can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi all, Ok, I'm trying to upgrade two things at once, probably not the best idea, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Right now I have BENT 8.5 on a Win2k server, backing up various NT4 clients, Win2kPro ...

  1. can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing?

    Hi all,
    Ok, I'm trying to upgrade two things at once, probably not the best idea,
    but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Right now I have BENT 8.5 on a
    Win2k server, backing up various NT4 clients, Win2kPro clients, and only
    three NT4 servers. The backup server is having all kinds of hardware issues,
    so I'm replacing it with a new system running WinXP. And trying to upgrade
    to BE For Windows Servers 9.0 at the same time. :-(

    I've used BE for years, so I'm not exactly a novice at it, although I'm not
    a jockey, either.

    When I install the software it seems to be fine. Lists the licenses for the
    software itself, and my four licenses for "remote agent for windows servers",
    which used to be what I needed to back up my NTservers (pdc, bdc, print server,
    etc). But when I go to make a selection set for ANY machine (even those with
    no old remote agent installed!) the drives are grayed out.

    Am I missing something or shouldn't backup software actually be able to back
    up client machines? (ok, that's sarcasm, I know I'm missing something...)

    Valerie

  2. Re: can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing?

    Did you install the RemoteAgent Serials on the new BEWS server? Do they
    show when you do Help/About from the GIU?

    valerie wrote:

    >Hi all,
    >Ok, I'm trying to upgrade two things at once, probably not the best idea,
    >but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Right now I have BENT 8.5 on a
    >Win2k server, backing up various NT4 clients, Win2kPro clients, and only
    >three NT4 servers. The backup server is having all kinds of hardware issues,
    >so I'm replacing it with a new system running WinXP. And trying to upgrade
    >to BE For Windows Servers 9.0 at the same time. :-(
    >
    >I've used BE for years, so I'm not exactly a novice at it, although I'm not
    >a jockey, either.
    >
    >When I install the software it seems to be fine. Lists the licenses for the
    >software itself, and my four licenses for "remote agent for windows servers",
    >which used to be what I needed to back up my NTservers (pdc, bdc, print server,
    >etc). But when I go to make a selection set for ANY machine (even those with
    >no old remote agent installed!) the drives are grayed out.
    >
    >Am I missing something or shouldn't backup software actually be able to back
    >up client machines? (ok, that's sarcasm, I know I'm missing something...)
    >
    >Valerie

  3. Re: can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing?

    Yes. More info. I'm now in the process of trying an upgrade on the new hardware.
    I've installed the OLD BE8.5 on the WinXP system, with all it's serial numbers.
    But since 8.5 doesn't so much work on XP, I'm now upgrading the software
    to 9.0. When I did that, all three of my old Remote agent for WinNT/2000
    entries showed up on the license list, but now as Remote Agent for Windows
    servers. Since I didn't know that was going to happen, I appear to have bought
    more than I need, because I have four additional licenses for servers. I
    enter those, so now I have the license for the main program and 7 entries
    for remote agent for servers (but mind you, I only have about 4 remote servers,
    and about 30 remote clients).

    One thing to note is that when I did the installation and checked to install
    items on remote computers, the window that comes up for the remote items
    has nothing for me to check. There are two entries in the left pane, for
    windows and netware stuff, but neither expand to anything and the right pane
    shows no computers.

    HELP!?

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Did you install the RemoteAgent Serials on the new BEWS server? Do they

    >show when you do Help/About from the GIU?
    >
    >valerie wrote:
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>Ok, I'm trying to upgrade two things at once, probably not the best idea,
    >>but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Right now I have BENT 8.5 on

    >>Win2k server, backing up various NT4 clients, Win2kPro clients, and only
    >>three NT4 servers. The backup server is having all kinds of hardware issues,
    >>so I'm replacing it with a new system running WinXP. And trying to upgrade
    >>to BE For Windows Servers 9.0 at the same time. :-(
    >>
    >>I've used BE for years, so I'm not exactly a novice at it, although I'm

    not
    >>a jockey, either.
    >>
    >>When I install the software it seems to be fine. Lists the licenses for

    the
    >>software itself, and my four licenses for "remote agent for windows servers",
    >>which used to be what I needed to back up my NTservers (pdc, bdc, print

    server,
    >>etc). But when I go to make a selection set for ANY machine (even those

    with
    >>no old remote agent installed!) the drives are grayed out.
    >>
    >>Am I missing something or shouldn't backup software actually be able to

    back
    >>up client machines? (ok, that's sarcasm, I know I'm missing something...)
    >>
    >>Valerie

  4. Re: can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing?

    As long as the serials show in Help/About, you should be able to go to
    each remote server and run the silent install locally

    valerie wrote:

