3 days to back up exchange server - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on 3 days to back up exchange server - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi, Our backup exec 8.6 (win2k sp3) seems to do something very odd. Im not sure if its caused by BE8.6 or just apparent in BE8.6, but can you help ? We have a backup that runs each weekday night ...

  1. 3 days to back up exchange server

    Hi,

    Our backup exec 8.6 (win2k sp3) seems to do something very odd. Im not sure
    if its caused by BE8.6 or just apparent in BE8.6, but can you help ?

    We have a backup that runs each weekday night at 8pm. The backup that runs
    every tuesday night takes over 48 hours to complete. This week, the backup
    that ran on tuesday didnt complete till friday.

    Now, the log shows no errors, simply this;

    Media Name: "Media created 18/11/2002 22:00:13 "
    Backup of "\\G2LSVR001\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
    Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    Backup set description: "COMPLETE"
    Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    Backup started on 21/11/2002 at 19:33:44 .
    Log files

    Backup completed on 21/11/2002 at 19:50:32 .
    Backed up 2 Exchange Server store(s)
    Backed up Exchange Server logs
    Processed 4,237,730,606 bytes in 16 minutes and 48 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 240.6 MB/min

    Before that in the log file is the 'header' information (ie overwrite
    settings, drive info etc).

    There is no reason i can see of that the backup should take 3 days to get to
    the first thing in the log file. Also, why doesnt an error occur for the
    backups on wednesday and thursday ?

    Any ideas ?

    ADSSupport.net
    http://www.adssupport.net
    Dedicated free Active Directory ServicesT support

    email: oliver.marshall@nospam@adssupport.net

  2. Re: 3 days to back up exchange server

    Your log indicates that the job finished in 16 minutes

    Do yo have "Eject on End" specified as part of the job description? If
    so, BackupExec will eject the tape, then put up an alert to remove the
    tape. Until you either remove the tape or respond to the Alert, the job
    stays "running"

    Remove Eject on End and eject manually when you swap tapes

    Oliver Marshall wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >Our backup exec 8.6 (win2k sp3) seems to do something very odd. Im not sure
    >if its caused by BE8.6 or just apparent in BE8.6, but can you help ?
    >
    >We have a backup that runs each weekday night at 8pm. The backup that runs
    >every tuesday night takes over 48 hours to complete. This week, the backup
    >that ran on tuesday didnt complete till friday.
    >
    >Now, the log shows no errors, simply this;
    >
    >Media Name: "Media created 18/11/2002 22:00:13 "
    >Backup of "\\G2LSVR001\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
    >Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >Backup set description: "COMPLETE"
    >Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    >Backup started on 21/11/2002 at 19:33:44 .
    >Log files
    >
    >Backup completed on 21/11/2002 at 19:50:32 .
    >Backed up 2 Exchange Server store(s)
    >Backed up Exchange Server logs
    >Processed 4,237,730,606 bytes in 16 minutes and 48 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 240.6 MB/min
    >

    >Before that in the log file is the 'header' information (ie overwrite
    >settings, drive info etc).
    >
    >There is no reason i can see of that the backup should take 3 days to get to
    >the first thing in the log file. Also, why doesnt an error occur for the
    >backups on wednesday and thursday ?
    >
    >Any ideas ?
    >
    >--
    >ADSSupport.net
    >http://www.adssupport.net
    >Dedicated free Active Directory ServicesT support
    >
    >email: oliver.marshall@nospam@adssupport.net

  3. Re: 3 days to back up exchange server

    Yes it completed in that time, but the time between starting the backup job,
    and starting to backup exchange (remembering that NOTHING is happening
    inbetween) is 3 DAYS!!!

    In this time, the tapes where changed as normal (the tape change log report
    in the safe room shows this happened), and no alerts about tapes or anything
    else are listed in the Alerts window of BE8.6

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Your log indicates that the job finished in 16 minutes
    >
    > Do yo have "Eject on End" specified as part of the job description? If
    > so, BackupExec will eject the tape, then put up an alert to remove the
    > tape. Until you either remove the tape or respond to the Alert, the job
    > stays "running"
    >
    > Remove Eject on End and eject manually when you swap tapes
    >
    > Oliver Marshall wrote:
    >
    > >Hi,
    > >
    > >Our backup exec 8.6 (win2k sp3) seems to do something very odd. Im not

    sure
    > >if its caused by BE8.6 or just apparent in BE8.6, but can you help ?
    > >
    > >We have a backup that runs each weekday night at 8pm. The backup that

    runs
    > >every tuesday night takes over 48 hours to complete. This week, the

    backup
    > >that ran on tuesday didnt complete till friday.
    > >
    > >Now, the log shows no errors, simply this;
    > >
    > >Media Name: "Media created 18/11/2002 22:00:13 "
    > >Backup of "\\G2LSVR001\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group "
    > >Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    > >Backup set description: "COMPLETE"
    > >Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    > >Backup started on 21/11/2002 at 19:33:44 .
    > >Log files
    > >
    > >Backup completed on 21/11/2002 at 19:50:32 .
    > >Backed up 2 Exchange Server store(s)
    > >Backed up Exchange Server logs
    > >Processed 4,237,730,606 bytes in 16 minutes and 48 seconds.
    > >Throughput rate: 240.6 MB/min
    > >

    > >Before that in the log file is the 'header' information (ie overwrite
    > >settings, drive info etc).
    > >
    > >There is no reason i can see of that the backup should take 3 days to get

    > >the first thing in the log file. Also, why doesnt an error occur for the
    > >backups on wednesday and thursday ?
    > >
    > >Any ideas ?
    > >
    > >--
    > >________________________________________________
    > >ADSSupport.net
    > >http://www.adssupport.net
    > >Dedicated free Active Directory ServicesT support
    > >
    > >email: oliver.marshall@nospam@adssupport.net

  4. Re: 3 days to back up exchange server

    Sorry, the caffeine hadn't kicked in yet.

    I know that i've seen this problem reported before, but can't remember what
    build or what the resolution was.

    Let me cogitate awhile.

    "
    >> >Backup set #1 on storage media #1
    >> >Backup set description: "COMPLETE"
    >> >Backup Type: FULL - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
    >> >Backup started on 21/11/2002 at 19:33:44 .
    >> >Log files
    >> >
    >> >Backup completed on 21/11/2002 at 19:50:32 .
    >> >Backed up 2 Exchange Server store(s)
    >> >Backed up Exchange Server logs
    >> >Processed 4,237,730,606 bytes in 16 minutes and 48 seconds.
    >> >Throughput rate: 240.6 MB/min
    >> >

    >> >Before that in the log file is the 'header' information (ie overwrite
    >> >settings, drive info etc).
    >> >
    >> >There is no reason i can see of that the backup should take 3 days to

    get
    >> >the first thing in the log file. Also, why doesnt an error occur for

    the
    >> >backups on wednesday and thursday ?
    >> >
    >> >Any ideas ?
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >ADSSupport.net
    >> >http://www.adssupport.net
    >> >Dedicated free Active Directory ServicesT support
    >> >
    >> >email: oliver.marshall@nospam@adssupport.net

+ Reply to Thread