system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED - Veritas Backup Exec ; If anyone here could help I'd really appreciate it... Backup 8.6, latest build, backup server is w2k sp3, domain controller is sp3. I'm getting : ================================================== ==================== Job Operation - Backup Media operation - overwrite. Hardware compression enabled. ================================================== ==================== ...

  1. system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED

    If anyone here could help I'd really appreciate it... Backup 8.6, latest
    build, backup server is w2k sp3, domain controller is sp3.

    I'm getting :
    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - overwrite.
    Hardware compression enabled.
    Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    Access is denied.

    To Backup or Restore System State, Administrator privileges are required.

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    All the other servers (non-domain controllers) have no problem with the
    system state backup....

    the account (windowsad\backup) is a domain admin account, I've tried setting
    the backup user as "login as service" for the agent ... but nothing has
    worked. Oddly, the backup of the C$ share with the same account works fine,
    which makes me think its not a permissions problem....

    Anyone have any insight?

    -- Mike Rivett
    rivettmj@nospamrivett.org

  2. Re: system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED

    Hi Mike,

    I had this one a while ago... System state backup normally works, but
    suddenly stops working for no apparent reason... no re-boots to server or
    anything changed.

    The way I fixed it was to stop and restart the Agent service on the remote
    machine which you are backing up. Re-ran the job and all of a sudden it
    connects.

    I think this error message seems to be a bit generic, meaning it could not
    connect to the agent service, rather than just permissions.

    Hope this helps...

    "Mike Rivett" wrote in message
    > If anyone here could help I'd really appreciate it... Backup 8.6, latest
    > build, backup server is w2k sp3, domain controller is sp3.
    >
    > I'm getting :
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Job Operation - Backup
    > Media operation - overwrite.
    > Hardware compression enabled.
    > ================================================== ====================
    > Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    > Access is denied.
    >
    > To Backup or Restore System State, Administrator privileges are required.
    >

    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > All the other servers (non-domain controllers) have no problem with the
    > system state backup....
    >
    > the account (windowsad\backup) is a domain admin account, I've tried

    setting
    > the backup user as "login as service" for the agent ... but nothing has
    > worked. Oddly, the backup of the C$ share with the same account works

    fine,
    > which makes me think its not a permissions problem....
    >

    > Anyone have any insight?
    >
    > -- Mike Rivett
    > rivettmj@nospamrivett.org

  3. Re: system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED

    I was thinking along the same lines, I rebooted both servers (the DC and the
    backup server), and I still have the same problem.

    -- Mike Rivett

    "Jeff Whitehead" wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I had this one a while ago... System state backup normally works, but
    > suddenly stops working for no apparent reason... no re-boots to server or
    > anything changed.
    >
    > The way I fixed it was to stop and restart the Agent service on the remote
    > machine which you are backing up. Re-ran the job and all of a sudden it
    > connects.
    >
    > I think this error message seems to be a bit generic, meaning it could not
    > connect to the agent service, rather than just permissions.
    >
    > Hope this helps...
    >

    > "Mike Rivett" wrote in message
    > > If anyone here could help I'd really appreciate it... Backup 8.6, latest
    > > build, backup server is w2k sp3, domain controller is sp3.
    > >
    > > I'm getting :
    > > ================================================== ====================
    > > Job Operation - Backup
    > > Media operation - overwrite.
    > > Hardware compression enabled.
    > > ================================================== ====================
    > > Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    > > Access is denied.
    > >
    > > To Backup or Restore System State, Administrator privileges are

    required.

    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > >
    > > All the other servers (non-domain controllers) have no problem with the
    > > system state backup....
    > >
    > > the account (windowsad\backup) is a domain admin account, I've tried

    > setting
    > > the backup user as "login as service" for the agent ... but nothing has
    > > worked. Oddly, the backup of the C$ share with the same account works

    > fine,
    > > which makes me think its not a permissions problem....
    > >

    > > Anyone have any insight?
    > >
    > > -- Mike Rivett
    > > rivettmj@nospamrivett.org

  4. Re: system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED

    Well I fixed the problem uninstalled the agents, removed every trace of
    the agents from the registry, rebooted, installed the agents again,
    rebooted, and changed the password on the backup account to a password under
    14 characters long (old one was over 25) (I have *no* idea why it worked on
    the other servers.... but my new shorter password seems to have fixed the
    problem...

