Catastrophic Recovery Procedure - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Catastrophic Recovery Procedure - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm trying to simulate a recovery of a domain controller (or any other machine) from scratch. According to the manual (Chapter 10, page 407), I'm supposed to install Windows 2000 on the machine being restored. That's done. Then, the instructions ...

  1. Catastrophic Recovery Procedure

    I'm trying to simulate a recovery of a domain controller (or any other machine)
    from scratch.

    According to the manual (Chapter 10, page 407), I'm supposed to install Windows
    2000 on the machine being restored. That's done. Then, the instructions
    go ... "Do not join a domain; leave the computer in a Workgroup. Do not
    install Active Directory". Ok, so I leave it in a workgroup.

    Then, at the media server, I'm supposed to install the remote agent to the
    remote computer. How do I do this if it's not in a domain?

    During the remote agent install, it asks me "Select the domains that contain
    the systems on which you want to install the remote agent". If I select
    the domain and click Next, it lists the servers in the domain. However,
    since the remote server isn't part of the domain yet (per the instructions),
    it isn't listed. If I don't select the domain and click Next, it says "No
    servers found in domain selection(s)".

    I then check the "Manually add additional systems" box and input the server
    name. I get the error message " is not in a valid format. The
    following format must be used: \\DOMAIN NAME\SERVER NAME.

    The question is -- am I supposed to join the domain or not?

    Anyway, I tried inputing the \\domain\server like it asked, and it proceeded.
    However, when it asked for the credentials, I gave it every password imaginable
    but it wouldn't work. I even set all the passwords to the same thing and
    it didn't work.

    Thoughts?

  2. Re: Catastrophic Recovery Procedure

    I think I figured it out (five minutes after I post the question - of course).
    I enabled Netbios over tcp/ip for the remote machine and now it's visible.
    The question now is, can this be done if it's policy to disable netbios
    over tcpip? Or do I HAVE to enable Netbios to do a restore?

    "Dave" wrote:

    >I'm trying to simulate a recovery of a domain controller (or any other machine)
    >from scratch.
    >
    >According to the manual (Chapter 10, page 407), I'm supposed to install

    Windows
    >2000 on the machine being restored. That's done. Then, the instructions
    >go ... "Do not join a domain; leave the computer in a Workgroup. Do not
    >install Active Directory". Ok, so I leave it in a workgroup.
    >
    >Then, at the media server, I'm supposed to install the remote agent to the
    >remote computer. How do I do this if it's not in a domain?
    >
    >During the remote agent install, it asks me "Select the domains that contain
    >the systems on which you want to install the remote agent". If I select
    >the domain and click Next, it lists the servers in the domain. However,
    >since the remote server isn't part of the domain yet (per the instructions),
    >it isn't listed. If I don't select the domain and click Next, it says "No
    >servers found in domain selection(s)".
    >
    >I then check the "Manually add additional systems" box and input the server
    >name. I get the error message " is not in a valid format.

    The
    >following format must be used: \\DOMAIN NAME\SERVER NAME.

    >The question is -- am I supposed to join the domain or not?
    >
    >Anyway, I tried inputing the \\domain\server like it asked, and it proceeded.
    > However, when it asked for the credentials, I gave it every password imaginable
    >but it wouldn't work. I even set all the passwords to the same thing and
    >it didn't work.
    >
    >Thoughts?

  3. Re: Catastrophic Recovery Procedure

    You could always install the Remote Agent directly from the CD.

    Drill down to ..\install\eng\i386\ntaa and run setupaa.cmd from a CMD
    prompt.

    Dave wrote:

    >I think I figured it out (five minutes after I post the question - of course).
    > I enabled Netbios over tcp/ip for the remote machine and now it's visible.
    > The question now is, can this be done if it's policy to disable netbios
    >over tcpip? Or do I HAVE to enable Netbios to do a restore?
    >
    >"Dave" wrote:
    >

    >>I'm trying to simulate a recovery of a domain controller (or any other machine)
    >>

    >>from scratch.

    >>According to the manual (Chapter 10, page 407), I'm supposed to install
    >>

    >Windows
    >

    >>2000 on the machine being restored. That's done. Then, the instructions
    >>go ... "Do not join a domain; leave the computer in a Workgroup. Do not
    >>install Active Directory". Ok, so I leave it in a workgroup.
    >>
    >>Then, at the media server, I'm supposed to install the remote agent to the
    >>remote computer. How do I do this if it's not in a domain?
    >>
    >>During the remote agent install, it asks me "Select the domains that contain
    >>the systems on which you want to install the remote agent". If I select
    >>the domain and click Next, it lists the servers in the domain. However,
    >>since the remote server isn't part of the domain yet (per the instructions),
    >>it isn't listed. If I don't select the domain and click Next, it says "No
    >>servers found in domain selection(s)".
    >>
    >>I then check the "Manually add additional systems" box and input the server
    >>name. I get the error message " is not in a valid format.
    >>

    >The
    >

    >>following format must be used: \\DOMAIN NAME\SERVER NAME.

    >>The question is -- am I supposed to join the domain or not?
    >>
    >>Anyway, I tried inputing the \\domain\server like it asked, and it proceeded.
    >>However, when it asked for the credentials, I gave it every password imaginable
    >>but it wouldn't work. I even set all the passwords to the same thing and
    >>it didn't work.
    >>
    >>Thoughts?

+ Reply to Thread