Hardware Compression Inquiry - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Hardware Compression Inquiry - Veritas Backup Exec ; Currently, we do not have hardware compression enabled. If I enable hardware compression, will I be able to restore even if the other tape drive is different. I am thinking of Disaster Recovery scenarios. If not, should I try to ...

  1. Hardware Compression Inquiry

    Currently, we do not have hardware compression enabled.

    If I enable hardware compression, will I be able to restore even if the
    other tape drive is different.

    I am thinking of Disaster Recovery scenarios.

    If not, should I try to use software compression?

    Thanks in advance,
    Michael

  2. Re: Hardware Compression Inquiry

    I'm told that hardware compression on DAT drives SHOULD be compatible.
    I do know that several years ago, I learned the hard way that older
    DLT4000 drives were not compatible with newer DLT7000s. With today's
    hardware the overhead involved with software compression is negligable,
    and you should see no reduction in throughput with it enabled.

    Michael Henderson wrote:

    >Currently, we do not have hardware compression enabled.
    >
    >If I enable hardware compression, will I be able to restore even if the
    >other tape drive is different.
    >
    >I am thinking of Disaster Recovery scenarios.
    >
    >If not, should I try to use software compression?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Michael

  3. Re: Hardware Compression Inquiry

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > I'm told that hardware compression on DAT drives SHOULD be compatible.

    Ummm... not really. I had a backup tape made on a Compaq DAT changer -
    hardware compression enabled. Tried to restore it using Seagate DAT (single
    drive) and failed! :-( The operating system is the same on both machines -
    NT4 SP6. I got the following error:

    Storage device "ARCHIVE 1" reported an error on a request to read data from
    media.

    Error reported:
    Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    > I do know that several years ago, I learned the hard way that older
    > DLT4000 drives were not compatible with newer DLT7000s. With today's
    > hardware the overhead involved with software compression is negligable,
    > and you should see no reduction in throughput with it enabled.

  4. Re: Hardware Compression Inquiry

    Doesn't suprise me, but I've never used DAT drives.

    As I said in my earlier response, with today's server hardware, software
    compression should be neglible if it's noticable at all in terms of
    throughput.

    Ron wrote:

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    >

    >>I'm told that hardware compression on DAT drives SHOULD be compatible.
    >>

    >Ummm... not really. I had a backup tape made on a Compaq DAT changer -
    >hardware compression enabled. Tried to restore it using Seagate DAT (single
    >drive) and failed! :-( The operating system is the same on both machines -
    >NT4 SP6. I got the following error:
    >
    >Storage device "ARCHIVE 1" reported an error on a request to read data from
    >media.
    >
    >Error reported:
    >Data error (cyclic redundancy check)
    >
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >

    >> I do know that several years ago, I learned the hard way that older
    >>DLT4000 drives were not compatible with newer DLT7000s. With today's
    >>hardware the overhead involved with software compression is negligable,
    >>and you should see no reduction in throughput with it enabled.

+ Reply to Thread