Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do? - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do? - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backup Exec 8.5 rev. 3572 Windows NT Driver: stdat4 Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx Cannot perform backup or restore. Backup Exec says Bad Media under Devices and Unrecognizable Media under Alerts. Event ID: 11 under Event Viewer (The driver detected ...

  1. Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do?

    Backup Exec 8.5 rev. 3572
    Windows NT
    Driver: stdat4
    Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx

    Cannot perform backup or restore. Backup Exec says Bad Media under Devices
    and Unrecognizable Media under Alerts.
    Event ID: 11 under Event Viewer (The driver detected a controller error on
    \Device\Tape0.)

    Have tried different drivers, different tapes, have clean the tape drive
    several times, disconnected CD-rom drive so Tape device is alone on SCSI
    chain.
    So many people seem to have this problem and I wanna know the solution when
    I already tried the above.

    Should I go over to DLT instead? Should I upgrade Backup Exec? Should I buy
    new tapes (although I've tried that earlier)? Should I reinstall Backup Exec?

  2. Re: Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do?

    Grab and apply the MediaFix patch (TechNote 234341)

    "Tommie" wrote:

    >Backup Exec 8.5 rev. 3572
    >Windows NT
    >Driver: stdat4
    >Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx
    >
    >Cannot perform backup or restore. Backup Exec says Bad Media under Devices
    >and Unrecognizable Media under Alerts.
    >Event ID: 11 under Event Viewer (The driver detected a controller error

    on
    >\Device\Tape0.)
    >
    >Have tried different drivers, different tapes, have clean the tape drive
    >several times, disconnected CD-rom drive so Tape device is alone on SCSI
    >chain.
    >So many people seem to have this problem and I wanna know the solution when
    >I already tried the above.
    >
    >Should I go over to DLT instead? Should I upgrade Backup Exec? Should I

    buy
    >new tapes (although I've tried that earlier)? Should I reinstall Backup

    Exec?

  3. Re: Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do?

    The MediaFix is for build 3571 only, I have build 3572...

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Grab and apply the MediaFix patch (TechNote 234341)
    >
    >"Tommie" wrote:
    >>
    >>Backup Exec 8.5 rev. 3572
    >>Windows NT
    >>Driver: stdat4
    >>Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx
    >>
    >>Cannot perform backup or restore. Backup Exec says Bad Media under Devices
    >>and Unrecognizable Media under Alerts.
    >>Event ID: 11 under Event Viewer (The driver detected a controller error

    >on
    >>\Device\Tape0.)
    >>
    >>Have tried different drivers, different tapes, have clean the tape drive
    >>several times, disconnected CD-rom drive so Tape device is alone on SCSI
    >>chain.
    >>So many people seem to have this problem and I wanna know the solution

    when
    >>I already tried the above.
    >>
    >>Should I go over to DLT instead? Should I upgrade Backup Exec? Should I

    >buy
    >>new tapes (although I've tried that earlier)? Should I reinstall Backup

    >Exec?

  4. Re: Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do?

    Sorry, you're right

    Are you in the most recent firmware for your drive, and the most recent
    drivers for the drive and SCSI card?
    (I prefer manufacturer drivers over Veritas drivers)

    Tommie wrote:

    >The MediaFix is for build 3571 only, I have build 3572...
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >

    >>Grab and apply the MediaFix patch (TechNote 234341)
    >>
    >>"Tommie" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Backup Exec 8.5 rev. 3572
    >>>Windows NT
    >>>Driver: stdat4
    >>>Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx
    >>>
    >>>Cannot perform backup or restore. Backup Exec says Bad Media under Devices
    >>>and Unrecognizable Media under Alerts.
    >>>Event ID: 11 under Event Viewer (The driver detected a controller error
    >>>

    >>on
    >>

    >>>\Device\Tape0.)
    >>>
    >>>Have tried different drivers, different tapes, have clean the tape drive
    >>>several times, disconnected CD-rom drive so Tape device is alone on SCSI
    >>>chain.
    >>>So many people seem to have this problem and I wanna know the solution
    >>>

    >when
    >

    >>>I already tried the above.
    >>>
    >>>Should I go over to DLT instead? Should I upgrade Backup Exec? Should I
    >>>

    >>buy
    >>

    >>>new tapes (although I've tried that earlier)? Should I reinstall Backup
    >>>

    >>Exec?

  5. Re: Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do?

    Yes,

    I'm using
    Driver: stdat4, ver. 1.08
    Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx, firmware 7550
    Even tried new tapes, seems like the backup runs fine, it can write to media,
    but when it tries to verify, it reports this error:
    Storage device "ARCHIVE 0" reported an error on a request to read data from
    media.

    Error reported:
    The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

    Ken Putnam wrote:
    >Sorry, you're right
    >
    >Are you in the most recent firmware for your drive, and the most recent

    >drivers for the drive and SCSI card?
    >(I prefer manufacturer drivers over Veritas drivers)
    >
    >Tommie wrote:
    >
    >>The MediaFix is for build 3571 only, I have build 3572...
    >>

    >>"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>

    >>>Grab and apply the MediaFix patch (TechNote 234341)

    >>>on

    >>when

    >>>buy

    >>>Exec?

  6. Re: Bad/Unrecognizable media, version 8.5, what to do?

    See http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191087.htm

    Tommie wrote:

    >Yes,
    >
    >I'm using
    >Driver: stdat4, ver. 1.08
    >Tape device: Archive Python 04106-xxx, firmware 7550
    >Even tried new tapes, seems like the backup runs fine, it can write to media,
    >but when it tries to verify, it reports this error:
    >Storage device "ARCHIVE 0" reported an error on a request to read data from
    >media.
    >
    >Error reported:
    >The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.
    >

    >Ken Putnam wrote:
    >

    >>Sorry, you're right
    >>
    >>Are you in the most recent firmware for your drive, and the most recent
    >>

    >>drivers for the drive and SCSI card?
    >>(I prefer manufacturer drivers over Veritas drivers)
    >>
    >>Tommie wrote:
    >>

    >>>The MediaFix is for build 3571 only, I have build 3572...

    >>>when

+ Reply to Thread