BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backing up multiple NT 4.0 servers over a SAN is working fine, SSO + Media Server. The Backup speeds seem OK. However on a Restore the speed drops dramtically. Example: Average backup speed. 350Mb/Min - On a Restore 35Mb/Min. Can ...

  1. BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup

    Backing up multiple NT 4.0 servers over a SAN is working fine, SSO + Media
    Server.
    The Backup speeds seem OK. However on a Restore the speed drops dramtically.
    Example: Average backup speed. 350Mb/Min - On a Restore 35Mb/Min.
    Can anyone explain why please. I have read numerous articles in the Newsgroup
    which pretty much state Restore is always slower than a Backup. However,
    can anyone explain why or point me to a specfic Veritas Article that confirms
    that a Restore is Slower than Backup.

    Regards
    Pete

  2. Re: BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup

    Yah, I've also found that restores are about a factor of 10 (or
    sometimes more) slower than backups. Don't know why, and I never pursued
    it with Veritas, but it's been that way since at least v6.11

    Pete wrote:

    >Backing up multiple NT 4.0 servers over a SAN is working fine, SSO + Media
    >Server.
    >The Backup speeds seem OK. However on a Restore the speed drops dramtically.
    >Example: Average backup speed. 350Mb/Min - On a Restore 35Mb/Min.
    >Can anyone explain why please. I have read numerous articles in the Newsgroup
    >which pretty much state Restore is always slower than a Backup. However,
    >can anyone explain why or point me to a specfic Veritas Article that confirms
    >that a Restore is Slower than Backup.
    >
    >Regards
    >Pete

  3. Re: BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup

    The SSO option allows you to backup over fiber. But here is the catch, it
    restores over the LAN!! I noticed this a long time ago. While there is an
    "Backup Network" option, there is no "Restore Network" option to tell it to
    restore over your fiber network UNLESS YOU HAVE BENT INSTALLED LOCALLY ON
    ALL SERVERS. I am exactly sure how you have your SAN backup or Backup Exec
    software setup, but with our setup, the fiber card on each server has a
    virtual NIC and IP bound to it. I use a different IP/subnet for this
    virtual NIC, then specify the backup network to backup via the fiber route.

    "Pete" wrote in message

    > Backing up multiple NT 4.0 servers over a SAN is working fine, SSO + Media
    > Server.
    > The Backup speeds seem OK. However on a Restore the speed drops

    dramtically.
    > Example: Average backup speed. 350Mb/Min - On a Restore 35Mb/Min.
    > Can anyone explain why please. I have read numerous articles in the

    Newsgroup
    > which pretty much state Restore is always slower than a Backup. However,
    > can anyone explain why or point me to a specfic Veritas Article that

    confirms
    > that a Restore is Slower than Backup.
    >
    > Regards
    > Pete

  4. Re: BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup

    Many Thanks to Ronnie (and Ken) on this one - I do have
    BENT with SSO installed on all the servers as I also need to run some of
    the other agents - Exchange etc. I will have a look at the settings to see
    if I can locate the Network option. Its a bit of a pain as if I need to go
    down this route I may need to use a IP Driver for the HBA's to allow me to
    assign an IP and create a private network for the SAN.

    "Ronnie" wrote:
    >The SSO option allows you to backup over fiber. But here is the catch,

    it
    >restores over the LAN!! I noticed this a long time ago. While there is

    an
    >"Backup Network" option, there is no "Restore Network" option to tell it

    >restore over your fiber network UNLESS YOU HAVE BENT INSTALLED LOCALLY ON
    >ALL SERVERS. I am exactly sure how you have your SAN backup or Backup Exec
    >software setup, but with our setup, the fiber card on each server has a
    >virtual NIC and IP bound to it. I use a different IP/subnet for this
    >virtual NIC, then specify the backup network to backup via the fiber route.
    >
    >"Pete" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Backing up multiple NT 4.0 servers over a SAN is working fine, SSO + Media
    >> Server.
    >> The Backup speeds seem OK. However on a Restore the speed drops

    >dramtically.
    >> Example: Average backup speed. 350Mb/Min - On a Restore 35Mb/Min.
    >> Can anyone explain why please. I have read numerous articles in the

    >Newsgroup
    >> which pretty much state Restore is always slower than a Backup. However,
    >> can anyone explain why or point me to a specfic Veritas Article that

    >confirms
    >> that a Restore is Slower than Backup.
    >>
    >> Regards
    >> Pete

  5. Re: BENT 8.6 with SSO - Slow Restore compared to Backup

    That's exactly what I had to do so I could backup using one central server.
    While our fiber cards are of Compaq brand, they are originally made by
    Emulex. I installed the Emulex driver and assigned IP to all servers' fiber
    cards. Then I used the "backup network" option in BENT to backup over that
    virtual IP network. I have not been able to restore over fiber unless each
    server has BENT installed locally with fiber connection to the fiber switch
    and tape library. However, I've noticed that restore operations in general
    take longer anyway. Maybe it has to do with the fact that backup is only a
    read operation, restore is a write operation.

    "Pete" wrote in message

    > Many Thanks to Ronnie (and Ken) on this one - I do have
    > BENT with SSO installed on all the servers as I also need to run some of
    > the other agents - Exchange etc. I will have a look at the settings to see
    > if I can locate the Network option. Its a bit of a pain as if I need to go
    > down this route I may need to use a IP Driver for the HBA's to allow me to
    > assign an IP and create a private network for the SAN.

    > "Ronnie" wrote:
    > >The SSO option allows you to backup over fiber. But here is the catch,

    > it
    > >restores over the LAN!! I noticed this a long time ago. While there is

    > an
    > >"Backup Network" option, there is no "Restore Network" option to tell it

    > >restore over your fiber network UNLESS YOU HAVE BENT INSTALLED LOCALLY ON
    > >ALL SERVERS. I am exactly sure how you have your SAN backup or Backup

    Exec
    > >software setup, but with our setup, the fiber card on each server has a
    > >virtual NIC and IP bound to it. I use a different IP/subnet for this
    > >virtual NIC, then specify the backup network to backup via the fiber

    route.

    > >"Pete" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Backing up multiple NT 4.0 servers over a SAN is working fine, SSO +

    Media
    > >> Server.
    > >> The Backup speeds seem OK. However on a Restore the speed drops

    > >dramtically.
    > >> Example: Average backup speed. 350Mb/Min - On a Restore 35Mb/Min.
    > >> Can anyone explain why please. I have read numerous articles in the

    > >Newsgroup
    > >> which pretty much state Restore is always slower than a Backup.

    However,
    > >> can anyone explain why or point me to a specfic Veritas Article that

    > >confirms
    > >> that a Restore is Slower than Backup.
    > >>
    > >> Regards
    > >> Pete