Cannot finish cataloging media - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Cannot finish cataloging media - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have backed up my system to a Travan TR-4 tape using WIN2K Pro's Backup utility, but the last backup selections exceeded the tapes capacity. When prompted to insert additional media, "cancel" was selected and the job was terminated. I ...

  1. Cannot finish cataloging media

    I have backed up my system to a Travan TR-4 tape using WIN2K Pro's Backup
    utility, but the last backup selections exceeded the tapes capacity. When
    prompted to insert additional media, "cancel" was selected and the job was
    terminated. I need to get the files off of this tape somehow, but I cannot
    complete a catalog operation, as Backup is asking for the next piece of media
    in the set, which doesn't exist. How can I catalog & restore these files?

    -Steve Bills , former Seagate Software/VERITAS Employee, HRO & DUR offices
    1995-2001

  2. Re: Cannot finish cataloging media

    I've never tried this, but someone got the info from Veritas Support and
    posted here a while ago

    (From Backup Exec Support)

    Open Backup Exec, go to tools/options.
    Go to Catalog tab.
    Uncheck the option to "Use Storage Media-Based catalogs",
    Then inventory/catalog the tape.
    This will allow the software to create a catalog of the tape, file for file.

    If the catalog does not appear in restore selections.
    Close Backup Exec, stop all BENT services in the Control Panel.
    Open the Explorer and go to \program files\veritas\backup exec\nt.
    Rename the Catalogs folder to catalogs_old
    Start all BENT services and Open BE.
    Then inventory/catalog the tape, with the above option unselected.

    To return to your saved catalogs, delete the catalogs directory and
    rename catalogs_old to catalogs.

    Steve Bills wrote:

    >I have backed up my system to a Travan TR-4 tape using WIN2K Pro's Backup
    >utility, but the last backup selections exceeded the tapes capacity. When
    >prompted to insert additional media, "cancel" was selected and the job was
    >terminated. I need to get the files off of this tape somehow, but I cannot
    >complete a catalog operation, as Backup is asking for the next piece of media
    >in the set, which doesn't exist. How can I catalog & restore these files?
    >

    >-Steve Bills , former Seagate Software/VERITAS Employee, HRO & DUR offices
    >1995-2001

+ Reply to Thread