Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why Veritas hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many people. I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

  1. Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why Veritas
    hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many people.
    I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running BE8.6
    (3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent as
    options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the backup.
    I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also here
    http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  2. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Intersting. I've 2 2550 with BE 3808 (server edition)+ Remote Agent + 2x OFO
    + 2x IDR (uninstalled, since doesn't work with Metaframe ICA database
    (access)). Same Python DDS 4 drive - never problems with backup, restore
    works fine (did complete restore couple of month ago - win2k sp3 + Metaframe
    XP = problems )

    Do you want to compare setup?
    Few questions.
    1 Where is Python attached to? If Adaptec, do you have bus termination on on
    tape drive? Is there anything else on the same controller?
    2. Is compression enabled on folders?
    3. Do you have Indexing service running?
    4. How much free space do you have on your drives, how much physical RAM is
    free and how OFO is configured?
    5. What cache policy do you have on your RAID - write through or write back?
    6. How is your AV (what do you use?) configured, (scan on access or scan on
    modify) if scheduled scans, what time.
    7. What BIOS, drivers do you use.
    8. Did you try to remove IDR?

    I'm about to change backup software on 4 more servers, 2 of which are pe2550
    with Python DDS4 and one acts as DC. Don't want it to reboot every now and
    then because of BE

    Dmitri

    "Jorge" wrote in message

    > I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why

    Veritas
    > hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many

    people.
    > I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running

    BE8.6
    > (3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent as
    > options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the

    backup.
    > I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also here
    > http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    > If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  3. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    most the time it is because of an antivirus interfering with OFO that causes
    a server to restart in the middle of a backup...easy to figure out...either
    run a job without using OFO or stop the antivirus services while running
    a test backup...also happens with disk defragmenting software or any other
    disk filter driver...they are both trying to take over the disk....having
    2 disk filter drivers running at the same time is bad

  4. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    I have been successful in doing backups from the data drive only, if I exclude
    the drive with the OS installed. Actually, it seems to reboot each time
    it goes into the \winnt\System32 directory. I read on another BBS of someone
    having the same trouble with the same directory. I have three more servers
    of the same kind, and none of them seems to be doing this, though. However,
    this is the only one running Windows 2000 AS (don't know if that would make
    a difference.)
    Dmitri: I am not sure of all the specifications of the server, so I will
    try to answer as best as I can.
    1.Is attached to an Adaptec 7899 controller. It is the only device attached
    to that controller. The Dell tech had me lower the transfere rate of the
    card to 40 instead of 160, since I was getting timeout errors with the tape.
    I still get them, so I don't think that was the issue. However, the tape
    backs up fine with the Windows backup tool, so I am assuming it is a BE issue.
    2.I am not sure. It is set to whatever is the Windows default.
    3.Same as above.
    4.I have 3gb free on the Windows partition, and 63gb free on the data partition.
    (about 25% of the partition is full.) The server has 1gb of RAM, and the
    OFO is configured to a minimum of 400mb and maximum of 1200mb, as indicated
    on the Veritas article about troubleshooting OFO errors.
    5.Not sure.
    6.No antivirus running at the moment. (Normally using Netshield, but removed
    it to troubleshoot the backups. Still not working.
    7.Bios is A07, upgraded firmware of the Python and the EMS, latest Adaptec
    driver for the scsi card, Using only the BE driver for the Python (not the
    Windows one.)
    8.Yes. I reinstalled BE with only the Advanced Server option, removing IDR,
    OFO and whatnot. Still not working.
    I hope that helps.

  5. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Jorge,

    Do not use BE tape drivers for Python, use Windows default 4mm drivers. When
    I download and install latest (August 2002) drivers I had big problem with
    corrupted NTMSDATA and Removable storage service and had to follow MS KB and
    not Veritas KB to get server back (after changing drivers back to Windows).
    Also should "fix" your timeouts.
    I'm supprised you've listen to Veritas tech and changed trasfer rate of your
    controller.

    Kill (disable) evil Indexing service (unless that is all you do on that
    machine - searching) and uncheck "Allow Indexing blah blah.." in properties
    of each volume.

