BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state - Veritas Backup Exec ; NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1 Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not stop when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be controlled in it's present state'. ...

  1. BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1

    Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not stop
    when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    controlled in it's present state'.

    Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.

    Any help greatly appreciated.

    Rob.

  2. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    Unlikely, have had this message before with both BENT and other services,
    and always found it to mean that the server/service is FUBAR, and you need
    to reboot.

    "Rob Heffernan" wrote in message
    > NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1
    >
    > Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not

    stop
    > when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    > controlled in it's present state'.
    >
    > Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    > reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.
    >
    > Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Rob.

  3. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    ....any way to tell why the service went 'FUBAR'?

    "Keith Langmead" wrote in message
    > Unlikely, have had this message before with both BENT and other services,
    > and always found it to mean that the server/service is FUBAR, and you need
    > to reboot.
    >
    > "Rob Heffernan" wrote in message
    > > NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1
    > >
    > > Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not

    > stop
    > > when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    > > controlled in it's present state'.
    > >
    > > Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    > > reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.
    > >
    > > Any help greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > > Rob.

  4. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    In article <3eb7ad92$1@hronntp01.>, rheffernan@oceanfree.net says...
    > Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not stop
    > when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    > controlled in it's present state'.

    I had that happen with 9.0 SP1 - the service actually crashed, and
    generated an XP Error Reporting dialog, but for some reason was still
    running. I killed bengine.exe manually via the Task Manager, and that
    worked for me - the service manager started it back up, and I was able
    to do subsequent backups.

    --
    Jay Levitt |
    Wellesley, MA | Hi!

  5. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    Alright Jay.

    Nice one, but unfortunatly I tried that already and I'm getting an 'Access
    Denied' when I try to kill it.

    "Jay Levitt" wrote in message
    news:MPG.192199c5d7d921ba989690@news.support.verit as.com...
    > In article <3eb7ad92$1@hronntp01.>, rheffernan@oceanfree.net says...
    > > Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not

    stop
    > > when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    > > controlled in it's present state'.

    > I had that happen with 9.0 SP1 - the service actually crashed, and
    > generated an XP Error Reporting dialog, but for some reason was still
    > running. I killed bengine.exe manually via the Task Manager, and that
    > worked for me - the service manager started it back up, and I was able
    > to do subsequent backups.
    >
    > --
    > Jay Levitt |
    > Wellesley, MA | Hi!
    > Faster: jay at jay dot eff-em | Where are we going?
    > http://www.jay.fm | Why am I in this handbasket?

  6. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's presentstate

    You can use KILL from the reskit in this situation

    Rob Heffernan wrote:

    >NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1
    >
    >Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not stop
    >when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    >controlled in it's present state'.
    >
    >Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    >reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.
    >
    >Any help greatly appreciated.
    >
    >Rob.

  7. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    Thanks Ken. I just pulled that up and tried to kill the PID (I did not use
    the 'force' switch) with no success. This had the effect is 'hanging' the
    services window. I will just reboot out-of-hours.

    Thanks anyway.

    Rob.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > You can use KILL from the reskit in this situation
    >
    > Rob Heffernan wrote:
    >
    > >NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1
    > >
    > >Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not

    stop
    > >when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    > >controlled in it's present state'.
    > >
    > >Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    > >reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.
    > >
    > >Any help greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Rob.

  8. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's present state

    Ken.

    I appologise for my last mail. The kill.exe found in the Windows NT Server
    Resourse Kit did the trick. For anyone else out there I used the command

    kill 512

    Where 512 is the process PID number.

    Rob.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > You can use KILL from the reskit in this situation
    >
    > Rob Heffernan wrote:
    >
    > >NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1
    > >
    > >Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not

    stop
    > >when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    > >controlled in it's present state'.
    > >
    > >Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    > >reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.
    > >
    > >Any help greatly appreciated.
    > >
    > >Rob.

  9. Re: BE Server Service: service could not be controlled in it's presentstate

    Yeah, if the task manager won't end it, you usually need to use the
    force option. Sorry, should have mentioned that.

    Rob Heffernan wrote:

    >Thanks Ken. I just pulled that up and tried to kill the PID (I did not use
    >the 'force' switch) with no success. This had the effect is 'hanging' the
    >services window. I will just reboot out-of-hours.
    >
    >Thanks anyway.
    >
    >Rob.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >

    >>You can use KILL from the reskit in this situation
    >>
    >>Rob Heffernan wrote:
    >>

    >>>NT4.0 Server SP6a. BE v9.0 SP1
    >>>
    >>>Regarding a query I posted earlier today. My BE server service will not
    >>>

    >stop
    >

    >>>when I try to manually stop it with a message 'The service could not be
    >>>controlled in it's present state'.
    >>>
    >>>Is there any way I can kill the BE services? Otherwise my box requires a
    >>>reboot which is tough as it is heavily in production.
    >>>
    >>>Any help greatly appreciated.
    >>>
    >>>Rob.

+ Reply to Thread