Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, please help me I have the weirdest problem. When I try to backup the System state, veritas only backs up 6 files of the aprox. 1900 files it should backup. It looks like it can't access the c:\winnt\system32 folder. ...

  1. Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    Hi, please help me I have the weirdest problem.
    When I try to backup the System state, veritas only backs up 6 files of the
    aprox. 1900 files it should backup. It looks like it can't access the c:\winnt\system32
    folder. I am a member of the Administrators group and have all the nescessary
    rights. I can access the folder just fine. I am running the backup under
    my own account. It displays the following error:

    -- Access denied to directory \System Files. ---
    -- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ---

    please, can anybody help
    grtz Y

    Here's the log:
    Job Operation - Backup
    Media operation - overwrite.
    No compression enabled.
    Media Name: "Media created 3/26/2003 08:37:20 AM"
    Backup of "\\SERVER\System?State "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "Backup 0007"
    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:56 AM.
    Access denied to directory \System Files.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    Database Certificate Server
    Database Registration DB
    Directory Registry
    default 131072 3/25/2003 6:06 PM
    SAM 28672 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    SECURITY
    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    software
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    system
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    userdiff 143360 1/17/2003 3:49 PM

    Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:59 AM.
    Backed up 6 files in 1 directory.

  2. Re: Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    Hi,
    Try to take backup using NTBackup ..if its successful ..then create a new
    account for BE give it Domain admin rights ...give the BE services this account
    as log on account and try doing the backup.

    If that is not possible then try uninstalling and reinstalling BE ...(and
    do the above also) it had worked in our case

    Rod

    "youpski" wrote:

    >Hi, please help me I have the weirdest problem.
    >When I try to backup the System state, veritas only backs up 6 files of

    the
    >aprox. 1900 files it should backup. It looks like it can't access the c:\winnt\system32
    >folder. I am a member of the Administrators group and have all the nescessary
    >rights. I can access the folder just fine. I am running the backup under
    >my own account. It displays the following error:
    >
    >-- Access denied to directory \System Files. ---
    >-- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ---
    >
    >please, can anybody help
    >grtz Y
    >
    >Here's the log:
    >================================================== ==============
    >Job Operation - Backup
    >Media operation - overwrite.
    >No compression enabled.
    >================================================== ==============
    >Media Name: "Media created 3/26/2003 08:37:20 AM"
    >Backup of "\\SERVER\System?State "
    >Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "Backup 0007"
    >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:56 AM.
    >Access denied to directory \System Files.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >Database Certificate Server
    >Database Registration DB
    >Directory Registry
    >default 131072 3/25/2003 6:06 PM
    >SAM
    28672 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    >SECURITY
    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    >software
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    >system
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    >userdiff 143360 1/17/2003 3:49 PM
    >
    >Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:59 AM.
    >Backed up 6 files in 1 directory.

  3. Re: Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    Thanks Rod for the quick response.
    NTBackup is equally unsuccessfull. i does however not complain about 'access
    denied'. It also backs up some more files. 78 instead of 6. But that could
    be the result of a different counter of course. Here's the result of NTBackup:
    ----------------------
    Backup Status
    Operation: Backup
    Active backup destination: File
    Media name: "Media created 3/26/2003 at 8:57 AM"

    Backup of "System State"
    Backup set #2 on media #1
    Backup description: "Set created 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM"
    Backup Type: Copy

    Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    Warning: The file \Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\CATMAST.cbd
    in use - skipped.
    Warning: The file \Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\CATMAST.cbk
    in use - skipped.
    Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    Directories: 22
    Files: 78
    Skipped: 2
    Time: 3 seconds
    ----------------------

    "Rod Spode" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >Try to take backup using NTBackup ..if its successful ..then create a new
    >account for BE give it Domain admin rights ...give the BE services this

    account
    >as log on account and try doing the backup.
    >
    >If that is not possible then try uninstalling and reinstalling BE ...(and
    >do the above also) it had worked in our case
    >
    >Rod
    >
    >"youpski" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi, please help me I have the weirdest problem.
    >>When I try to backup the System state, veritas only backs up 6 files of

    >the
    >>aprox. 1900 files it should backup. It looks like it can't access the c:\winnt\system32
    >>folder. I am a member of the Administrators group and have all the nescessary
    >>rights. I can access the folder just fine. I am running the backup under
    >>my own account. It displays the following error:
    >>
    >>-- Access denied to directory \System Files. ---
    >>-- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ---
    >>
    >>please, can anybody help
    >>grtz Y
    >>
    >>Here's the log:
    >>================================================== ==============
    >>Job Operation - Backup
    >>Media operation - overwrite.
    >>No compression enabled.
    >>================================================== ==============
    >>Media Name: "Media created 3/26/2003 08:37:20 AM"
    >>Backup of "\\SERVER\System?State "
    >>Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >>Backup set description: "Backup 0007"
    >>Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >>Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:56 AM.
    >>Access denied to directory \System Files.
    >>^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>Database Certificate Server
    >>Database Registration DB
    >>Directory Registry
    >>default 131072 3/25/2003 6:06 PM
    >>SAM
    28672 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    >>SECURITY
    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    >>software
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    >>system
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    >>userdiff 143360 1/17/2003 3:49 PM
    >>
    >>Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:59 AM.
    >>Backed up 6 files in 1 directory.

