Scincerly who's using IDR?? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Scincerly who's using IDR?? - Veritas Backup Exec ; We tried to test a recover on a Compaq ML370 g3 server... Here are the point: - 1st try, after reinstalling w2k temp with IDR cd-r boot, manually installed NIC drivers, connected to media server and successfully run the IDR ...

  1. Scincerly who's using IDR??

    We tried to test a recover on a Compaq ML370 g3 server... Here are the point:

    - 1st try, after reinstalling w2k temp with IDR cd-r boot, manually installed
    NIC drivers, connected to media server and successfully run the IDR wizard
    and restore job we rebooted the system with a cool 0x00000000a inaccessible
    boot device.... Of course we where in basic disks conf as the server is clustered.

    - 2nd try with new DRdepwiz... uptodate, it's lightly better but after the
    restore process we have simply no NIC drivers installed and no HBA drivers
    installed ?????? this sound really strange to use why after a complete restore

    of the c$ and system state we do not have the original configuration back
    ???

    Maybe we done something wrong... Any idea???
    I think we will use ghost instead of IDR which does not work in our case.
    thanks
    dino

  2. Re: Scincerly who's using IDR??

    I spent a few days playing with it on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 including a two
    hour call to Veritas Support in which they explained a variety of
    limitations it has. Came to the conclusion that it was not very intelligent
    and was more complex than simply rebuilding Windows from scratch using
    Dell's "Start Here" CD and reloading apps and restoring data (for most
    implementations). It doesn't even get the machine name right if the ISO
    image is created for a remote server. It doesn't keep track of RAID
    controller software, and even after giving that to it during the Windows
    build and then restoring off of tape (registry and all), I ended up with an
    unbootable system. If I'm going to pay for something to simplify my life, I
    want it to simplify my life, not force me to write a 40 page recovery
    document to augment the poor Veritas documentation for this product.

    We're running version 8.6 and I was told that some of the issues are worked
    out with version 9, but we're not going there anytime soon as everything
    else we're doing with Backup Exec is working well.

    "dino" wrote in message

    > We tried to test a recover on a Compaq ML370 g3 server... Here are the

    point:

    > - 1st try, after reinstalling w2k temp with IDR cd-r boot, manually

    installed
    > NIC drivers, connected to media server and successfully run the IDR wizard
    > and restore job we rebooted the system with a cool 0x00000000a

    inaccessible
    > boot device.... Of course we where in basic disks conf as the server is

    clustered.

    > - 2nd try with new DRdepwiz... uptodate, it's lightly better but after the
    > restore process we have simply no NIC drivers installed and no HBA drivers
    > installed ?????? this sound really strange to use why after a complete

    restore

    > of the c$ and system state we do not have the original configuration back
    > ???
    >
    > Maybe we done something wrong... Any idea???
    > I think we will use ghost instead of IDR which does not work in our case.
    > thanks
    > dino

  3. Re: Scincerly who's using IDR??

    I am using V9 on a media server (dell) and have 3 remote servers. A part of
    our test of a server before we will use it in production, we crash the
    server and try IDR. With V9 we haven't got any problems trying to restore a
    remote server. It even gets the rigth tape in the library on the media
    server. We are using floppy idr instead of the CD ISO.

    Else we have the same problems with the agents as a lot the other writing to
    the newsgroup.
    /Jan

    "Phil McNeill" wrote in message
    > I spent a few days playing with it on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 including a

    two
    > hour call to Veritas Support in which they explained a variety of
    > limitations it has. Came to the conclusion that it was not very

    intelligent
    > and was more complex than simply rebuilding Windows from scratch using
    > Dell's "Start Here" CD and reloading apps and restoring data (for most
    > implementations). It doesn't even get the machine name right if the ISO
    > image is created for a remote server. It doesn't keep track of RAID
    > controller software, and even after giving that to it during the Windows
    > build and then restoring off of tape (registry and all), I ended up with

    an
    > unbootable system. If I'm going to pay for something to simplify my life,

    > want it to simplify my life, not force me to write a 40 page recovery
    > document to augment the poor Veritas documentation for this product.
    >
    > We're running version 8.6 and I was told that some of the issues are

    worked
    > out with version 9, but we're not going there anytime soon as everything
    > else we're doing with Backup Exec is working well.
    >

    > "dino" wrote in message
    > >
    > > We tried to test a recover on a Compaq ML370 g3 server... Here are the

    > point:
    > >
    > > - 1st try, after reinstalling w2k temp with IDR cd-r boot, manually

    > installed
    > > NIC drivers, connected to media server and successfully run the IDR

    wizard
    > > and restore job we rebooted the system with a cool 0x00000000a

    > inaccessible
    > > boot device.... Of course we where in basic disks conf as the server is

    > clustered.
    > >
    > > - 2nd try with new DRdepwiz... uptodate, it's lightly better but after

    the
    > > restore process we have simply no NIC drivers installed and no HBA

    drivers
    > > installed ?????? this sound really strange to use why after a complete

