Best practice for upgrading from 8.6 to 9? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Best practice for upgrading from 8.6 to 9? - Veritas Backup Exec ; I usually avoid installing a new version over an old because it's can often be more problematic than a 'clean' install. I would like to perform the cleanest upgrade to version 9 from ver 8.6 and retain all current info/settings ...

  1. Best practice for upgrading from 8.6 to 9?

    I usually avoid installing a new version over an old because it's can often
    be more problematic than a 'clean' install. I would like to perform the
    cleanest upgrade to version 9 from ver 8.6 and retain all current info/settings
    (backup jobs, media sets, etc.) What is the best practice in doing so?
    Thanks for any insight!

  2. Re: Best practice for upgrading from 8.6 to 9?

    If I were you, I would wait. Backup Exec 9 stinks. I upgraded and have been
    sorry ever since.

    "DMC" wrote in message news:3ebbf744$1@hronntp01....

    > I usually avoid installing a new version over an old because it's can

    often
    > be more problematic than a 'clean' install. I would like to perform the
    > cleanest upgrade to version 9 from ver 8.6 and retain all current

    info/settings
    > (backup jobs, media sets, etc.) What is the best practice in doing so?
    > Thanks for any insight!

  3. Re: Best practice for upgrading from 8.6 to 9?

    Really? Other than the new interface, everything seems to work. And I
    really like being able to stop and start the services from within the
    application. OK, the HTML job logs that you get with the email
    notifications *are* pretty difficult to use. I think I liked the plain text
    logs from previous versions better. And I *would* like to be able to edit
    jobs in the Job Monitor tab like previous version. But overall, I'd say it
    looks like a decent upgrade. But then I have a pretty simple installation.

    "Bob Riedel" wrote in message
    > If I were you, I would wait. Backup Exec 9 stinks. I upgraded and have

    been
    > sorry ever since.
    >
    > "DMC" wrote in message news:3ebbf744$1@hronntp01....
    > >
    > > I usually avoid installing a new version over an old because it's can

    > often
    > > be more problematic than a 'clean' install. I would like to perform the
    > > cleanest upgrade to version 9 from ver 8.6 and retain all current

    > info/settings
    > > (backup jobs, media sets, etc.) What is the best practice in doing so?
    > > Thanks for any insight!

  4. Re: Best practice for upgrading from 8.6 to 9?

    I haven't had a successful backup of anything for a month, although BE 9
    worked when first installed. Tech support at Veritas is nearly useless since
    it is backlogged beyond belief.

    Good luck.

    > > > I usually avoid installing a new version over an old because it's can

    > > often
    > > > be more problematic than a 'clean' install. I would like to perform

    the
    > > > cleanest upgrade to version 9 from ver 8.6 and retain all current

    > > info/settings
    > > > (backup jobs, media sets, etc.) What is the best practice in doing

    so?
    > > > Thanks for any insight!

+ Reply to Thread