and recommending for our 2000 clients) Retrospect which I

    believe
    > actually works.
    >
    > We have hunted support pages, documents, newsgroup, manuals etc.

    Nothing.

  5. Re: IDR - we are sick of BE !!!!

    Hi Rob

    Wondering if I could take you up on your offer re procedure for restoring
    on a different box. From what i am reading in this newsgroup, Veritas IDR
    is only good for replacing a failed hard drive on an existing server. To
    me Disaster Recovery goes beyond a failed hard drive, thats what you have
    RAID and Hot Swap drives for!

    I want to be able to restore an existing system (W2K & W03 with and without
    AD, SBS02/03) to potentially completely different hardware in the case of
    a real disaster.

    Is there a way that I can incorporate part of IDR to do this? Or am I looking
    at a completely manual rebuild (ie Windows, Apps, Restore Data)?

    Any tips or links would be much appreciated.

    Thanks

    Shane

    "Rob Heffernan" wrote:
> [...]

    >> recorded. Finally we found a post on a newsgroup about enabling a

    >network
    >> card (and hey presto - system state SAID it was restored.
    >>
    >> On rebooting after restoring the system state, we get "inaccessible boot
    >> device". Why? we dont know. Surely restoring the system state MEANS
    >> restoring all the files, registry entries etc. from the original system...
    >> This clearly hasnt happened as otherwise (the hardware beibg the same)
    >> it would boot..
    >>
    >> I have been using BE for a couple of years now, and I must say it is the
    >> buiggiest, most frustrating soiftware I have ever used. I am now

    >looking
    >> at buying (and recommending for our 2000 clients) Retrospect which I

    >believe
    >> actually works.
    >>
    >> We have hunted support pages, documents, newsgroup, manuals etc.

  6. Re: IDR - we are sick of BE !!!!

    Hi there Dave,

    Using V9.0 on W2K and experiencing exactly the same problem. Trying to restore
    onto a Compaq DL380 with one two-disk mirror (system) and one 4-disk RAID
    5 (data).
    Everything Looks good until final boot-up and then get BSD, inaccessible_boot_device.
    Might have something to do with the fact that I have to load 3rd party SCSI
    drivers (F6 on W2K setup), but cant see why seeing as IDR should be making
    an image of the system as it was up and running..?
    Running as a DC, and Exchange server, so the previous suggestion of reinstalling
    from CD is a no-go I think.

    Frustrated by it, and would dearly love it to work, so come on veritas, have
    you an answer?

    "Dave" wrote:

    >We have a Dell Poweredge SCSI RAID 5 Windows 2000 server protected by v8.6
    >of your expensive your software and thought we were covered.... However
    >following a hardware failure a few weeks ago, we found the IDR software

    does
    >not work properly and we cannot perform a DR to new hardware from the IDR
    >CD and full backup Tape..
    >
    >We are very experienced IT pros - heaven help laymen if our experiences

    of
    >Veritas and BE are anything to go by!!!
    >
    >We do a full backup every night. We also have IDR, Exchange, Open File

    Manager
    >software installed also.
    >
    >We have created the IDR image to CD, and have a full backup tape. We have
    >been trying to perform an IDR Reocvery for 2 weeks now without success..
    >
    >The second / test restore server hardware is identical in every way. Disks,
    >controller and RAID version included.
    >
    >We can boot the IDR CD, we can restore C drive and D drive sets. Fine.
    >
    >System State - here is where the problem started. Despite having identical
    >hardware we couldnt restore ths system state at all. Various errors were
    >recorded. Finally we found a post on a newsgroup about enabling a network
    >card (and hey presto - system state SAID it was restored.
    >
    >On rebooting after restoring the system state, we get "inaccessible boot
    >device". Why? we dont know. Surely restoring the system state MEANS
    >restoring all the files, registry entries etc. from the original system...
    > This clearly hasnt happened as otherwise (the hardware beibg the same)
    >it would boot..
    >
    >I have been using BE for a couple of years now, and I must say it is the
    >buiggiest, most frustrating soiftware I have ever used. I am now looking
    >at buying (and recommending for our 2000 clients) Retrospect which I believe
    >actually works.
    >
    >We have hunted support pages, documents, newsgroup, manuals etc. Nothing.

+ Reply to Thread