CRC Errors!!! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on CRC Errors!!! - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am running a W2K SBS with a Seagate DDS-3 tape drive and Backup Exec 8.6 and keep getting CRC errors. To give a bit of history on the server; 1. The motherboard has been replaced 2. The tape drive ...

  1. CRC Errors!!!

    I am running a W2K SBS with a Seagate DDS-3 tape drive and Backup Exec 8.6
    and keep getting CRC errors. To give a bit of history on the server;

    1. The motherboard has been replaced
    2. The tape drive has been replaced twice
    3. The SCSI cable has been replaced
    4. The tape drive was originally running of a SCSI port on the mother board.
    An additional SCSI card was installed and the tape drive is running off this
    5. The tapes have been replaced twice
    6. The tape drive has been cleaned numerous times.
    7. The server has been rebuilt

    I am pretty confident it isn't a hardware problem anymore...

    The tape drive is using the Seagate driver. Everytime we try to change this
    to the Veritas driver we loose the network card settings and the machine
    won't shut down. The only way we can get a backup is to disable the Veritas
    drivers and backup using Windows backup.

    I am suffering from a case of looking too closely at the problem to see the
    obvoius solution. Help please...anyone....

  2. Re: CRC Errors!!!

    take a look in your event viewer in the system log.....if you have event 7's.....try
    running a label media job or quick erase job on the tape..then try again

    if you get event 9, 11 or 15...since you have replaced everything numerous
    times, try finding out what scsi id the drive is on by going to the properties
    of the drive....then slow down the transfer rate on your scsi card to that
    scsi id through the scsi bios (ctrl-A for adaptecs during the server startup,
    then View Host Scsi adapters, then scsi configurations)...something like
    that...you will know you are in the right place when you see the scsi ID's
    1-15 and you can edit the Sync Transfer rate of the ID itself.....take it
    all the way down to 5mb/sec if you can just to test that it ISN'T a transfer
    rate clog

+ Reply to Thread