Backup Network - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Backup Network - Veritas Backup Exec ; I have 10 servers that need to be backed up nightly, I am finding that I still have alot of activity on the network during backup time, (users still logged in and working). I would like to create a backup ...

  1. Backup Network

    I have 10 servers that need to be backed up nightly, I am finding that I still
    have alot of activity on the network during backup time, (users still logged
    in and working). I would like to create a backup network by putting a second
    NIC card in each server and plugging those NIC's into their own switch, basically
    a poor man's SAN. I have all of the hardware to do this but not the knowledge
    I am currently using Veritas Backup Exec 8.6, I want all of the network
    traffic to pass through the second NIC's so the backup will not have to compete
    for network bandwith. TIA

    Ken McNeil

  2. Re: Backup Network

    You're lucky you're on v8.6

    From Tools/Options/Backup specify a Backup Network

    Or you could setup user defined shares pointing to the Backup Network
    addresses

    Ken McNeil wrote:

    >I have 10 servers that need to be backed up nightly, I am finding that I still
    >have alot of activity on the network during backup time, (users still logged
    >in and working). I would like to create a backup network by putting a second
    >NIC card in each server and plugging those NIC's into their own switch, basically
    >a poor man's SAN. I have all of the hardware to do this but not the knowledge
    > I am currently using Veritas Backup Exec 8.6, I want all of the network
    >traffic to pass through the second NIC's so the backup will not have to compete
    >for network bandwith. TIA
    >
    >Ken McNeil

+ Reply to Thread