error on a request to write data to media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on error on a request to write data to media - Veritas Backup Exec ; We have been experiencing failed backup jobs whereas the backup gets to a certain spot and then the following error will occur. "Storage device "SONY 1" reported an error on a request to write data to media. Error reported: The ...

  1. error on a request to write data to media

    We have been experiencing failed backup jobs whereas the backup gets to a
    certain spot and then the following error will occur.

    "Storage device "SONY 1" reported an error on a request to write data to
    media.

    Error reported:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.^ ^ ^ ^
    ^"

    In the last two instances it has occurred when backing up our Exchange Information
    Store.

    The backup job backs up multple servers. Having read the knowledge base
    articles and updated/patched both the Adaptec SCSI card as well as our Tape
    Drive which is a Sony AIT SDX-D700C did not seem to fix the problem. We
    are running Backup Exec 8.6 rev 3080.

    Is it possible that network bandwidth/congestion could be a problem. As
    we also run a MSSQL/Linux Server back up on a different back up server.

  2. Re: error on a request to write data to media

    Are you sure about the version and build?

    The last v8.0 build was 3316 and the current v8.6 build is 3878

    In either case, if you are not on the last build for your version, I would
    recommend upgrading to that build.

    (or for v8.0, you could grab v8.5.3572rc9. the agents won't support SQL2000
    or Exchange2000, but the base code should accept your v8.0 serial(s)

    ^
    >^"
    >
    >In the last two instances it has occurred when backing up our Exchange Information
    >Store.
    >
    >The backup job backs up multple servers. Having read the knowledge base
    >articles and updated/patched both the Adaptec SCSI card as well as our Tape
    >Drive which is a Sony AIT SDX-D700C did not seem to fix the problem. We
    >are running Backup Exec 8.6 rev 3080.
    >
    >Is it possible that network bandwidth/congestion could be a problem. As
    >we also run a MSSQL/Linux Server back up on a different back up server.

  3. Re: error on a request to write data to media

    this tech note says it is for io device errors during verify but i have seen
    it work for io device errors during backup as well

+ Reply to Thread