IDR - Saving the Emergency Backup File - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on IDR - Saving the Emergency Backup File - Veritas Backup Exec ; We run BE 8.0 Build 3316 on a Win2000 Server with several WinXP and Win98 clients. We use the IDR option. We set it up so it will save the necessary IDR backup file on one of the WinXP clients. ...

  1. IDR - Saving the Emergency Backup File

    We run BE 8.0 Build 3316 on a Win2000 Server with several WinXP and Win98
    clients. We use the IDR option. We set it up so it will save the necessary
    IDR backup file on one of the WinXP clients.

    Today (Dec 1, 2002), I went looking for the IDR backup file on the WinXP
    client. I did a file search for Veritas_IDR, and found three folders, all
    in the C:\Documents & Settings folder, and sub folders. Two of the three
    folders were empty. The third has a single file: SERVERNAME.DR. It was
    dated 10/30/02.

    I assumed that BE should be updating this file after each backup job (which
    we run M-F five days per week. Is this assumption correct? Or is it only
    when some changes are made to the system?

    If there's supposed to be an update after each backup job, how come the
    emergency file is dated a month ago? I recall that several years ago,
    before we got the backup file setup correctly done, the Job Monitor would
    report a failed job when the IDR file wasn't properly saved. We haven't
    had any backup job failures reported.

    --
    Paul Tholfsen
    Bellingham, WA

    XYXptholfsen@XYZnetos.com
    Please Delete XYZ

  2. Re: IDR - Saving the Emergency Backup File

    Paul,
    I don't know about BE 8.0 but 8.6 puts the .dr file in two places. One on the
    server and the other in a remote location, which you specify. This .dr file
    only gets updated when a full backup is done. Are you performing
    incrementals/differentials M-F or are they full backups?

    Is the computer that you are using as a remote location for the .dr file always
    left on? If the computer is turned off while the backup runs, the .dr file
    won't be created on it.

    You can check the .dr file on the server to see what date it has. For 8.6 it is
    buried in the DATA folder under Program Files/Veritas/BE/NT/idr/data.

    HTH,
    Dave

    Paul Tholfsen wrote:

    > We run BE 8.0 Build 3316 on a Win2000 Server with several WinXP and Win98
    > clients. We use the IDR option. We set it up so it will save the necessary
    > IDR backup file on one of the WinXP clients.
    >
    > Today (Dec 1, 2002), I went looking for the IDR backup file on the WinXP
    > client. I did a file search for Veritas_IDR, and found three folders, all
    > in the C:\Documents & Settings folder, and sub folders. Two of the three
    > folders were empty. The third has a single file: SERVERNAME.DR. It was
    > dated 10/30/02.
    >
    > I assumed that BE should be updating this file after each backup job (which
    > we run M-F five days per week. Is this assumption correct? Or is it only
    > when some changes are made to the system?
    >
    > If there's supposed to be an update after each backup job, how come the
    > emergency file is dated a month ago? I recall that several years ago,
    > before we got the backup file setup correctly done, the Job Monitor would
    > report a failed job when the IDR file wasn't properly saved. We haven't
    > had any backup job failures reported.
    >
    > --
    > Paul Tholfsen
    > Bellingham, WA