    Now, is this machine a DC? Do not use write back cache as AD (still) has
    problems with caching. There are plenty of articles around on that.

    Dmitri

    "Jorge" wrote in message

    > I have been successful in doing backups from the data drive only, if I

    exclude
    > the drive with the OS installed. Actually, it seems to reboot each time
    > it goes into the \winnt\System32 directory. I read on another BBS of

    someone
    > having the same trouble with the same directory. I have three more

    servers
    > of the same kind, and none of them seems to be doing this, though.

    However,
    > this is the only one running Windows 2000 AS (don't know if that would

    make
    > a difference.)
    > Dmitri: I am not sure of all the specifications of the server, so I will
    > try to answer as best as I can.
    > 1.Is attached to an Adaptec 7899 controller. It is the only device

    attached
    > to that controller. The Dell tech had me lower the transfere rate of the
    > card to 40 instead of 160, since I was getting timeout errors with the

    tape.
    > I still get them, so I don't think that was the issue. However, the tape
    > backs up fine with the Windows backup tool, so I am assuming it is a BE

    issue.
    > 2.I am not sure. It is set to whatever is the Windows default.
    > 3.Same as above.
    > 4.I have 3gb free on the Windows partition, and 63gb free on the data

    partition.
    > (about 25% of the partition is full.) The server has 1gb of RAM, and the
    > OFO is configured to a minimum of 400mb and maximum of 1200mb, as

    indicated
    > on the Veritas article about troubleshooting OFO errors.
    > 5.Not sure.
    > 6.No antivirus running at the moment. (Normally using Netshield, but

    removed
    > it to troubleshoot the backups. Still not working.
    > 7.Bios is A07, upgraded firmware of the Python and the EMS, latest Adaptec
    > driver for the scsi card, Using only the BE driver for the Python (not the
    > Windows one.)
    > 8.Yes. I reinstalled BE with only the Advanced Server option, removing

    IDR,
    > OFO and whatnot. Still not working.
    > I hope that helps.

  6. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    the dell tech told him to change the transfer rate....and it is good to do
    in almost all cases......the setting of 160 mb/s is 160x60= 9.6GB per MINUTE!!
    which is impossible for a Python so it only helps to slow the transfer rate
    down to tape devices....it opens the floodgate sort of speak....i have seen
    slowing the transfer rate INCREASE transfer rate more times than I have seen
    it decrease it...think about it...the lowest you can set the card to is 5MB/s
    which is still 300mb/min...i know some admins who would masturbate in public
    for that kinda speed.

    and you only have to slow it down on whichever scsi id your tape device is
    on..you can keep all the other ID's at 160 if you like
    the fact is plain and simple is that it resolves scsi timeouts

  7. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    160MB/s - is burst, you should be lucky to get 40+MB/s sustained on hard
    drive. With tape drives, forget about burst, sustained transfer rate is what
    you have to count.
    Python is DDS4 drive. For DDS4 with 2:1 compression sustained trasfer rate
    is 4.8 MB/s and 2.4MB/s native. If you slow down your controller to minimum
    5MB/s - it's still above of what tape drive can accept.
    Timeouts normally (there are obviously other reasons) happen when incorrect
    drivers are used. Can't see logic behind slowing down controller to fix SCSI
    timeouts.

    Tape drive must be on controller (not RAID) alone, without any other
    devices.

    Dmitri

    "Jesse" wrote in message news:3dd08684$1@hronntp01....

    > the dell tech told him to change the transfer rate....and it is good to do
    > in almost all cases......the setting of 160 mb/s is 160x60= 9.6GB per

    MINUTE!!
    > which is impossible for a Python so it only helps to slow the transfer

    rate
    > down to tape devices....it opens the floodgate sort of speak....i have

    seen
    > slowing the transfer rate INCREASE transfer rate more times than I have

    seen
    > it decrease it...think about it...the lowest you can set the card to is

    5MB/s
    > which is still 300mb/min...i know some admins who would masturbate in

    public
    > for that kinda speed.
    >
    > and you only have to slow it down on whichever scsi id your tape device is
    > on..you can keep all the other ID's at 160 if you like
    > the fact is plain and simple is that it resolves scsi timeouts

  8. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Thank you. I will give your suggestion a try today.
    "Dmitri" wrote:
> [...]

