pesky overwrite alerts - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on pesky overwrite alerts - Veritas Backup Exec ; I set up my media to allow overwrites but my back up jobs NEVER run at the scheduled times because BE always gives me Alerts that I need to Respond OK before it will overwrite the media. As I'm rarely ...

  1. pesky overwrite alerts

    I set up my media to allow overwrites but my back up jobs NEVER run at the
    scheduled times because BE always gives me Alerts that I need to Respond OK
    before it will overwrite the media. As I'm rarely in the office or even
    awake at 3 AM when the jobs start the job often sits until the next morning.
    I want BE to overwrite the media I put in the drive without a warning. TIA,
    Ari

  2. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    Forgot to mention.... the Overwrite Protection Period is already set to NONE
    and the warnings keep coming up anyway.

    "Ari Wilker" wrote in message
    > I set up my media to allow overwrites but my back up jobs NEVER run at the
    > scheduled times because BE always gives me Alerts that I need to Respond

    OK
    > before it will overwrite the media. As I'm rarely in the office or even
    > awake at 3 AM when the jobs start the job often sits until the next

    morning.
    > I want BE to overwrite the media I put in the drive without a warning.

    TIA,
    > Ari

  3. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    "Ari Wilker" wrote:
    >Forgot to mention.... the Overwrite Protection Period is already set to

    NONE
    >and the warnings keep coming up anyway.
    >
    >"Ari Wilker" wrote in message
    >> I set up my media to allow overwrites but my back up jobs NEVER run at

    the
    >> scheduled times because BE always gives me Alerts that I need to Respond

    >OK
    >> before it will overwrite the media. As I'm rarely in the office or even
    >> awake at 3 AM when the jobs start the job often sits until the next

    >morning.
    >> I want BE to overwrite the media I put in the drive without a warning.

    >TIA,
    >> Ari

    go to Menu->Options-> Media Overdide tab. Click on None under media override
    protection. Below "none" there is a check mark. You have to uncheck that
    checkmark.

  4. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.

    "Chris Pavlides" wrote in message

    > "Ari Wilker" wrote:
    > >Forgot to mention.... the Overwrite Protection Period is already set to

    > NONE
    > >and the warnings keep coming up anyway.
    > >
    > >"Ari Wilker" wrote in message
    > >> I set up my media to allow overwrites but my back up jobs NEVER run at

    > the
    > >> scheduled times because BE always gives me Alerts that I need to

    Respond
    > >OK
    > >> before it will overwrite the media. As I'm rarely in the office or

    even
    > >> awake at 3 AM when the jobs start the job often sits until the next

    > >morning.
    > >> I want BE to overwrite the media I put in the drive without a warning.

    > >TIA,
    > >> Ari
    > >>

    > go to Menu->Options-> Media Overdide tab. Click on None under media

    override
    > protection. Below "none" there is a check mark. You have to uncheck that
    > checkmark.

  5. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    Change the retention period of the Media set you are using so that when they
    are re-used, tapes have expired.

    Or, when you loada the tapes, inventory them, then drag to the scratch media
    set

    "Ari Wilker" wrote:
    >Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.
    >
    >"Chris Pavlides" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Ari Wilker" wrote:
    >> >Forgot to mention.... the Overwrite Protection Period is already set

    >> NONE
    >> >and the warnings keep coming up anyway.
    >> >
    >> >"Ari Wilker" wrote in message

    at
    >> the

    >Respond
    >> >OK

    >even
    >> >morning.
    >> >TIA,
    >> >>

    >> go to Menu->Options-> Media Overdide tab. Click on None under media

    >override
    >> protection. Below "none" there is a check mark. You have to uncheck that
    >> checkmark.

  6. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    just for grins, completely get out of backup exec stop services and then
    restart services and got back into BE. Maybe that will help things...
    "Ari Wilker" wrote in message
    > Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.
    >
    > "Chris Pavlides" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Ari Wilker" wrote:
    > > >Forgot to mention.... the Overwrite Protection Period is already set to

    > > NONE
    > > >and the warnings keep coming up anyway.
    > > >
    > > >"Ari Wilker" wrote in message

    at
    > > the

    > Respond
    > > >OK

    > even
    > > >morning.

    warning.
    > > >TIA,
    > > >>

    > > go to Menu->Options-> Media Overdide tab. Click on None under media

    > override
    > > protection. Below "none" there is a check mark. You have to uncheck that
    > > checkmark.

  7. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    I will try that.... it seems to work for countless other problems. Thank
    you.
    I guess its like me telling my users to reboot BEFORE calling me over to
    "fix" their problems.

    "amyb" wrote in message news:3ddd0bf1$1@hronntp01....
    > just for grins, completely get out of backup exec stop services and then
    > restart services and got back into BE. Maybe that will help things...
    > "Ari Wilker" wrote in message
    > > Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.
    > >
    > > "Chris Pavlides" wrote in message

    > > > NONE

    > at
    > > > the

    > > Respond

    > > even

    > warning.
    > > > >>

    > > > go to Menu->Options-> Media Overdide tab. Click on None under media

    > > override
    > > > protection. Below "none" there is a check mark. You have to uncheck

    that
    > > > checkmark.

  8. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    Set the Overwrite Protection and Append Period to 1 hour. Then set the Overwrite
    protection to partial. This gets rid of these annoying messages.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Change the retention period of the Media set you are using so that when

    they
    >are re-used, tapes have expired.
    >
    >Or, when you loada the tapes, inventory them, then drag to the scratch media
    >set
    >
    >"Ari Wilker" wrote:
    >>Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.
    >>
    >>"Chris Pavlides" wrote in message

    >>> NONE

    >at
    >>> the

    >>Respond

    >>even
    >>> >>

    >>> go to Menu->Options-> Media Overdide tab. Click on None under media

    >>override
    >>> protection. Below "none" there is a check mark. You have to uncheck that
    >>> checkmark.

  9. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    Do as Jason suggested.

    None seams to really mean always ask!

    "Jason Reynolds" wrote in message

    > Set the Overwrite Protection and Append Period to 1 hour. Then set the

    Overwrite
    > protection to partial. This gets rid of these annoying messages.
    >

    > "Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >
    > >Change the retention period of the Media set you are using so that when

    > they
    > >are re-used, tapes have expired.
    > >
    > >Or, when you loada the tapes, inventory them, then drag to the scratch

    media
    > >set
    > >
    > >"Ari Wilker" wrote:
    > >>Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.
    > >>
    > >>"Chris Pavlides" wrote in message

    > >at
    > >>Respond
    > >>even

    warning.

    > >>override

    that

  10. Re: pesky overwrite alerts

    Did it work?

    > > just for grins, completely get out of backup exec stop services and then
    > > restart services and got back into BE. Maybe that will help things...
    > > "Ari Wilker" wrote in message
    > > > Thank you kindly... that check mark is already unchecked tho.
    > > >
    > > > "Chris Pavlides" wrote in message

    set

    run
    > > at