    -- Mike

    > I was thinking along the same lines, I rebooted both servers (the DC and

    the
    > backup server), and I still have the same problem.
    >
    > -- Mike Rivett
    >
    > "Jeff Whitehead" wrote in message
    > > Hi Mike,
    > >
    > > I had this one a while ago... System state backup normally works, but
    > > suddenly stops working for no apparent reason... no re-boots to server

    or
    > > anything changed.
    > >
    > > The way I fixed it was to stop and restart the Agent service on the

    remote
    > > machine which you are backing up. Re-ran the job and all of a sudden it
    > > connects.
    > >
    > > I think this error message seems to be a bit generic, meaning it could

    not
    > > connect to the agent service, rather than just permissions.
    > >
    > > Hope this helps...
    > >

    > > "Mike Rivett" wrote in message
    > > > If anyone here could help I'd really appreciate it... Backup 8.6,

    latest
    > > > build, backup server is w2k sp3, domain controller is sp3.
    > > >
    > > > I'm getting :
    > > > ================================================== ====================
    > > > Job Operation - Backup
    > > > Media operation - overwrite.
    > > > Hardware compression enabled.
    > > > ================================================== ====================
    > > > Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    > > > Access is denied.
    > > >
    > > > To Backup or Restore System State, Administrator privileges are

    > required.
    > > >

    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > > Unable to attach to \\WINDOWS-DC\System?State.
    > > > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    > > >
    > > > All the other servers (non-domain controllers) have no problem with

    the
    > > > system state backup....
    > > >
    > > > the account (windowsad\backup) is a domain admin account, I've tried

    > > setting
    > > > the backup user as "login as service" for the agent ... but nothing

    has
    > > > worked. Oddly, the backup of the C$ share with the same account works

    > > fine,
    > > > which makes me think its not a permissions problem....
    > > >

    > > > Anyone have any insight?
    > > >
    > > > -- Mike Rivett
    > > > rivettmj@nospamrivett.org

  5. Re: system state on active directory domain controller failed - ACCESS DENIED

    "Mike Rivett" wrote:
    >Well I fixed the problem uninstalled the agents, removed every trace

    of
    >the agents from the registry, rebooted, installed the agents again,
    >rebooted, and changed the password on the backup account to a password under
    >14 characters long (old one was over 25) (I have *no* idea why it worked

    on
    >the other servers.... but my new shorter password seems to have fixed the
    >problem...
    >
    >-- Mike
    >
    >"Mike Rivett" wrote in message
    >> I was thinking along the same lines, I rebooted both servers (the DC and

    >the
    >> backup server), and I still have the same problem.
    >>
    >> -- Mike Rivett
    >>
    >> "Jeff Whitehead" wrote in message
    >> > Hi Mike,
    >> >
    >> > I had this one a while ago... System state backup normally works, but
    >> > suddenly stops working for no apparent reason... no re-boots to server

    >or
    >> > anything changed.
    >> >
    >> > The way I fixed it was to stop and restart the Agent service on the

    >remote
    >> > machine which you are backing up. Re-ran the job and all of a sudden

    it
    >> > connects.
    >> >
    >> > I think this error message seems to be a bit generic, meaning it could

    >not
    >> > connect to the agent service, rather than just permissions.
    >> >
    >> > Hope this helps...
    >> >

    >> > "Mike Rivett" wrote in message

    >latest

    >> required.

    >the

    >> > setting

    >has
    >> > fine,

    Hello,

    Technote ID 233312 help me. The file Bewinui.uni had incorrect authentication
    information. Stop all Backup Exec Services, rename the file and start the
    Backup Exec services again. Run a Test Backup.

    Hope this helps.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread