which tape is used in which backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on which tape is used in which backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have tried to find out which tape in our loader was used for which backup. I can read this from the log file but did not find some sort of report or so. How can I have an overview ...

  1. which tape is used in which backup

    I have tried to find out which tape in our loader was used for which
    backup. I can read this from the log file but did not find some sort of
    report or so. How can I have an overview of my tapes?

    Dirk

    --
    vieregg@demogr.mpg.de

  2. Re: which tape is used in which backup

    You can do an inventory of the loader (devices tab, right click the loader/Inventory)

    "Vieregg, Dirk" wrote:
    >I have tried to find out which tape in our loader was used for which
    >backup. I can read this from the log file but did not find some sort of
    >report or so. How can I have an overview of my tapes?
    >
    >Dirk
    >
    >--
    >vieregg@demogr.mpg.de

  3. Re: which tape is used in which backup

    Or to force jobs to use a specific slot, you can partitoin the
    loader,then point the jobs at these partitions.

    Vieregg, Dirk wrote:

    >I have tried to find out which tape in our loader was used for which
    >backup. I can read this from the log file but did not find some sort of
    >report or so. How can I have an overview of my tapes?
    >
    >Dirk

  4. Re: which tape is used in which backup

    Thanks for your answers. However, this is not exactly what I mean. We
    are using the loader for at least two years now. During this time, I
    have taken out one full backup per month. I want to know which tape
    belongs to which backup for tapes which are not in the loader anymore.
    The catalogs are still available on hard disk. Is there a chance to
    extract the information I want from the catalogs. Of course I could
    check the properties of each backup set. But this is not what I want to
    do.

    Dirk

    --
    vieregg@demogr.mpg.de

  5. Re: which tape is used in which backup

    I think what you want is the "Media Set Report" Drill down from the Reports
    Tab

    If that's not what you're looking for, as long as you are on v8.5 or v8.6,
    you could use the CATDUMP utility, but i think that's probably overkill for
    what you want.

    "Vieregg, Dirk" wrote:
    >Thanks for your answers. However, this is not exactly what I mean. We
    >are using the loader for at least two years now. During this time, I
    >have taken out one full backup per month. I want to know which tape
    >belongs to which backup for tapes which are not in the loader anymore.
    >The catalogs are still available on hard disk. Is there a chance to
    >extract the information I want from the catalogs. Of course I could
    >check the properties of each backup set. But this is not what I want to
    >do.
    >
    >Dirk
    >
    >--
    >vieregg@demogr.mpg.de