  4. Re: Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    Hi,

    I know you are already a member of the admin group …but try the following
    …maybe it will help

    Create a BE Service Account
    Make sure it is a member of the Domain Admin group
    Also make it a member of the Local Admin Group of the server on which system
    state has to be backed up.
    Remove the BE Service Account from the Backup Operators group.

    If even after this it gives the same error then try changing the following
    registry key

    Stop BE services
    HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS
    Restrict Anonymous Support
    Change string value to 1
    Start BE services

    Also check the following Veritas technote
    and the Microsoft KB article given at the bottom of it
    Check out

    Right now,can think of only these things will let you know if I get new ideas

    Thanks
    Rod

    "youpski" wrote:

> [...]

    >>>rights. I can access the folder just fine. I am running the backup under
    >>>my own account. It displays the following error:
    >>>
    >>>-- Access denied to directory \System Files. ---
    >>>-- ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ---
    >>>
    >>>please, can anybody help
    >>>grtz Y
    >>>
    >>>Here's the log:
    >>>================================================== ==============
    >>>Job Operation - Backup
    >>>Media operation - overwrite.
    >>>No compression enabled.
    >>>================================================== ==============
    >>>Media Name: "Media created 3/26/2003 08:37:20 AM"
    >>>Backup of "\\SERVER\System?State "
    >>>Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >>>Backup set description: "Backup 0007"
    >>>Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >>>Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:56 AM.
    >>>Access denied to directory \System Files.
    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    >>>software
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    >>>system
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM
    >>>userdiff 143360 1/17/2003 3:49 PM
    >>>
    >>>Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 9:11:59 AM.
    >>>Backed up 6 files in 1 directory.

  5. Re: Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    no luck......

    "Rod Spode" wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I know you are already a member of the admin group …but try the following
    >…maybe it will help
    >
    >Create a BE Service Account
    >Make sure it is a member of the Domain Admin group
    >Also make it a member of the Local Admin Group of the server on which system
    >state has to be backed up.
    >Remove the BE Service Account from the Backup Operators group.
    >
    >If even after this it gives the same error then try changing the following
    >registry key
    >
    >Stop BE services
    >HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS
    >Restrict Anonymous Support
    >Change string value to 1
    >Start BE services
    >
    >Also check the following Veritas technote

    >and the Microsoft KB article given at the bottom of it
    >Check out
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240090.htm
    >
    >Right now,can think of only these things will let you know if I get new

    ideas

    >Thanks
    >Rod
    >
    >"youpski" wrote:
    >>
    >>Thanks Rod for the quick response.
    >>NTBackup is equally unsuccessfull. i does however not complain about 'access
    >>denied'. It also backs up some more files. 78 instead of 6. But that could
    >>be the result of a different counter of course. Here's the result of NTBackup:
    >>----------------------
    >>Backup Status
    >>Operation: Backup
    >>Active backup destination: File
    >>Media name: "Media created 3/26/2003 at 8:57 AM"
    >>
    >>Backup of "System State"
    >>Backup set #2 on media #1
    >>Backup description: "Set created 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM"
    >>Backup Type: Copy
    >>
    >>Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    >>Warning: The file \Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\CATMAST.cbd
    >>in use - skipped.
    >>Warning: The file \Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\CATMAST.cbk
    >>in use - skipped.
    >>Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    >>Directories: 22
    >>Files: 78
    >>Skipped: 2
    >>Time: 3 seconds
    >>----------------------
    >>

    >>"Rod Spode" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>Try to take backup using NTBackup ..if its successful ..then create a

    new
    >>>account for BE give it Domain admin rights ...give the BE services this

    >>account
    >>>as log on account and try doing the backup.
    >>>
    >>>If that is not possible then try uninstalling and reinstalling BE ...(and
    >>>do the above also) it had worked in our case
    >>>
    >>>Rod

    of
    >>>the

    >c:\winnt\system32

    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM

  6. Re: Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    For anyone ever experiencing similar problems:
    Look at article:
    Remember to restore the certificates with the 'certificates' mmc on the Local
    system account (not via the IE). The IE will only restore certificate for
    your user-account. The certificate restore solved the problems for me.

