- empty - Drive - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on - empty - Drive - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi there, I am having problems restoring from a relatively new tape. Its the NORMAL tape from a weekly rotation setup by the Wizard. I need to restore from this tape but when its inserted still shows as - empty ...

  1. - empty - Drive

    Hi there,
    I am having problems restoring from a relatively new tape. Its the NORMAL
    tape from a weekly rotation setup by the Wizard. I need to restore from this
    tape but when its inserted still shows as - empty - and I urgently need to
    restore from it. I have seen a few posts about using inventory but that
    hasnt worked at all. Is there anything else that I need to do?

    Kind regards,

    Steve Hoare
    Hi there,
    I am having problems restoring from a relatively new tape. Its the NORMAL
    tape from a weekly rotation setup by the Wizard. I need to restore from this
    tape but when its inserted still shows as - empty - and I urgently need to
    restore from it. I have seen a few posts about using inventory but that
    hasnt worked at all. Is there anything else that I need to do?

    Kind regards,

    Steve Hoare

  2. Re: - empty - Drive

    Have you tried performing a Catalog on the tape?

    "Dooza" wrote in message
[...]

  3. Re: - empty - Drive

    Hi Nickv,
    That option is greyed out, all I can do is an inventory and that returns nothing. This is the first tape in the series, all the others are differential and hence completely useless without the first one working. I really need the data from this tape.

    Steve
    "nickv" wrote in message news:3e1d8e22$1@hronntp01....
[...]

    ---

  4. Re: - empty - Drive

    About all that is left is to shutdown the BENT services, rename the \Catalogs
    folder to something like \Catalogs.sav, create a new \Catalogs folder, restart
    BackupExec, then re inventory and re-catalog.

    If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you're SOL Sounds like that tape has gone
    bad.

    =
    >nothing. This is the first tape in the series, all the others are =
    >differential and hence completely useless without the first one working.

    =
    >I really need the data from this tape.

  5. Re: - empty - Drive

    > About all that is left is to shutdown the BENT services, rename the
    \Catalogs
    > folder to something like \Catalogs.sav, create a new \Catalogs folder,

    restart
    > BackupExec, then re inventory and re-catalog.

    Will I have to do this with all of the tapes? The server is in a datacentre
    400 miles away, and it takes about an hour for the engineer to change the
    tapes. And its there fault for getting the tapes out of sequence in the
    first place.

    > If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you're SOL Sounds like that tape has

    gone
    > bad.

    Arse

    Dooza

    > "Dooza" wrote:
    > >

    > >Hi Nickv,
    > >That option is greyed out, all I can do is an inventory and that returns

    > =
    > >nothing. This is the first tape in the series, all the others are =
    > >differential and hence completely useless without the first one working.

    > =
    > >I really need the data from this tape.

    ---

  6. Re: - empty - Drive

    Well I tried what was suggested and it didnt work.

    Dooza

    "Dooza" wrote in message
    > > About all that is left is to shutdown the BENT services, rename the

    > \Catalogs
    > > folder to something like \Catalogs.sav, create a new \Catalogs folder,

    > restart
    > > BackupExec, then re inventory and re-catalog.

    > Will I have to do this with all of the tapes? The server is in a

    datacentre
    > 400 miles away, and it takes about an hour for the engineer to change the
    > tapes. And its there fault for getting the tapes out of sequence in the
    > first place.
    >
    > > If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you're SOL Sounds like that tape has

    > gone
    > > bad.

    > Arse
    >
    > Dooza
    >
    > > "Dooza" wrote:
    > > >

    > > >Hi Nickv,
    > > >That option is greyed out, all I can do is an inventory and that

    returns
    > > =
    > > >nothing. This is the first tape in the series, all the others are =
    > > >differential and hence completely useless without the first one

    working.
    > > =
    > > >I really need the data from this tape.
    > > >

    > ---

    ---

  7. Re: - empty - Drive

    After you get the restore done (if it works) shut down BENT again, rename
    the current \catalogs folder, then rename the Catalogs.Sav folder back to
    \Catalogs.

    "Dooza" wrote:
    >> About all that is left is to shutdown the BENT services, rename the

    >\Catalogs
    >> folder to something like \Catalogs.sav, create a new \Catalogs folder,

    >restart
    >> BackupExec, then re inventory and re-catalog.

    >Will I have to do this with all of the tapes? The server is in a datacentre
    >400 miles away, and it takes about an hour for the engineer to change the
    >tapes. And its there fault for getting the tapes out of sequence in the
    >first place.
    >
    >> If that doesn't work, I'm afraid you're SOL Sounds like that tape has

    >gone
    >> bad.

    >Arse
    >
    >Dooza