BE 9 and Alphaserver - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BE 9 and Alphaserver - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I am still running BENT7.3 over here. Correct me if I'm wrong in the next story. But version \7.3 only supports my Seagate Scorpio 240 autoloader as a single drive. Now I want to start using the autoloader possibilities ...

  1. BE 9 and Alphaserver

    Hello,

    I am still running BENT7.3 over here. Correct me if I'm wrong in the next
    story. But version \7.3 only supports my Seagate Scorpio 240 autoloader as a
    single drive. Now I want to start using the autoloader possibilities of the
    drive so I'm evaluating BE9.0. Now the problem is, I can't seem to backup
    from the old DEC-Alphaserver I have here. While Veritas claims BE9.0 still
    supports Alpha, I can't get the remote agent installed on it.

    Anyone got any idea if and how I can reach the alphaserver? (Backup is
    running on an Intel Windows NT4 server sp6a station)

    Thanks,

    Martijn den Ouden
    The Netherlands

    ps: I tried the supportsite of Veritas for a while, looking for an answer,
    but the (in my opinion) worst searchengine in the history of support didn't
    get me very far.

  2. Re: BE 9 and Alphaserver

    Hi,

    According to my information DEC Alpha Server was supported only uptil BE
    v8.5 Veritas stopped supporting Alpha server in the later versions of BE.

    So instead of upgrading to v9.0, which does not support Alpha server, you
    can upgrade to BE v8.5 and take backup of your alpha server using the v8.5
    remote agent.

    Regards
    Rod

    "Martijn den Ouden" wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I am still running BENT7.3 over here. Correct me if I'm wrong in the next
    >story. But version \7.3 only supports my Seagate Scorpio 240 autoloader

    as a
    >single drive. Now I want to start using the autoloader possibilities of

    the
    >drive so I'm evaluating BE9.0. Now the problem is, I can't seem to backup
    >from the old DEC-Alphaserver I have here. While Veritas claims BE9.0 still
    >supports Alpha, I can't get the remote agent installed on it.
    >
    >Anyone got any idea if and how I can reach the alphaserver? (Backup is
    >running on an Intel Windows NT4 server sp6a station)
    >
    >Thanks,
    >
    >Martijn den Ouden
    >The Netherlands
    >
    >ps: I tried the supportsite of Veritas for a while, looking for an answer,
    >but the (in my opinion) worst searchengine in the history of support didn't
    >get me very far.

  3. Re: BE 9 and Alphaserver

    Ok, so my next problem is finding a supplier around here that still sells BE
    v8.5. They all offer only the newest versions.
    But are you sure there isn't any workaround or something? I mean, we're
    talking about normal NT-domain networkshares so without bothering about a
    network agent it should be pretty straitforward..

    Or am I wrong?

    Martijn

    "Rod Spode" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    >
    > According to my information . DEC Alpha Server was supported only uptil BE
    > v8.5 Veritas stopped supporting Alpha server in the later versions of BE.
    >

    > So instead of upgrading to v9.0, which does not support Alpha server, you
    > can upgrade to BE v8.5 and take backup of your alpha server using the v8.5
    > remote agent.
    >
    > Regards
    > Rod
    >
    > "Martijn den Ouden" wrote:
    > >Hello,
    > >
    > >I am still running BENT7.3 over here. Correct me if I'm wrong in the next
    > >story. But version \7.3 only supports my Seagate Scorpio 240 autoloader

    > as a
    > >single drive. Now I want to start using the autoloader possibilities of

    > the
    > >drive so I'm evaluating BE9.0. Now the problem is, I can't seem to backup
    > >from the old DEC-Alphaserver I have here. While Veritas claims BE9.0

    still
    > >supports Alpha, I can't get the remote agent installed on it.
    > >
    > >Anyone got any idea if and how I can reach the alphaserver? (Backup is
    > >running on an Intel Windows NT4 server sp6a station)
    > >
    > >Thanks,
    > >
    > >Martijn den Ouden
    > >The Netherlands
    > >
    > >ps: I tried the supportsite of Veritas for a while, looking for an

    answer,
    > >but the (in my opinion) worst searchengine in the history of support

    didn't
    > >get me very far.

  4. Re: BE 9 and Alphaserver

    With v8.6 and above the BEWS server will not even connect to a remote
    ServerOS machine without the RemoteAgent running on it. v8.5 and
    below would connect, but give you the bitch about "no agent detected"

    Martijn den Ouden wrote:

    >Ok, so my next problem is finding a supplier around here that still sells BE
    >v8.5. They all offer only the newest versions.
    >But are you sure there isn't any workaround or something? I mean, we're
    >talking about normal NT-domain networkshares so without bothering about a
    >network agent it should be pretty straitforward..
    >
    >Or am I wrong?
    >
    >Martijn
    >
    >"Rod Spode" wrote in message
    >

    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>According to my information . DEC Alpha Server was supported only uptil BE
    >>v8.5 Veritas stopped supporting Alpha server in the later versions of BE.
    >>

    >>So instead of upgrading to v9.0, which does not support Alpha server, you
    >>can upgrade to BE v8.5 and take backup of your alpha server using the v8.5
    >>remote agent.
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Rod
    >>
    >>"Martijn den Ouden" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello,
    >>>
    >>>I am still running BENT7.3 over here. Correct me if I'm wrong in the next
    >>>story. But version \7.3 only supports my Seagate Scorpio 240 autoloader
    >>>

    >>as a
    >>

    >>>single drive. Now I want to start using the autoloader possibilities of
    >>>

    >>the
    >>

    >>>drive so I'm evaluating BE9.0. Now the problem is, I can't seem to backup
    >>>

    >>>from the old DEC-Alphaserver I have here. While Veritas claims BE9.0

    >still
    >

    >>>supports Alpha, I can't get the remote agent installed on it.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone got any idea if and how I can reach the alphaserver? (Backup is
    >>>running on an Intel Windows NT4 server sp6a station)
    >>>
    >>>Thanks,
    >>>
    >>>Martijn den Ouden
    >>>The Netherlands
    >>>
    >>>ps: I tried the supportsite of Veritas for a while, looking for an
    >>>

    >answer,
    >

    >>>but the (in my opinion) worst searchengine in the history of support
    >>>

    >didn't
    >

    >>>get me very far.

+ Reply to Thread