Attaching to Mail Boxes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Attaching to Mail Boxes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Does the mapi client need to be on the Exchange server or Backup server. My installation has Exchange 5.5 on one NT server, but the BENT 8.6 install is on another server. I am backing up Exchange and the other ...

  1. Attaching to Mail Boxes

    Does the mapi client need to be on the Exchange server or Backup server. My
    installation has Exchange 5.5 on one NT server, but the BENT 8.6 install is
    on another server. I am backing up Exchange and the other data via remote
    agent, but can not attach to mail boxes.

    Would appreciate some help. Have been through the knowledge base.

  2. Re: Attaching to Mail Boxes

    To do a MailBox backup, Exchange Client/Outlook must be installed on the
    backup server.

    If you are just setting this up, take a look at
    http://mail.tekscan.com/nomailboxes.htm for a discussion of why they are
    not recommended. And also scan this newsgroup to see how many people
    are suprised at what actually gets restored or doesn't.

    Most who try a mailbox restore seem to have problems.

    Steve Lawrie wrote:

    >Does the mapi client need to be on the Exchange server or Backup server. My
    >installation has Exchange 5.5 on one NT server, but the BENT 8.6 install is
    >on another server. I am backing up Exchange and the other data via remote
    >agent, but can not attach to mail boxes.
    >
    >Would appreciate some help. Have been through the knowledge base.

  3. Re: Attaching to Mail Boxes

    Hi Steve,

    yes you must have installed a Mapi Client (outlook) on the Backup Server.
    As well take care, that both Server (Exchange and Backupserver) has the same
    Service Packe (if possible). As well you must create a Mailbox for the Backupexecuser
    and must be log on to the Backup Server with this User Account.

    Regards Jan

    "Steve Lawrie" wrote:
    >Does the mapi client need to be on the Exchange server or Backup server.

    My
    >installation has Exchange 5.5 on one NT server, but the BENT 8.6 install

    is
    >on another server. I am backing up Exchange and the other data via remote
    >agent, but can not attach to mail boxes.
    >
    >Would appreciate some help. Have been through the knowledge base.

+ Reply to Thread