catalog problem - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on catalog problem - Veritas Backup Exec ; I can't restore files in BackupExec 8.5 for NT/W2K, running on NT4 SP6a. I get the following separate errors in Event Viewer: "Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed. Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object. ...

  1. catalog problem

    I can't restore files in BackupExec 8.5 for NT/W2K, running on NT4 SP6a.
    I get the following separate errors in Event Viewer:

    "Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object. DAO.Workspace
    d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"

    "Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object. DAO.Workspace
    d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"

    Any ideas why this is happening?

  2. Re: catalog problem

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237712.htm

    "Alex Alborzfard" wrote:
    >I can't restore files in BackupExec 8.5 for NT/W2K, running on NT4 SP6a.
    >I get the following separate errors in Event Viewer:
    >
    >"Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    >Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    >Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object. DAO.Workspace
    >d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"
    >
    >"Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    >Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    >Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object. DAO.Workspace
    >d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"
    >
    >Any ideas why this is happening?

  3. Re: catalog problem

    In that case, I'm out of suggestions.

    Unless someone else jumps in here, you'll probably need to open an incident
    with Veritas.

    "Alex Alborzfard" wrote:
    >Thanks for the response, but when I try stopping the services, they re-start
    >automatically
    >and no new BeTopCat.idx is created.
    >
    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >>
    >> See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237712.htm
    >>
    >> "Alex Alborzfard" wrote:
    >> >I can't restore files in BackupExec 8.5 for NT/W2K, running on NT4 SP6a.
    >> >I get the following separate errors in Event Viewer:
    >> >
    >> >"Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    >> >Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    >> >Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object.

    >DAO.Workspace
    >> >d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"
    >> >
    >> >"Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    >> >Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    >> >Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object.

    >DAO.Workspace
    >> >d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"
    >> >
    >> >Any ideas why this is happening?

  4. Re: catalog problem

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/237712.htm
    >
    > "Alex Alborzfard" wrote:
    > >I can't restore files in BackupExec 8.5 for NT/W2K, running on NT4 SP6a.
    > >I get the following separate errors in Event Viewer:
    > >
    > >"Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    > >Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    > >Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object.

    DAO.Workspace
    > >d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"
    > >
    > >"Update to catalog index (D:\Program Files\VERITAS\Backup
    > >Exec\NT\Catalogs\BeTopCat.idx) failed.
    > >Reason: Operation is not supported for this type of object.

    DAO.Workspace
    > >d:\be\tobago\3571r\becat\server\catalogindex.cpp(2 92)"
    > >
    > >Any ideas why this is happening?

  5. Re: catalog problem

    Actually I was able to get around this by changing the startup type for BE
    services to Manual
    and stop the services. It created a new BeTopCat.idx file and I can see the
    restores now, BUT it tells me
    most of my Exchange Information Store restores will be corrupt!
    Any ideas???

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message

    > In that case, I'm out of suggestions.
    >
    > Unless someone else jumps in here, you'll probably need to open an

    incident
    > with Veritas.
    >
    > "Alex Alborzfard" wrote:
    > >Thanks for the response, but when I try stopping the services, they

    re-start
    > >automatically
    > >and no new BeTopCat.idx is created.
    > >
    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message