slow backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on slow backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello, I use backup exec for windows nt/2000 v.8.6 with a quantum dlt 4000 tape drive. Is there any trick to increasing the throughput? All suugestions I have had from veritas and quantum don't seem to help. I have been ...

  1. slow backups

    Hello,

    I use backup exec for windows nt/2000 v.8.6 with a quantum dlt 4000 tape
    drive. Is there any trick to increasing the throughput? All suugestions
    I have had from veritas and quantum don't seem to help. I have been running
    without the antivirus software running and I have upgraded the firmware on
    the quantum drive. The fastest throughput I have have been 198mb/min when
    backing up the oracle databases but for othet jobs local/remote it can be
    as slow as 90mb/min.

  2. Re: slow backups

    Some thoughts:

    - Verify that all NICs/switch ports are NOT set to Auto-Negotiate.
    Hard set to 100/Full or 100/Half.
    - Tape device sharing the RAID controller?
    - Tape device block size - I have never had to change mine, but
    some others have gotten good performance increases by monkeying
    around with this.
    - Is there an OGL screen saver active?
    - Tried new tapes?
    - Fragmented data?
    - I had HP recommend decreasing the SCSI BIOS throughput speed,
    but never had any difference in speed, ymmv.

    We get around 250-350 MB/min on 100BT and an HP DLTIV.

    hth,
    DL Meade, CNE, MCP
    Network Administrator
    Frankfurt-Short-Bruza
    www.fsb-ae.com
    www.oklahomadome.com
    "CD MARK" wrote in message

    > Hello,
    >
    > I use backup exec for windows nt/2000 v.8.6 with a quantum dlt 4000 tape
    > drive. Is there any trick to increasing the throughput? All suugestions
    > I have had from veritas and quantum don't seem to help. I have been

    running
    > without the antivirus software running and I have upgraded the firmware on
    > the quantum drive. The fastest throughput I have have been 198mb/min when
    > backing up the oracle databases but for othet jobs local/remote it can be
    > as slow as 90mb/min.

+ Reply to Thread