    >> 4.I have 3gb free on the Windows partition, and 63gb free on the data

    >partition.
    >> (about 25% of the partition is full.) The server has 1gb of RAM, and

    the
    >> OFO is configured to a minimum of 400mb and maximum of 1200mb, as

    >indicated
    >> on the Veritas article about troubleshooting OFO errors.
    >> 5.Not sure.
    >> 6.No antivirus running at the moment. (Normally using Netshield, but

    >removed
    >> it to troubleshoot the backups. Still not working.
    >> 7.Bios is A07, upgraded firmware of the Python and the EMS, latest Adaptec
    >> driver for the scsi card, Using only the BE driver for the Python (not

    the
    >> Windows one.)
    >> 8.Yes. I reinstalled BE with only the Advanced Server option, removing

  9. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Well, after a lot of troubleshooting, I gave up and tried CA Brightstor Arcserve
    Backup. Although not a bad product, I found the interfact to be not very
    intuitive, so that I couldn't configure it corrctly.
    I decided to gave BE another try, and used Terminal Services to monitor the
    backup. I noticed that it rebooted while trying to backup \winnt\system32\ATIXXX.XXX,
    a file from the video driver (onboard ATI Rage Pro XL PCI.) I then remembered
    one of the Dell technicians mentioning that he had read somewhere that the
    video driver caused reboots for a client.
    I took it out, and voilá! The backup is running fine now. Bad thing is
    640*480 and 16 colors make dificult to hit OK or Cancel on the Windows.
    I am going to try to disable the onboard NIC and put in a PCI one.
    Hope this helps others.
    "Jorge" wrote:

> [...]

    >>> 4.I have 3gb free on the Windows partition, and 63gb free on the data

    >>partition.
    >>> (about 25% of the partition is full.) The server has 1gb of RAM, and

    >the
    >>> OFO is configured to a minimum of 400mb and maximum of 1200mb, as

    >>indicated
    >>> on the Veritas article about troubleshooting OFO errors.
    >>> 5.Not sure.
    >>> 6.No antivirus running at the moment. (Normally using Netshield, but

    >>removed
    >>> it to troubleshoot the backups. Still not working.
    >>> 7.Bios is A07, upgraded firmware of the Python and the EMS, latest Adaptec
    >>> driver for the scsi card, Using only the BE driver for the Python (not

    >the
    >>> Windows one.)
    >>> 8.Yes. I reinstalled BE with only the Advanced Server option, removing

  10. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Jorge,

    thanks for update.
    Interesting, I've 4 pe2550 with BE8.6 - never seen reboot during backup (I
    have to admit that I always remove unneeded taskbar programs (registry -
    hklm....run)) - that is where part of ATI drivers takes also it's place.

    You should have 2 onboard NIC's - Intel 100TX and Broadcom 1000TX. I use
    Gigabit over Ethernet for all servers and disable Intel 100TX. I've tested
    Broadcom Gigabit also in 100MB/s switched and it works fine.
    As to Arcserve - I found it's much easier to configure then BE and it works
    for me right away, where with BE (OFO) I have to run test backups and fine
    tune it. Another advantage of Arcserve - it doesn't need drivers, it *talks*
    directly to hardware.
    Problems - very bad support (worth one I've seen). I will personally take BE
    over Arcserve just because of that as there is no perfect software and
    support comes second in a list of importance, right after compatability.
    Dmitri

