Newbie Questions - Eval of BE 8.6 for W2K - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Newbie Questions - Eval of BE 8.6 for W2K - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have 3 W3K servers all running Advanced Server. I would like to have one be the media server and it backup inself and the other two. The other two also have SQL 2000. So far, my eval has led ...

  1. Newbie Questions - Eval of BE 8.6 for W2K

    I have 3 W3K servers all running Advanced Server. I would like to have one
    be the media server and it backup inself and the other two. The other two
    also have SQL 2000. So far, my eval has led me to believe that OFO is useless
    due to keeping my CPU at 50% while trying to create a volumen file and then
    never performing the backup. Does this really work and it is worth it?

    Can someone help me with the following questions?

    - Is BE for Advanced Server really REQUIRED when running AS or will the
    regular BE for W2K work as well? How many licenses for Remote Agent that
    would work to backup other servers come with each?

    - When I perform a backup of C: where the OS is installed, must I also include
    "System State" to be able to fully restore the server or are these files
    included anyway when selecting C:?

    - Are there any consequences in not using OFO in restoring a server to a
    functional state other than some data might not missing?

    - IDR sounds really great in that you are not forced to reinstall W2K, then
    BE just to begin the restore. Can the IDR image be directed to another drive
    on the SCSI subsystem (RAID 0 for this drive) after booting from a floppy
    or CD? Or is a CD burner a must?

    - What licensing would I need for the above scenario. I assume BE 8.6 as
    the media server plus licensing for 2 Remote Agents minimum. I read somewhere
    BE for Advanced Server comes with 3 Remote Agent licenses with it...is this
    true? Would I also need to purchase a SQL Agent license for each SQL Server
    getting backed up? This could get expensive quickly .

    Any advice or answers will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

  2. Re: Newbie Questions - Eval of BE 8.6 for W2K

    Replies In-Line

    Don Draper wrote:

    >I have 3 W3K servers all running Advanced Server. I would like to have one
    >be the media server and it backup inself and the other two. The other two
    >also have SQL 2000. So far, my eval has led me to believe that OFO is useless
    >due to keeping my CPU at 50% while trying to create a volumen file and then
    >never performing the backup. Does this really work and it is worth it?

    I've neer used OFO

    >Can someone help me with the following questions?
    >
    > - Is BE for Advanced Server really REQUIRED when running AS or will the
    >regular BE for W2K work as well? How many licenses for Remote Agent that
    >would work to backup other servers come with each?

    Yes, Server version of BENT will not run or connect to AS or DC versions
    of W2K

    > - When I perform a backup of C: where the OS is installed, must I also include
    >"System State" to be able to fully restore the server or are these files
    >included anyway when selecting C:?

    Yes

    > - Are there any consequences in not using OFO in restoring a server to a
    >functional state other than some data might not missing?

    no

    > - IDR sounds really great in that you are not forced to reinstall W2K, then
    >BE just to begin the restore. Can the IDR image be directed to another drive
    >on the SCSI subsystem (RAID 0 for this drive) after booting from a floppy
    >or CD? Or is a CD burner a must?

    I've never used IDR, someone else will have to answer this

    > - What licensing would I need for the above scenario. I assume BE 8.6 as
    >the media server plus licensing for 2 Remote Agents minimum. I read somewhere
    >BE for Advanced Server comes with 3 Remote Agent licenses with it...is this
    >true? Would I also need to purchase a SQL Agent license for each SQL Server
    >getting backed up? This could get expensive quickly .

    You'll need one copy of BackupExec AS, two copies of the Remote Agent
    and two copies of the SQL agent if you want to do hot backups to tape of
    your SQL data, As an alternative, you could schedule SQL dump-to-disk
    (if you have the disk space available) and then grab the dump files with
    the flat file backup (no SQL agent)

    >Any advice or answers will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

  3. Re: Newbie Questions - Eval of BE 8.6 for W2K

    Thansk Ken,

    I appreciate your answers...very helpful. One clarification please. Of the
    question below, you answered "Yes" but to which...

    - must also include "System State" to fully restore server? ..or..
    - system state files are included anyway when selecting C: to backup?

    Thanks again!
    Don

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Replies In-Line
    >
    >Don Draper wrote:
    >
    >>I have 3 W3K servers all running Advanced Server. I would like to have

    one
    >>be the media server and it backup inself and the other two. The other two
    >>also have SQL 2000. So far, my eval has led me to believe that OFO is useless
    >>due to keeping my CPU at 50% while trying to create a volumen file and

    then
    >>never performing the backup. Does this really work and it is worth it?
    >>

    >I've neer used OFO
    >
    >>Can someone help me with the following questions?
    >>
    >> - Is BE for Advanced Server really REQUIRED when running AS or will the
    >>regular BE for W2K work as well? How many licenses for Remote Agent that
    >>would work to backup other servers come with each?
    >>

    >Yes, Server version of BENT will not run or connect to AS or DC versions

    >of W2K
    >
    >> - When I perform a backup of C: where the OS is installed, must I also

    include
    >>"System State" to be able to fully restore the server or are these files
    >>included anyway when selecting C:?
    >>

    >Yes
    >
    >> - Are there any consequences in not using OFO in restoring a server to

    >>functional state other than some data might not missing?
    >>

    >no
    >
    >> - IDR sounds really great in that you are not forced to reinstall W2K,

    then
    >>BE just to begin the restore. Can the IDR image be directed to another

    drive
    >>on the SCSI subsystem (RAID 0 for this drive) after booting from a floppy
    >>or CD? Or is a CD burner a must?
    >>

    >I've never used IDR, someone else will have to answer this
    >
    >> - What licensing would I need for the above scenario. I assume BE 8.6

    as
    >>the media server plus licensing for 2 Remote Agents minimum. I read somewhere
    >>BE for Advanced Server comes with 3 Remote Agent licenses with it...is

    this
    >>true? Would I also need to purchase a SQL Agent license for each SQL Server
    >>getting backed up? This could get expensive quickly .
    >>

    >You'll need one copy of BackupExec AS, two copies of the Remote Agent
    >and two copies of the SQL agent if you want to do hot backups to tape of

    >your SQL data, As an alternative, you could schedule SQL dump-to-disk
    >(if you have the disk space available) and then grab the dump files with

    >the flat file backup (no SQL agent)
    >
    >>Any advice or answers will be greatly appreciated. TIA.

  4. Re: Newbie Questions - Eval of BE 8.6 for W2K

    You must include System State to get distaster recovery type backups

+ Reply to Thread