    >Yes. More info. I'm now in the process of trying an upgrade on the new hardware.
    >I've installed the OLD BE8.5 on the WinXP system, with all it's serial numbers.
    >But since 8.5 doesn't so much work on XP, I'm now upgrading the software
    >to 9.0. When I did that, all three of my old Remote agent for WinNT/2000
    >entries showed up on the license list, but now as Remote Agent for Windows
    >servers. Since I didn't know that was going to happen, I appear to have bought
    >more than I need, because I have four additional licenses for servers. I
    >enter those, so now I have the license for the main program and 7 entries
    >for remote agent for servers (but mind you, I only have about 4 remote servers,
    >and about 30 remote clients).
    >
    >One thing to note is that when I did the installation and checked to install
    >items on remote computers, the window that comes up for the remote items
    >has nothing for me to check. There are two entries in the left pane, for
    >windows and netware stuff, but neither expand to anything and the right pane
    >shows no computers.
    >
    >HELP!?
    >

    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>Did you install the RemoteAgent Serials on the new BEWS server? Do they
    >>

    >>show when you do Help/About from the GIU?
    >>
    >>valerie wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hi all,
    >>>Ok, I'm trying to upgrade two things at once, probably not the best idea,
    >>>but you've gotta do what you've gotta do. Right now I have BENT 8.5 on

    >>>Win2k server, backing up various NT4 clients, Win2kPro clients, and only
    >>>three NT4 servers. The backup server is having all kinds of hardware issues,
    >>>so I'm replacing it with a new system running WinXP. And trying to upgrade
    >>>to BE For Windows Servers 9.0 at the same time. :-(
    >>>
    >>>I've used BE for years, so I'm not exactly a novice at it, although I'm
    >>>

    >not
    >

    >>>a jockey, either.
    >>>
    >>>When I install the software it seems to be fine. Lists the licenses for
    >>>

    >the
    >

    >>>software itself, and my four licenses for "remote agent for windows servers",
    >>>which used to be what I needed to back up my NTservers (pdc, bdc, print
    >>>

    >server,
    >

    >>>etc). But when I go to make a selection set for ANY machine (even those
    >>>

    >with
    >

    >>>no old remote agent installed!) the drives are grayed out.
    >>>
    >>>Am I missing something or shouldn't backup software actually be able to
    >>>

    >back
    >

    >>>up client machines? (ok, that's sarcasm, I know I'm missing something...)
    >>>
    >>>Valerie

  5. Re: can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing?

    Help me out here... for some reason this makes no sense. I'm not only asking
    (really) about being able to back up the PDC and BDC (just to be clear, I
    have NO other backupexec "servers": just this one). I can't back up the CLIENT
    systems, the ones that aren't servers of any way, shape or form: they are
    running NTWorkstation, Win 2K Pro and Win XP Pro. Are you telling me that
    I have to go to every desktop client system personally to install software
    that will enable me to back them up? That's NOT the way it used to work and
    it seems darned ridiculous.

    Valerie

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >As long as the serials show in Help/About, you should be able to go to
    >each remote server and run the silent install locally
    >
    >valerie wrote:
    >
    >>Yes. More info. I'm now in the process of trying an upgrade on the new

    hardware.
    >>I've installed the OLD BE8.5 on the WinXP system, with all it's serial

    numbers.
    >>But since 8.5 doesn't so much work on XP, I'm now upgrading the software
    >>to 9.0. When I did that, all three of my old Remote agent for WinNT/2000
    >>entries showed up on the license list, but now as Remote Agent for Windows
    >>servers. Since I didn't know that was going to happen, I appear to have

    bought
    >>more than I need, because I have four additional licenses for servers.

    >>enter those, so now I have the license for the main program and 7 entries
    >>for remote agent for servers (but mind you, I only have about 4 remote

    servers,
    >>and about 30 remote clients).
    >>
    >>One thing to note is that when I did the installation and checked to install
    >>items on remote computers, the window that comes up for the remote items
    >>has nothing for me to check. There are two entries in the left pane, for
    >>windows and netware stuff, but neither expand to anything and the right

    pane
    >>shows no computers.
    >>
    >>HELP!?
    >>

    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>

    >>>Did you install the RemoteAgent Serials on the new BEWS server? Do they
    >>>

    >>>show when you do Help/About from the GIU?

    issues,

    >>not

    >>the

    >>server,

    >>with

    >>back

  6. Re: can't install remote agent on clients!! What am I missing?

    You are right. You shouldn't have to.

    Can you see the remote systems in Explorer?
    Can you ping both ways by both IP and by NetBios name?

+ Reply to Thread