Backup Exec shows "No selections exist for this resource" - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Exec shows "No selections exist for this resource" - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have BE 7.0 running on our NT4 Server. In the Backup Selections and the Restore Selections we can't see any items for our Exchange 5.5 IS and DS. Instead it shows "No selections exist for this resource" even though ...

  1. Backup Exec shows "No selections exist for this resource"

    We have BE 7.0 running on our NT4 Server. In the Backup Selections and the
    Restore Selections we can't see any items for our Exchange 5.5 IS and DS.
    Instead it shows "No selections exist for this resource" even though we have
    an Exchange Agent.

    When we define a job that includes our IS and DS, the job completes successfully
    and the logs do show roughly the right size for the backup. This indicates
    to me that everything is performing as needed.

    Though I'll live long and happily if it doesn't, the need for restore may
    come up one day. If we can't even see the mailboxes or Stores now, how can
    we ensure a backup will work? (We don't want to test in a production environment.
    Also, doesn't the Exchange Agent mean we can restore individual items?

  2. Re: Backup Exec shows "No selections exist for this resource"

    Do you have Exchange Admin loaded on the Backup Server? From Tools\Options\Exchange,
    is "Enable Exchange Support" checked?

    If you have done a mailbox backup, then, yes, you can do a mailbox restore. if you
    only have Stores backups, you can only do stores restores. But don't count on getting
    back much from mailbox restores with v7. See mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for a
    discussion of why mailbox backups are not recommended. adn the older forum entries to
    see all the problems with mailbox restores.

    If you are still on v7.0, I would HIGHLY recommend the free upgrade to v7.01 Build
    1616

    From the downloads page grab BNT72I03 (Englis/Intel) and BNT72ACC, download to the
    same empty directory and expand. When you go to upgrade DO NOT just run setup, as
    this will begin installing v7.2, which will not accept your v7.0 serial(s) and will
    leave you with no Veritas backup at all.

    Instead run "setup -fsetup701.ins" and you should be good to go.

    David Dawson wrote:

    > We have BE 7.0 running on our NT4 Server. In the Backup Selections and the
    > Restore Selections we can't see any items for our Exchange 5.5 IS and DS.
    > Instead it shows "No selections exist for this resource" even though we have
    > an Exchange Agent.
    >
    > When we define a job that includes our IS and DS, the job completes successfully
    > and the logs do show roughly the right size for the backup. This indicates
    > to me that everything is performing as needed.
    >
    > Though I'll live long and happily if it doesn't, the need for restore may
    > come up one day. If we can't even see the mailboxes or Stores now, how can
    > we ensure a backup will work? (We don't want to test in a production environment.
    > Also, doesn't the Exchange Agent mean we can restore individual items?

  3. Re: Backup Exec shows "No selections exist for this resource"

    Hi ...check the exchange services if they are running and check if Microsoft
    Exchange System Attendant service is running ..if it is not start it ...you
    will be able to see IS and DS in BE backup and restore selections
    Rod
    "David Dawson" wrote:

    >We have BE 7.0 running on our NT4 Server. In the Backup Selections and

    the
    >Restore Selections we can't see any items for our Exchange 5.5 IS and DS.
    >Instead it shows "No selections exist for this resource" even though we

    have
    >an Exchange Agent.
    >
    >When we define a job that includes our IS and DS, the job completes successfully
    >and the logs do show roughly the right size for the backup. This indicates
    >to me that everything is performing as needed.
    >
    >Though I'll live long and happily if it doesn't, the need for restore may
    >come up one day. If we can't even see the mailboxes or Stores now, how

    can
    >we ensure a backup will work? (We don't want to test in a production environment.
    > Also, doesn't the Exchange Agent mean we can restore individual items?

+ Reply to Thread