BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6 - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6 - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have a single BackupExec 7.2 Server that backs up 6 file servers over the network during off-hours. About -> Help indicates a multi-server license (I inherited the network with no documentation). I am purchasing SQL Server 2000, and would ...

  1. BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    I have a single BackupExec 7.2 Server that backs up 6 file servers over the
    network during off-hours. About -> Help indicates a multi-server license (I
    inherited the network with no documentation). I am purchasing SQL Server
    2000, and would like to include this in the backups.

    1. I need to upgrade to BE 8.6 to purchase the SQL Agent compatible with
    SQL2000, correct?

    2. What licenses will I need to purchase with BE 8.6? Single standard server
    plus SQL Agent?

    3. Does Veritas offer upgrade pricing for BE 8.6?

    4. Any forseable problems?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    Hello,

    1.) yes you need defently an upgrade to BE 8.6 when you will use the
    SQLAgent for SQL2000

    2.& 3.) Veritas offers upgrade Licenses for BE-Server , also when you
    allready have installed an
    old Agent for SQL you can buy an upgrade License for it.

    When you say you saw that you have allready installed a multi-server license
    you need an upgrade License
    to BE8.6 Advanced-Server in this Upgrade it will automaticly installed 3
    Remote Agents for your Remote Server
    for the other 3 you need per Server a Extra Remote Agent License (for backup
    Server over Network)
    Also you need for every SQL-Server 1 License Sql-Agent or uprgrade license
    (i thought that is clear).

    4.) problems are some known :

    the biggest problem is that veritas change there db-model from 7.x to 8.x so
    it is the best way to
    contact veritas support direct for all known probs also of the instructions
    of installing....

    hth

    regards

    Werner Steinegger

    "Yoann Roman" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > I have a single BackupExec 7.2 Server that backs up 6 file servers over

    the
    > network during off-hours. About -> Help indicates a multi-server license

    (I
    > inherited the network with no documentation). I am purchasing SQL Server
    > 2000, and would like to include this in the backups.
    >
    > 1. I need to upgrade to BE 8.6 to purchase the SQL Agent compatible with
    > SQL2000, correct?
    >
    > 2. What licenses will I need to purchase with BE 8.6? Single standard

    server
    > plus SQL Agent?
    >
    > 3. Does Veritas offer upgrade pricing for BE 8.6?
    >
    > 4. Any forseable problems?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    > When you say you saw that you have allready installed a multi-server
    > license you need an upgrade License
    > to BE8.6 Advanced-Server in this Upgrade it will automaticly
    > installed 3 Remote Agents for your Remote Server
    > for the other 3 you need per Server a Extra Remote Agent License (for
    > backup Server over Network)

    This is the part I'm confused about... if I'm backing up my servers over the
    network using standard Windows shares (as I'm doing now), why would I need
    additional licenses per server?

    Currently, the *only* backup software is on a single server. Remote servers
    do not have *any* agents, whatsoever. My backup is configured to copy
    directly from Windows shares.

    So what am I "purchasing" for the file servers? And is it required if I'm
    doing a backup over Windows shares? I know BE 7.2 offered an additional
    Agent Accelerator for network server backup, but it was in no way required.

  4. Re: BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    Veritas changed their licensing scheme with v8.0

    V7.x the NTAA was optional, but was highly recommened
    v8.x the Remote Agent is required to connect in ANY WAY to a ServerOS
    machine, and is also the only way to get disaster-recovery type restores
    (system state etc)

    Yoann Roman wrote:

    >>When you say you saw that you have allready installed a multi-server
    >>license you need an upgrade License
    >>to BE8.6 Advanced-Server in this Upgrade it will automaticly
    >>installed 3 Remote Agents for your Remote Server
    >>for the other 3 you need per Server a Extra Remote Agent License (for
    >>backup Server over Network)
    >>

    >This is the part I'm confused about... if I'm backing up my servers over the
    >network using standard Windows shares (as I'm doing now), why would I need
    >additional licenses per server?
    >
    >Currently, the *only* backup software is on a single server. Remote servers
    >do not have *any* agents, whatsoever. My backup is configured to copy
    >directly from Windows shares.
    >
    >So what am I "purchasing" for the file servers? And is it required if I'm
    >doing a backup over Windows shares? I know BE 7.2 offered an additional
    >Agent Accelerator for network server backup, but it was in no way required.

  5. Re: BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    > Veritas changed their licensing scheme with v8.0
    >
    > V7.x the NTAA was optional, but was highly recommened
    > v8.x the Remote Agent is required to connect in ANY WAY to a ServerOS
    > machine, and is also the only way to get disaster-recovery type
    > restores (system state etc)

    So, I'm looking at significant expenses to upgrade... ugh!

  6. Re: BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    Welcome to the club Whe we converted I had eight backup servers running
    12 DLT7000s, backing up 39 Servers, and 2 Exchange Servers

    "Yoann Roman" wrote:
    >> Veritas changed their licensing scheme with v8.0
    >>
    >> V7.x the NTAA was optional, but was highly recommened
    >> v8.x the Remote Agent is required to connect in ANY WAY to a ServerOS
    >> machine, and is also the only way to get disaster-recovery type
    >> restores (system state etc)

    >So, I'm looking at significant expenses to upgrade... ugh!

  7. Re: BackupExec 7.2 to 8.6

    "Yoann Roman" wrote:
    >> Veritas changed their licensing scheme with v8.0
    >>
    >> V7.x the NTAA was optional, but was highly recommened
    >> v8.x the Remote Agent is required to connect in ANY WAY to a ServerOS
    >> machine, and is also the only way to get disaster-recovery type
    >> restores (system state etc)

    >So, I'm looking at significant expenses to upgrade... ugh!

    Ah yes, I'm currently pricing 8.6 and we have 7.3 Multi server as well.
    With all the agents, SQL, remotes (ugh), Open file Option, IDR and exchange.
    You can do the math. The ones who reside over the budjet compare this cost
    to when 7.3 was bought many years ago. So, I feel your pain.

+ Reply to Thread