extract ghost from tape - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on extract ghost from tape - Veritas Backup Exec ; backup exec 8.6 windows2000 sp3 hp dds-4 data cartridge created ghost image on tape. want to extract the image so as to place somewhere else? --- if I look at tape with veritas it shows as unknow media and I ...

  1. extract ghost from tape

    backup exec 8.6
    windows2000 sp3
    hp dds-4 data cartridge
    created ghost image on tape.
    want to extract the image so as to place somewhere else? --- if I look at
    tape with veritas it shows as unknow media and I can't do anything to it.

    I appreciate any and all help very much.

  2. Re: extract ghost from tape

    If, when you inventory the tape, you get "unknown" or "unrecognized"
    media, you're SOL, and will get nothing off that tape.

    All you can to at this point is re-label the tape and use for a new backup

    bing wrote:

    >backup exec 8.6
    >windows2000 sp3
    >hp dds-4 data cartridge
    >created ghost image on tape.
    >want to extract the image so as to place somewhere else? --- if I look at
    >tape with veritas it shows as unknow media and I can't do anything to it.
    >
    >I appreciate any and all help very much.

  3. Re: extract ghost from tape

    do you think it would be a bad idea just to leave the image on the magnetic
    tape and keep it in storage? veritas doesn't recognize the image but ghost
    does.... I just don't know if the image would hold up if kept in storage on
    magnetic media....... maybe if I re-ghosted every six months? I appreciate
    your help very much.
    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > If, when you inventory the tape, you get "unknown" or "unrecognized"
    > media, you're SOL, and will get nothing off that tape.
    >
    > All you can to at this point is re-label the tape and use for a new backup
    >
    > bing wrote:
    >
    > >backup exec 8.6
    > >windows2000 sp3
    > >hp dds-4 data cartridge
    > >created ghost image on tape.
    > >want to extract the image so as to place somewhere else? --- if I look at
    > >tape with veritas it shows as unknow media and I can't do anything to it.
    > >
    > >I appreciate any and all help very much.

  4. Re: extract ghost from tape

    Do you mean that you Ghosted diretctly to tape? I thought that you
    meant that you had Ghosted to disk and then backed up the Ghost file.

    if the tape was not created wit BEWS, ArcServe or NTBackup, BEWS
    probably won't be able to read it. There's a tech note detailing what
    products/versions can be read, but I can't find my notes right now.

    bing wrote:

    >do you think it would be a bad idea just to leave the image on the magnetic
    >tape and keep it in storage? veritas doesn't recognize the image but ghost
    >does.... I just don't know if the image would hold up if kept in storage on
    >magnetic media....... maybe if I re-ghosted every six months? I appreciate
    >your help very much.
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >

    >>If, when you inventory the tape, you get "unknown" or "unrecognized"
    >>media, you're SOL, and will get nothing off that tape.
    >>
    >>All you can to at this point is re-label the tape and use for a new backup
    >>
    >>bing wrote:
    >>

    >>>backup exec 8.6
    >>>windows2000 sp3
    >>>hp dds-4 data cartridge
    >>>created ghost image on tape.
    >>>want to extract the image so as to place somewhere else? --- if I look at
    >>>tape with veritas it shows as unknow media and I can't do anything to it.
    >>>
    >>>I appreciate any and all help very much.

  5. Re: extract ghost from tape

    yes --- I placed a spare tape in the drive and ghost acknowledged it and
    successfuly "imaged to file". I went through a trial run and was able to
    get to the last prompt before ghost would reimage my drive from the file --
    I stopped obviously because I didn't want to go all the way.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Do you mean that you Ghosted diretctly to tape? I thought that you
    > meant that you had Ghosted to disk and then backed up the Ghost file.
    >
    > if the tape was not created wit BEWS, ArcServe or NTBackup, BEWS
    > probably won't be able to read it. There's a tech note detailing what
    > products/versions can be read, but I can't find my notes right now.
    >
    > bing wrote:
    >
    > >do you think it would be a bad idea just to leave the image on the

    magnetic
    > >tape and keep it in storage? veritas doesn't recognize the image but

    ghost
    > >does.... I just don't know if the image would hold up if kept in storage

    on
    > >magnetic media....... maybe if I re-ghosted every six months? I

    appreciate
    > >your help very much.
    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >

    > >>If, when you inventory the tape, you get "unknown" or "unrecognized"
    > >>media, you're SOL, and will get nothing off that tape.
    > >>
    > >>All you can to at this point is re-label the tape and use for a new

    backup

    at

    it.

  6. Re: extract ghost from tape

    Finally found it

    http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235199.htm lists the products that
    BEWS can read tapes from. Ghost doesn't appear.

    If ghost recognizes the tape and displays it a a possible restore
    source, unless the tape itself is bad further on, I'd say that the Ghost
    image is indeed usable.

    bing wrote:

    >yes --- I placed a spare tape in the drive and ghost acknowledged it and
    >successfuly "imaged to file". I went through a trial run and was able to
    >get to the last prompt before ghost would reimage my drive from the file --
    >I stopped obviously because I didn't want to go all the way.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >

    >>Do you mean that you Ghosted diretctly to tape? I thought that you
    >>meant that you had Ghosted to disk and then backed up the Ghost file.
    >>
    >>if the tape was not created wit BEWS, ArcServe or NTBackup, BEWS
    >>probably won't be able to read it. There's a tech note detailing what
    >>products/versions can be read, but I can't find my notes right now.
    >>
    >>bing wrote:
    >>

    >>>do you think it would be a bad idea just to leave the image on the
    >>>

    >magnetic
    >

    >>>tape and keep it in storage? veritas doesn't recognize the image but
    >>>

    >ghost
    >

    >>>does.... I just don't know if the image would hold up if kept in storage
    >>>

    >on
    >

    >>>magnetic media....... maybe if I re-ghosted every six months? I
    >>>

    >appreciate
    >

    >>>your help very much.
    >>>"Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    >backup

    >at

    >it.

  7. Re: extract ghost from tape

    I know this is kind of a generic question but typically how long do you
    think that data on magnetic media is good for? i.e. how often do you think
    I should probably re-image the machine on to tape if this is the way I am
    going to do it?

    Again Ken, I thank you very much.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Finally found it
    >
    > http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235199.htm lists the products that
    > BEWS can read tapes from. Ghost doesn't appear.
    >
    > If ghost recognizes the tape and displays it a a possible restore
    > source, unless the tape itself is bad further on, I'd say that the Ghost
    > image is indeed usable.
    >
    > bing wrote:
    >
    > >yes --- I placed a spare tape in the drive and ghost acknowledged it and
    > >successfuly "imaged to file". I went through a trial run and was able to
    > >get to the last prompt before ghost would reimage my drive from the

    file --
    > >I stopped obviously because I didn't want to go all the way.
    > >
    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > >

    > >>Do you mean that you Ghosted diretctly to tape? I thought that you
    > >>meant that you had Ghosted to disk and then backed up the Ghost file.
    > >>
    > >>if the tape was not created wit BEWS, ArcServe or NTBackup, BEWS
    > >>probably won't be able to read it. There's a tech note detailing what
    > >>products/versions can be read, but I can't find my notes right now.

    > >magnetic

    > >ghost

    storage

    > >on

    > >appreciate

    > >backup

    look

    > >at

    > >it.

  8. Re: extract ghost from tape

    That's hard to say. Depends on whether you keep the tape in a
    controlled environment or an office environment. I have successfully
    restored from tapes that were written up to two years earlier. They had
    been store in a computer room environment though.

    The number of passes over read/write heads also has an effect on tape
    usability.

+ Reply to Thread