    > restore
    > >
    > > of the c$ and system state we do not have the original configuration

    back
    > > ???
    > >
    > > Maybe we done something wrong... Any idea???
    > > I think we will use ghost instead of IDR which does not work in our

    case.
    > > thanks
    > > dino

  4. Re: Scincerly who's using IDR??

    Dino,
    I am in the process of phasing out the flaky, slow BE 8.5/OFO/IDR option in
    my (small) shop in favor of PowerQuest's V2i Protector. I did get IDR to
    work "in the lab", but like the other poster said it needed considerable
    trial and error, and a writeup of a couple pages of step by step "gotchas"
    to watch out for.
    For about $600 V2i does *live* imaging of the server to network attached
    storage, handles open files, and offers true bare metal boot off CD disaster
    recovery. (Ghost needs the server to be down and booted in DOS mode) You
    can mount the remote disk image as a drive letter and selectively restore
    files if needed. I've been playing with V2i the past couple of weeks and
    I'm very impressed with it for a version 1.2 product. Backs up and verifies
    my main server (15GB of data) over the network in 45 minutes vs BE's 6 hours
    (if it completes at all), and takes far less cpu resources. The disaster
    recovery feature is neat - they use something called the Windows "PE"
    pre-installation environment which looks kind of like a mini version of XP
    that auto-detects your network card drivers (even a late-model gigabit NIC),
    gives you the TCP/IP config options, and launches the restore utilities.
    Heck, for a couple hundred bucks I've got a 120GB IDE drive in the back on
    an XP Pro box that I can keep 4 or more backup sets online at any time. For
    a couple hundred more I'm thinking stick a removable firewire drive on the
    XP box and take a weekly backup home with me. **goodbye tape drive**
    Another thing going for PowerQuest is their considerable experience in the
    nuts and bolts of low level disk management (Partition Magic, Server Magic,
    etc.)

    HTH,
    -- Paul

    "dino" wrote in message

    > We tried to test a recover on a Compaq ML370 g3 server... Here are the

    point:

    > - 1st try, after reinstalling w2k temp with IDR cd-r boot, manually

    installed
    > NIC drivers, connected to media server and successfully run the IDR wizard
    > and restore job we rebooted the system with a cool 0x00000000a

    inaccessible
    > boot device.... Of course we where in basic disks conf as the server is

    clustered.

    > - 2nd try with new DRdepwiz... uptodate, it's lightly better but after the
    > restore process we have simply no NIC drivers installed and no HBA drivers
    > installed ?????? this sound really strange to use why after a complete

    restore

    > of the c$ and system state we do not have the original configuration back
    > ???
    >
    > Maybe we done something wrong... Any idea???
    > I think we will use ghost instead of IDR which does not work in our case.
    > thanks
    > dino

  5. Re: Scincerly who's using IDR??

    Phil, v9.0 does not address the RAID issue, testing on my compaq DL360 shows
    this, BSD when booting up after restore...

    "Phil McNeill" wrote:
    >I spent a few days playing with it on a Dell PowerEdge 2650 including a

    two
    >hour call to Veritas Support in which they explained a variety of
    >limitations it has. Came to the conclusion that it was not very intelligent
    >and was more complex than simply rebuilding Windows from scratch using
    >Dell's "Start Here" CD and reloading apps and restoring data (for most
    >implementations). It doesn't even get the machine name right if the ISO
    >image is created for a remote server. It doesn't keep track of RAID
    >controller software, and even after giving that to it during the Windows
    >build and then restoring off of tape (registry and all), I ended up with

    an
    >unbootable system. If I'm going to pay for something to simplify my life,

    >want it to simplify my life, not force me to write a 40 page recovery
    >document to augment the poor Veritas documentation for this product.
    >
    >We're running version 8.6 and I was told that some of the issues are worked
    >out with version 9, but we're not going there anytime soon as everything
    >else we're doing with Backup Exec is working well.
    >

    >"dino" wrote in message
    >>
    >> We tried to test a recover on a Compaq ML370 g3 server... Here are the

    >point:
    >>
    >> - 1st try, after reinstalling w2k temp with IDR cd-r boot, manually

    >installed
    >> NIC drivers, connected to media server and successfully run the IDR wizard
    >> and restore job we rebooted the system with a cool 0x00000000a

    >inaccessible
    >> boot device.... Of course we where in basic disks conf as the server is

    >clustered.
    >>
    >> - 2nd try with new DRdepwiz... uptodate, it's lightly better but after

    the
    >> restore process we have simply no NIC drivers installed and no HBA drivers
    >> installed ?????? this sound really strange to use why after a complete

    >restore
    >>
    >> of the c$ and system state we do not have the original configuration back
    >> ???
    >>
    >> Maybe we done something wrong... Any idea???
    >> I think we will use ghost instead of IDR which does not work in our case.
    >> thanks
    >> dino

+ Reply to Thread