Slow backup after restarting the server and TBU - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Slow backup after restarting the server and TBU - Veritas Backup Exec ; PLEASE, I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is the situation. I had problems with my backup server all week long. The backup did not start once. The Job Engine was stopping for no reason. I checked in the Event Viewer of my ...

  1. Slow backup after restarting the server and TBU

    PLEASE, I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    This is the situation.

    I had problems with my backup server all week long. The backup did not start
    once. The Job Engine was stopping for no reason. I checked in the Event
    Viewer of my Win2k server and nothing. I have a Win2k server with BENT 8.6
    rev.3878 doing backup on a Compaq ML5026. Yesterday night, after a lot of
    trying, rebooting the server, my backup finally started. At a speed of 1.8M/min!!!!!!!!.
    Usually, the speed is up to 340M/min. This morning, I closed my TBU, the
    server, restarted the TBU and waited until it was online to restart my server.
    I did a backup test to see the speed and it runs at a speed of 50M/min (still
    very far from my 340!!).

    Nothing as changed on my server or on my TBU. No changes as been made to
    the network connections as well.

    Can somebody point me to somewhere to start looking. I looked at my configurations
    and nothing seems to have change.

    Thanks a lot to anyone's help.

    Pascal

  2. Re: Slow backup after restarting the server and TBU

    Some checks I would do:

    Overheating - fans - cooling vents blocked?
    Max reg size reached?
    Free space?
    Virus Scan
    Turn off antivirus
    check, swap or reseat cables
    pagefile corruption?
    Verify that all NICs/switch ports are NOT set to Auto-Negotiate. Hard set
    to 100/Full or 100/Half.
    Power fluctuations?
    defragment?
    bad disk blocks?
    SCSI terminater gone bad?

    hth,
    DL Meade, CNE, MCP
    Network Administrator
    Frankfurt-Short-Bruza
    www.fsb-ae.com
    www.oklahomadome.com
    "Pascal" wrote in message

    > PLEASE, I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    >
    > This is the situation.
    >
    > I had problems with my backup server all week long. The backup did not

    start
    > once. The Job Engine was stopping for no reason. I checked in the Event
    > Viewer of my Win2k server and nothing. I have a Win2k server with BENT

    8.6
    > rev.3878 doing backup on a Compaq ML5026. Yesterday night, after a lot of
    > trying, rebooting the server, my backup finally started. At a speed of

    1.8M/min!!!!!!!!.
    > Usually, the speed is up to 340M/min. This morning, I closed my TBU, the
    > server, restarted the TBU and waited until it was online to restart my

    server.
    > I did a backup test to see the speed and it runs at a speed of 50M/min

    (still
    > very far from my 340!!).
    >
    > Nothing as changed on my server or on my TBU. No changes as been made to
    > the network connections as well.
    >
    > Can somebody point me to somewhere to start looking. I looked at my

    configurations
    > and nothing seems to have change.
    >
    > Thanks a lot to anyone's help.
    >
    > Pascal