    The cause is the signature check of system files by the dll-cache process.
    And formost the two following files: CATMAST in c:\winnt\system32\catroot.
    NT uses these files to read out the system state.

    grtz Y

    "youpski" wrote:

    >no luck......
    >
    >"Rod Spode" wrote:
    >>
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I know you are already a member of the admin group …but try the following
    >>…maybe it will help
    >>
    >>Create a BE Service Account
    >>Make sure it is a member of the Domain Admin group
    >>Also make it a member of the Local Admin Group of the server on which system
    >>state has to be backed up.
    >>Remove the BE Service Account from the Backup Operators group.
    >>
    >>If even after this it gives the same error then try changing the following
    >>registry key
    >>
    >>Stop BE services
    >>HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS
    >>Restrict Anonymous Support
    >>Change string value to 1
    >>Start BE services
    >>
    >>Also check the following Veritas technote
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235161.htm
    >>and the Microsoft KB article given at the bottom of it
    >>Check out
    >>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240090.htm
    >>
    >>Right now,can think of only these things will let you know if I get new

    >ideas
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Rod
    >>
    >>"youpski" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Thanks Rod for the quick response.
    >>>NTBackup is equally unsuccessfull. i does however not complain about 'access
    >>>denied'. It also backs up some more files. 78 instead of 6. But that could
    >>>be the result of a different counter of course. Here's the result of NTBackup:
    >>>----------------------
    >>>Backup Status
    >>>Operation: Backup
    >>>Active backup destination: File
    >>>Media name: "Media created 3/26/2003 at 8:57 AM"
    >>>
    >>>Backup of "System State"
    >>>Backup set #2 on media #1
    >>>Backup description: "Set created 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM"
    >>>Backup Type: Copy
    >>>
    >>>Backup started on 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    >>>Warning: The file \Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\CATMAST.cbd
    >>>in use - skipped.
    >>>Warning: The file \Boot Files\C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\CATROOT\{F750E6C3-38EE-11D1-85E5-00C04FC295EE}\CATMAST.cbk
    >>>in use - skipped.
    >>>Backup completed on 3/26/2003 at 10:22 AM.
    >>>Directories: 22
    >>>Files: 78
    >>>Skipped: 2
    >>>Time: 3 seconds
    >>>----------------------

    >new
    >>>account

    >of

    >>c:\winnt\system32

    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM

  7. Re: Access Denied on Directory \System Files during system state backup

    "youpski" wrote:

    >For anyone ever experiencing similar problems:
    >Look at article:

    >Remember to restore the certificates with the 'certificates' mmc on the

    Local
    >system account (not via the IE). The IE will only restore certificate for
    >your user-account. The certificate restore solved the problems for me.
    >
    >The cause is the signature check of system files by the dll-cache process.
    >And formost the two following files: CATMAST in c:\winnt\system32\catroot.
    >NT uses these files to read out the system state.
    >
    >grtz Y
    >

    >"youpski" wrote:
    >>
    >>no luck......
    >>
    >>"Rod Spode" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>I know you are already a member of the admin group …but try the following
    >>>…maybe it will help
    >>>
    >>>Create a BE Service Account
    >>>Make sure it is a member of the Domain Admin group
    >>>Also make it a member of the Local Admin Group of the server on which

    system
    >>>state has to be backed up.
    >>>Remove the BE Service Account from the Backup Operators group.
    >>>
    >>>If even after this it gives the same error then try changing the following
    >>>registry key
    >>>
    >>>Stop BE services
    >>>HKLM\Software\VERITAS\Backup Exec\Engine\NTFS
    >>>Restrict Anonymous Support
    >>>Change string value to 1
    >>>Start BE services
    >>>
    >>>Also check the following Veritas technote
    >>>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/235161.htm
    >>>and the Microsoft KB article given at the bottom of it
    >>>Check out
    >>>http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240090.htm
    >>>
    >>>Right now,can think of only these things will let you know if I get new

    >>ideas
    >>>
    >>>Thanks
    >>>Rod

    'access

    could

    NTBackup:

    >>new

    >>of
    >>>c:\winnt\system32

    nescessary

    under

    53248 3/26/2003 8:57 AM
    8536064 3/26/2003 9:11 AM
    2707456 3/26/2003 8:56 AM

    Hello,

    Technote ID 233312 help me. The file Bewinui.uni had incorrect authentication
    information. Stop all Backup Exec Services, rename the file and start the
    Backup Exec services again. Run a Test Backup.

    Hope this helps.

    Tom

+ Reply to Thread