CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a problem with our backup solution. First, a system summary: Software: Veritas BackupExec 8.60 rev 3808 Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP-3 (with all current hotfixes) SCSI Card: Adaptec 29160N with BIOS 3.10 (latest) and Adaptec's own ...

  1. CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    I have a problem with our backup solution. First, a system summary:

    Software: Veritas BackupExec 8.60 rev 3808
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP-3 (with all current hotfixes)
    SCSI Card: Adaptec 29160N with BIOS 3.10 (latest) and Adaptec's own driver
    6.1.530.201 (latest)
    New Tape Drive: HP SureStore DAT40i 40GB Internal (C5686-69203) with Firmware
    C111 (latest) and HP's own driver 1.4.0.0 (not latest)
    Tapes: HP's own original 20/40Gb DDS-4 DAT tapes (C5718A), brand new.

    Now, my errors:
    When a backup job starts, the following error is logged in BackupExec:

    ----- TapeAlert Events -----

    Warning
    Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    have been successfully completed.

    Critical
    Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    Your data is at risk:
    1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    2. Do not use this tape again.
    3. Restart the operation with a different tape.

    --------------------

    Then, during Verify, the following error appears:

    Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from media.

    Error reported:
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    ------------------

    An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time as
    the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify fails:

    Type: Error, Event ID: 7

    ---------------------

    Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.

    The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've tried
    everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot for
    the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own SCSI
    channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late in
    the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  2. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    I'm having the same issues only with exabyte drives. I had accredited it to
    the drives but maybe it is software related...

    I have:
    Veritas 8.6 3808
    2000 sp3
    39160
    M2 drives

    And the same thing, I'm up to date on all drivers, firmware, cables...yet
    still rec'd same errors. Its very annoying!

    Jason
    "Martin Lundmark" wrote in message

    > I have a problem with our backup solution. First, a system summary:
    >
    > Software: Veritas BackupExec 8.60 rev 3808
    > Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP-3 (with all current

    hotfixes)
    > SCSI Card: Adaptec 29160N with BIOS 3.10 (latest) and Adaptec's own driver
    > 6.1.530.201 (latest)
    > New Tape Drive: HP SureStore DAT40i 40GB Internal (C5686-69203) with

    Firmware
    > C111 (latest) and HP's own driver 1.4.0.0 (not latest)
    > Tapes: HP's own original 20/40Gb DDS-4 DAT tapes (C5718A), brand new.
    >
    > Now, my errors:
    > When a backup job starts, the following error is logged in BackupExec:
    >
    > ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >
    > Warning
    > Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    > A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    > have been successfully completed.
    >
    > Critical
    > Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    > Your data is at risk:
    > 1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    > 2. Do not use this tape again.
    > 3. Restart the operation with a different tape.
    >
    > --------------------
    >
    > Then, during Verify, the following error appears:
    >
    > Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from

    media.

    > Error reported:
    > Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > ------------------
    >
    > An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time as
    > the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify

    fails:

    > Type: Error, Event ID: 7
    >
    > ---------------------
    >
    > Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.
    >
    > The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've

    tried
    > everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot for
    > the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own SCSI
    > channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late in
    > the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  3. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    Moin Jason, Moin Martin,
    I have seen this on my servers also.
    The "workaround" was to go to 8.6 3878 and use only ONE drive per
    SCSI-channel and set the SCSI-ID according to BackupExec, eg 10 or higher

    Martin are you quite sure you use the original adaptec driver ??
    I just look and have a version 4.10.4002 from ADAPTEC.
    Adaptec V.:4.0 SP3a ULTRA160->Windows2000
    It seems you have a Microsoft or BackupExec-driver for the 29160/39160.
    From my experience the Microsoft driver has some problems.
    Hope that help and good luck
    Rainer

    "Jason" wrote:
    >I'm having the same issues only with exabyte drives. I had accredited it

    >the drives but maybe it is software related...
    >
    >I have:
    >Veritas 8.6 3808
    >2000 sp3
    >39160
    >M2 drives
    >
    >And the same thing, I'm up to date on all drivers, firmware, cables...yet
    >still rec'd same errors. Its very annoying!
    >
    >Jason
    >"Martin Lundmark" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a problem with our backup solution. First, a system summary:
    >>
    >> Software: Veritas BackupExec 8.60 rev 3808
    >> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP-3 (with all current

    >hotfixes)
    >> SCSI Card: Adaptec 29160N with BIOS 3.10 (latest) and Adaptec's own driver
    >> 6.1.530.201 (latest)
    >> New Tape Drive: HP SureStore DAT40i 40GB Internal (C5686-69203) with

    >Firmware
    >> C111 (latest) and HP's own driver 1.4.0.0 (not latest)
    >> Tapes: HP's own original 20/40Gb DDS-4 DAT tapes (C5718A), brand new.
    >>
    >> Now, my errors:
    >> When a backup job starts, the following error is logged in BackupExec:
    >>
    >> ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >>
    >> Warning
    >> Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    >> A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    >> have been successfully completed.
    >>
    >> Critical
    >> Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    >> Your data is at risk:
    >> 1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    >> 2. Do not use this tape again.
    >> 3. Restart the operation with a different tape.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >>
    >> Then, during Verify, the following error appears:
    >>
    >> Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from

