Rotation problem/setup. - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Rotation problem/setup. - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hi I'm new to Backup Exec and I'm in the process of setting up a rotation scheme. What I have is 5 tapes for Mon-Fri and on Mon I do a full backup and diffs on Tues-Fri. What I want ...

  1. Rotation problem/setup.

    Hi I'm new to Backup Exec and I'm in the process of setting up a rotation
    scheme. What I have is 5 tapes for Mon-Fri and on Mon I do a full backup
    and diffs on Tues-Fri.

    What I want to do is use a tape for the full backup on Mon, then Tues-Fri
    have it use one tape per night (I don't have alot of data so should fit on
    a tape) ie. and rotate to the next tape for the following night.

    I've used Media Rotation Wizard and I've set the Full Backup fpr Mon but
    for Tues-Fri it uses the same tape and doesn't move to a new tape for the
    next day.

    Thanks in advance.

    Os

  2. Re: Rotation problem/setup.

    Just so I understand -
    You want monday's job on tape1, tuesdays on tape2 wednesday's on tape3 etc?

    If so, create partitions on your loader (Devices tab, right click the library/partition
    Then create 5 jobs, all overwrite, (with the media set retention set so that
    when you re-use the tapes, they have expired)) one for each day, pointed
    at the partitions rather than at the library as a whole

    "Osmond" wrote:

    >Hi I'm new to Backup Exec and I'm in the process of setting up a rotation
    >scheme. What I have is 5 tapes for Mon-Fri and on Mon I do a full backup
    >and diffs on Tues-Fri.
    >
    >What I want to do is use a tape for the full backup on Mon, then Tues-Fri
    >have it use one tape per night (I don't have alot of data so should fit

    on
    >a tape) ie. and rotate to the next tape for the following night.
    >
    >I've used Media Rotation Wizard and I've set the Full Backup fpr Mon but
    >for Tues-Fri it uses the same tape and doesn't move to a new tape for the
    >next day.
    >

    >Thanks in advance.
    >
    >Os

+ Reply to Thread