Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have reinstalled BE version 8 on my server as it failed to run any operations. Now all operations work but i can't see my unix server after expanding the unix agent icon in the browser. I assumed the unix ...

  1. Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen

    I have reinstalled BE version 8 on my server as it failed to run any operations.
    Now all operations work but i can't see my unix server after expanding the
    unix agent icon in the browser.

    I assumed the unix agent that was previously installed would still work.
    i have downloaded and applied the latest version of the agent and used the
    same settings in my agent.cfg file. When starting the agent there are no
    complaints and looking at tcpdump stats -i can see the agent broadcasting
    to the NT server but the server is still not displayed in BE browser. Dont
    understand what is going on?

    Can any one advise please?
    Darren

  2. Re: Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen

    Can you ping the Unix server by name from the backup server?

    Darren wrote:

    >I have reinstalled BE version 8 on my server as it failed to run any operations.
    > Now all operations work but i can't see my unix server after expanding the
    >unix agent icon in the browser.
    >
    >I assumed the unix agent that was previously installed would still work.
    > i have downloaded and applied the latest version of the agent and used the
    >same settings in my agent.cfg file. When starting the agent there are no
    >complaints and looking at tcpdump stats -i can see the agent broadcasting
    >to the NT server but the server is still not displayed in BE browser. Dont
    >understand what is going on?
    >
    >Can any one advise please?
    >Darren

  3. Re: Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen

    Thanks Ken and anyone else who can help!!

    Yes i can ping by ip and my hostname and have followed the guidelines set
    out in the knowledge based topic and troubleshooting the unix agent ....

    The reason i had to reinstall was because the whole server died - i reinstalled
    the OS - then vertias and then restored from backup - however - backupExec
    wouldn't work so i uninstalled that and then reinstalled again - now the
    unix side is not working!

    I am foxed!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Can you ping the Unix server by name from the backup server?
    >
    >Darren wrote:
    >
    >>I have reinstalled BE version 8 on my server as it failed to run any operations.
    >> Now all operations work but i can't see my unix server after expanding

    the
    >>unix agent icon in the browser.
    >>
    >>I assumed the unix agent that was previously installed would still work.
    >> i have downloaded and applied the latest version of the agent and used

    the
    >>same settings in my agent.cfg file. When starting the agent there are

    no
    >>complaints and looking at tcpdump stats -i can see the agent broadcasting
    >>to the NT server but the server is still not displayed in BE browser.

    Dont
    >>understand what is going on?
    >>
    >>Can any one advise please?
    >>Darren

  4. Re: Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen

    I've never actually used the Unix Agent so I'm out of suggestions at
    this point, sorry

    You may need to breakdown and open an Incident with Veritas.
    or you could try E-Mail support at
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...dProduct=BEWNT
    (URL may be wrapped)

    tho reports back here to the forum indicate that suppor there is spotty
    at best. many say that the response seems to be"this is too complicated
    to solve via E-Mail, please open an incident", but it may be worth a try

    darren wrote:

    >Thanks Ken and anyone else who can help!!
    >
    >Yes i can ping by ip and my hostname and have followed the guidelines set
    >out in the knowledge based topic and troubleshooting the unix agent ....
    >

    >The reason i had to reinstall was because the whole server died - i reinstalled
    >the OS - then vertias and then restored from backup - however - backupExec
    >wouldn't work so i uninstalled that and then reinstalled again - now the
    >unix side is not working!
    >
    >I am foxed!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
    >
    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>Can you ping the Unix server by name from the backup server?
    >>
    >>Darren wrote:
    >>

    >>>I have reinstalled BE version 8 on my server as it failed to run any operations.
    >>>Now all operations work but i can't see my unix server after expanding
    >>>

    >the
    >

    >>>unix agent icon in the browser.
    >>>
    >>>I assumed the unix agent that was previously installed would still work.
    >>>i have downloaded and applied the latest version of the agent and used
    >>>

    >the
    >

    >>>same settings in my agent.cfg file. When starting the agent there are
    >>>

    >no
    >

    >>>complaints and looking at tcpdump stats -i can see the agent broadcasting
    >>>to the NT server but the server is still not displayed in BE browser.
    >>>

    >Dont
    >

    >>>understand what is going on?
    >>>
    >>>Can any one advise please?
    >>>Darren

  5. Re: Unix agent installed -But unix server can't be seen

    Just to let u know - i upgraded from version 8 build 3311 to 8.5 .... rebooted
    and the Unix agent is now being seen! Bit strange as the previous unix agent
    worked fine with version 8.

    Happy Days!

    Darren

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >I've never actually used the Unix Agent so I'm out of suggestions at
    >this point, sorry
    >
    >You may need to breakdown and open an Incident with Veritas.
    >or you could try E-Mail support at
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/emai...dProduct=BEWNT
    >(URL may be wrapped)
    >
    >tho reports back here to the forum indicate that suppor there is spotty

    >at best. many say that the response seems to be"this is too complicated

    >to solve via E-Mail, please open an incident", but it may be worth a try
    >
    >darren wrote:
    >
    >>Thanks Ken and anyone else who can help!!
    >>
    >>Yes i can ping by ip and my hostname and have followed the guidelines set
    >>out in the knowledge based topic and troubleshooting the unix agent ....
    >>

    >>The reason i had to reinstall was because the whole server died - i reinstalled
    >>the OS - then vertias and then restored from backup - however - backupExec
    >>wouldn't work so i uninstalled that and then reinstalled again - now the
    >>unix side is not working!
    >>
    >>I am foxed!!! PLEASE HELP!!!
    >>
    >>Ken Putnam wrote:
    >>

    >>>Can you ping the Unix server by name from the backup server?

    operations.

    >>the

    >>the

    >>no