    >media.
    >>
    >> Error reported:
    >> Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >> ------------------
    >>
    >> An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time

    as
    >> the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify

    >fails:

    >> Type: Error, Event ID: 7
    >>
    >> ---------------------
    >>
    >> Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.
    >>
    >> The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've

    >tried
    >> everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot

    for
    >> the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own SCSI
    >> channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late

    in
    >> the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  4. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    Moin, Moin,

    sorry, I missed something important.
    I have updated the 29160/39160 BIOS to 3.10.0
    Hope that help and good luck
    Rainer

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote:

> [...]

    >>> ------------------
    >>>
    >>> An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time

    >as
    >>> the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify

    >>fails:

    >>> Type: Error, Event ID: 7
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------
    >>>
    >>> Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.
    >>>
    >>> The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've

    >>tried
    >>> everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot

    >for
    >>> the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own

    SCSI
    >>> channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late

    >in
    >>> the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  5. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    Thanks, I'll try changing the SCSI ID to 10.
    Yes, I'm sure I have downloaded and installed the Adaptec driver Could you
    provide a link to where you found your driver?

    Regards,

    Martin

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote:

    >Moin, Moin,
    >
    >sorry, I missed something important.
    >I have updated the 29160/39160 BIOS to 3.10.0
    >Hope that help and good luck
    >Rainer
    >
    >"Rainer Schumacher" wrote:
    >>
    >>Moin Jason, Moin Martin,
    >>I have seen this on my servers also.
    >>The "workaround" was to go to 8.6 3878 and use only ONE drive per
    >>SCSI-channel and set the SCSI-ID according to BackupExec, eg 10 or higher
    >>
    >>Martin are you quite sure you use the original adaptec driver ??
    >>I just look and have a version 4.10.4002 from ADAPTEC.
    >>Adaptec V.:4.0 SP3a ULTRA160->Windows2000
    >>It seems you have a Microsoft or BackupExec-driver for the 29160/39160.
    >>From my experience the Microsoft driver has some problems.
    >>Hope that help and good luck
    >>Rainer
    >>
    >>"Jason" wrote:
    >>>I'm having the same issues only with exabyte drives. I had accredited

    >it
    >>>the drives but maybe it is software related...
    >>>
    >>>I have:
    >>>Veritas 8.6 3808
    >>>2000 sp3
    >>>39160
    >>>M2 drives
    >>>
    >>>And the same thing, I'm up to date on all drivers, firmware, cables...yet
    >>>still rec'd same errors. Its very annoying!
    >>>
    >>>Jason
    >>>"Martin Lundmark" wrote in message

    >>>hotfixes)

    driver
    >>>Firmware

    >not

    >>>media.

    >>as
    >>>fails:

    hpdat,

    >>>tried

    >>for

    >SCSI

    >>in

  6. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    Moin Martin,

    sorry, you are rigth. Your driver is from Ultra160 SP4 8-Nov-02 and
    has the FILE-version 6.1.530.201 and from the link:
    http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/sup...dkey=ASC-39160
    So good luck
    Rainer

    "Martin Lundmark" wrote:

    >Thanks, I'll try changing the SCSI ID to 10.
    >Yes, I'm sure I have downloaded and installed the Adaptec driver Could you
    >provide a link to where you found your driver?
    >
    >Regards,
    >
    >Martin
    >
    >"Rainer Schumacher" wrote:
    >>
    >>Moin, Moin,
    >>
    >>sorry, I missed something important.
    >>I have updated the 29160/39160 BIOS to 3.10.0
    >>Hope that help and good luck
    >>Rainer
    >>
    >>"Rainer Schumacher" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Moin Jason, Moin Martin,
    >>>I have seen this on my servers also.
    >>>The "workaround" was to go to 8.6 3878 and use only ONE drive per
    >>>SCSI-channel and set the SCSI-ID according to BackupExec, eg 10 or higher
    >>>
    >>>Martin are you quite sure you use the original adaptec driver ??
    >>>I just look and have a version 4.10.4002 from ADAPTEC.
    >>>Adaptec V.:4.0 SP3a ULTRA160->Windows2000
    >>>It seems you have a Microsoft or BackupExec-driver for the 29160/39160.
    >>>From my experience the Microsoft driver has some problems.
    >>>Hope that help and good luck
    >>>Rainer

    >>it

    >driver

    >>not

    >>>as

    >hpdat,

    >>>for

    >>SCSI

    late
    >>>in

  7. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    I'm also having the same issue with LTO! Both on LTO libraries and single
    drive units.

    Any of you guys had any breakthroughs??

