Shared Storage - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Shared Storage - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have BE 8.5 loaded on server 1 and have added an additional server (server 2) to the domain that has a DLT drive. Is it possible to use the DLT in server 2 to perform backups? I don't have ...

  1. Shared Storage

    I have BE 8.5 loaded on server 1 and have added an additional server (server
    2) to the domain that has a DLT drive. Is it possible to use the DLT in
    server 2 to perform backups? I don't have a SAN so SSO is probably not an
    option. I was hoping to split my backup job into 2 different jobs to run
    on each drive. Could I install BE 8.6 on server 2 and have access to the
    job list on server 1? Thanks.

  2. Re: Shared Storage

    If it is possible, then I would try and put both drives on 1 machine, and
    then you can backup to a Pool(multiple drives)
    if you copy the install-files(program-files) from server 1 to server 2, then
    you have also copied the jobs with it.

    good Luck@

    Tom

    "Bill Uyer" wrote:

    >I have BE 8.5 loaded on server 1 and have added an additional server (server
    >2) to the domain that has a DLT drive. Is it possible to use the DLT in
    >server 2 to perform backups? I don't have a SAN so SSO is probably not

    an
    >option. I was hoping to split my backup job into 2 different jobs to run
    >on each drive. Could I install BE 8.6 on server 2 and have access to the
    >job list on server 1? Thanks.

  3. Re: Shared Storage

    See : http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/238107.htm

    Hope it helps

    "Bill Uyer" wrote in message

    > I have BE 8.5 loaded on server 1 and have added an additional server

    (server
    > 2) to the domain that has a DLT drive. Is it possible to use the DLT in
    > server 2 to perform backups? I don't have a SAN so SSO is probably not an
    > option. I was hoping to split my backup job into 2 different jobs to run
    > on each drive. Could I install BE 8.6 on server 2 and have access to the
    > job list on server 1? Thanks.

  4. Re: Shared Storage

    It would be easiest to just install the 2nd tape drive on the existing
    server and create new jobs pointing to the second drive. You can do
    this for no out-of-pocket.

    You cannot write to a tape drive physically connected to another server
    with Backup Exec.

    To install Backup Exec on a second machine will mean a second copy of
    Backup Exec.

    Bill Uyer wrote:

    >I have BE 8.5 loaded on server 1 and have added an additional server (server
    >2) to the domain that has a DLT drive. Is it possible to use the DLT in
    >server 2 to perform backups? I don't have a SAN so SSO is probably not an
    >option. I was hoping to split my backup job into 2 different jobs to run
    >on each drive. Could I install BE 8.6 on server 2 and have access to the
    >job list on server 1? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread