cataloging a tape out of sequence - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on cataloging a tape out of sequence - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am trying to catalog 5 tapes that were written by arcserve. Trouble is that there are 5 tapes that are part of a multi-set archive and BE will not allow me to catalog only tape 5 which has my ...

  1. cataloging a tape out of sequence

    I am trying to catalog 5 tapes that were written by arcserve.
    Trouble is that there are 5 tapes that are part of a multi-set archive and
    BE will not allow me to catalog only tape 5 which has my most recent backups.
    BE says it is 'out of sequence' and insists that I start cataloging with
    set 1. But when it gets to tape 3, 12 hours later, it finds a bad spot, aborts
    and won't let me catalog tapes 4 and 5

    Is there a utility or option that will allow me to catalogue and restore
    from just that last tape with the most recent backup sets?

    Please help..

  2. Re: cataloging a tape out of sequence

    I feel your pain. We were able to catalog less than half of the AS 6.6
    Enterprise edition tapes. Most were single tape sets. It was even worse
    with the sets that have multiple tapes. I'm pretty sure that you will need
    all the tapes in the set to get BENT to catalog them (that's how I remember
    it...).

    We ended up just using an old machine with NW411 and AS6.6 on it to read
    these tapes :-(
    BENT requires the entire set as a whole to be cataloged at once. AS6.6
    would allow me to scan the tape and choose which set I wanted to "merge".

    hth,
    DL Meade, CNE, MCP
    Network Administrator
    Frankfurt-Short-Bruza
    www.fsb-ae.com
    www.oklahomadome.com
    "Alan Aldrich" wrote in message

    > I am trying to catalog 5 tapes that were written by arcserve.
    > Trouble is that there are 5 tapes that are part of a multi-set archive and
    > BE will not allow me to catalog only tape 5 which has my most recent

    backups.
    > BE says it is 'out of sequence' and insists that I start cataloging with
    > set 1. But when it gets to tape 3, 12 hours later, it finds a bad spot,

    aborts
    > and won't let me catalog tapes 4 and 5
    >
    > Is there a utility or option that will allow me to catalogue and restore
    > from just that last tape with the most recent backup sets?
    >
    > Please help..

+ Reply to Thread