    "Jason" wrote:
    >I'm having the same issues only with exabyte drives. I had accredited it

    >the drives but maybe it is software related...
    >
    >I have:
    >Veritas 8.6 3808
    >2000 sp3
    >39160
    >M2 drives
    >
    >And the same thing, I'm up to date on all drivers, firmware, cables...yet
    >still rec'd same errors. Its very annoying!
    >
    >Jason
    >"Martin Lundmark" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a problem with our backup solution. First, a system summary:
    >>
    >> Software: Veritas BackupExec 8.60 rev 3808
    >> Operating System: Microsoft Windows 2000 Server SP-3 (with all current

    >hotfixes)
    >> SCSI Card: Adaptec 29160N with BIOS 3.10 (latest) and Adaptec's own driver
    >> 6.1.530.201 (latest)
    >> New Tape Drive: HP SureStore DAT40i 40GB Internal (C5686-69203) with

    >Firmware
    >> C111 (latest) and HP's own driver 1.4.0.0 (not latest)
    >> Tapes: HP's own original 20/40Gb DDS-4 DAT tapes (C5718A), brand new.
    >>
    >> Now, my errors:
    >> When a backup job starts, the following error is logged in BackupExec:
    >>
    >> ----- TapeAlert Events -----
    >>
    >> Warning
    >> Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    >> A severe error occurred while reading or writing data. This job may not
    >> have been successfully completed.
    >>
    >> Critical
    >> Device: HP 1 (SERVER)
    >> Your data is at risk:
    >> 1. Copy any data you require from this tape.
    >> 2. Do not use this tape again.
    >> 3. Restart the operation with a different tape.
    >>
    >> --------------------
    >>
    >> Then, during Verify, the following error appears:
    >>
    >> Storage device "HP 1" reported an error on a request to read data from

    >media.
    >>
    >> Error reported:
    >> Data error (cyclic redundancy check).
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >> ------------------
    >>
    >> An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time

    as
    >> the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify

    >fails:

    >> Type: Error, Event ID: 7
    >>
    >> ---------------------
    >>
    >> Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.
    >>
    >> The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've

    >tried
    >> everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot

    for
    >> the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own SCSI
    >> channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late

    in
    >> the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  8. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    Hi again. Still no luck. I have the Adaptec SP4 drivers. I don't know what
    to do, thinking about trying the Veritas driver instead.

    "Rainer Schumacher" wrote:

> [...]

    >>> ------------------
    >>>
    >>> An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time

    >as
    >>> the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify

    >>fails:

    >>> Type: Error, Event ID: 7
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------
    >>>
    >>> Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.
    >>>
    >>> The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've

    >>tried
    >>> everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot

    >for
    >>> the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own

    SCSI
    >>> channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late

    >in
    >>> the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  9. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    Sorry, but no breakthrough. I have updated Bexec to build 3878, no result.

    "Michael" wrote:

> [...]

    >>> ------------------
    >>>
    >>> An error is reported in the Windows System Event Log at the same time

    >as
    >>> the errors above, i.e. twice - once when backup starts, one when verify

    >>fails:

    >>> Type: Error, Event ID: 7
    >>>
    >>> ---------------------
    >>>
    >>> Also, the "Clean" LED on the drive keeps blinking.
    >>>
    >>> The problems started after the Service Pack 3 update. Since then I've

    >>tried
    >>> everything: BIOS/Firmware updates, driver updates, switching PCI slot

    >for
    >>> the SCSI card, replacing the DAT drive, putting the drive on its own

    SCSI
    >>> channel and cable. the CRC error occurs sometimes early, sometimes late

    >in
    >>> the verify process. Hope someone can help, HP couldn't.

  10. Re: CRC Errors on new drive with new tapes

    I having been dealing with this issues for over a year now with our Compaq
    SDLT 110/220 drives.. I have about 30 of them throughout the firm and can
    tell you such stories.. I have been dealing with the top level engineers
    and have not gotten anywhere with them also.. Alot of the problems seem
    to be in the firmware on the drives from what the engineers tell me also..

    We are running the latest version of BE 8.6 and are all attached to the server
    with a 64bit dual channel controllers

    I have been dealing with Compaq with the CRC issues.. They first do not
    want to admit that there is a problem with the drives.. We needed to purchase
    dual channel controllers.. They start by telling me the the server drivers
    are not up to spec.. Then the Compaq tapes are bad (Try getting those replaced
    is like pulling teeth).. I have had over the last year and a half at least
    50 drives replaced..

    We are still seeing the errors and now Compaq tells me that the problem is
    that we need to go back to the Compaq drivers because Veritas is causing
    the issue..

    If you look at the sense key in the event viewer 90% of the time the answer
    is run a cleaning tape.. They say that you should never run the cleaning
    tape until the light on the drive comes on but then why does the sense key
    say run a cleaning tape???? I have tested this and found that the failed
    tape was able to run successfully after the cleaning tape was run..

    Soulition is to go with LTO drives..

+ Reply to Thread