    "Jorge" wrote in message

    > Well, after a lot of troubleshooting, I gave up and tried CA Brightstor

    Arcserve
    > Backup. Although not a bad product, I found the interfact to be not very
    > intuitive, so that I couldn't configure it corrctly.
    > I decided to gave BE another try, and used Terminal Services to monitor

    the
    > backup. I noticed that it rebooted while trying to backup

    \winnt\system32\ATIXXX.XXX,
    > a file from the video driver (onboard ATI Rage Pro XL PCI.) I then

    remembered
    > one of the Dell technicians mentioning that he had read somewhere that the
    > video driver caused reboots for a client.
    > I took it out, and voilá! The backup is running fine now. Bad thing is
    > 640*480 and 16 colors make dificult to hit OK or Cancel on the Windows.
    > I am going to try to disable the onboard NIC and put in a PCI one.
    > Hope this helps others.
    > "Jorge" wrote:
    > >
    > >Thank you. I will give your suggestion a try today.
    > >"Dmitri" wrote:
    > >>Jorge,
    > >>
    > >>Do not use BE tape drivers for Python, use Windows default 4mm drivers.

    > >When
    > >>I download and install latest (August 2002) drivers I had big problem

    with
    > >>corrupted NTMSDATA and Removable storage service and had to follow MS KB

    > >and
    > >>not Veritas KB to get server back (after changing drivers back to

    Windows).
    > >>Also should "fix" your timeouts.
    > >>I'm supprised you've listen to Veritas tech and changed trasfer rate of

    > >your
    > >>controller.
    > >>
    > >>Kill (disable) evil Indexing service (unless that is all you do on that
    > >>machine - searching) and uncheck "Allow Indexing blah blah.." in

    properties
    > >>of each volume.
    > >>
    > >>Now, is this machine a DC? Do not use write back cache as AD (still) has
    > >>problems with caching. There are plenty of articles around on that.
    > >>
    > >>Dmitri
    > >>
    > >>"Jorge" wrote in message

    > >>exclude

    time
    > >>someone
    > >>servers
    > >>However,
    > >>make

    > will
    > >>attached

    > >the
    > >>tape.

    > >tape

    > BE
    > >>issue.
    > >>partition.

    > >the
    > >>indicated
    > >>removed

    Adaptec

    > >the
    > >>IDR,

  11. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Well, I guess that did not resolve my issue after all. It ran one full backup
    ok, but then it started to reboot again. I am getting ready to reload the
    OS on it, see if that fixes it. I can't think of anything else to do.
    I diabled the Broadcom card on the bios, as well as the com ports and usb
    port. At the moment, it has no driver loaded (using vga adapter driver)
    and it still reboots when backing up the System32 folder.
    "Dmitri" wrote:
> [...]

    >> intuitive, so that I couldn't configure it corrctly.
    >> I decided to gave BE another try, and used Terminal Services to monitor

    >the
    >> backup. I noticed that it rebooted while trying to backup

    >\winnt\system32\ATIXXX.XXX,
    >> a file from the video driver (onboard ATI Rage Pro XL PCI.) I then

    >remembered
    >> one of the Dell technicians mentioning that he had read somewhere that

    the
    >> video driver caused reboots for a client.
    >> I took it out, and voilá! The backup is running fine now. Bad thing

    is
    >> 640*480 and 16 colors make dificult to hit OK or Cancel on the Windows.
    >> I am going to try to disable the onboard NIC and put in a PCI one.
    >> Hope this helps others.
    >> "Jorge" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >Thank you. I will give your suggestion a try today.

  12. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Jorge,
    can you add separate Adaptec card (LVD if tape is external and cable longer
    than SE specifications). I've seen problems with onboard controllers. Also
    check (change) SCSI cable / tape active terminator.
    Have you change BE drivers to Windows drivers? Did you use Windows CD /
    Service Pack folder when you change drivers? (Win2k sometimes reports driver
    changed, when it's not). Do you have NTMSDATA events in Win2k logs?
    Can you run derfag on system drive? Can you try remote backup on system
    drive only for server in question?
    Dmitri

    "Jorge" wrote in message

> [...]

    > >> Backup. Although not a bad product, I found the interfact to be not

    very
    > >> intuitive, so that I couldn't configure it corrctly.
    > >> I decided to gave BE another try, and used Terminal Services to monitor

    > >the
    > >> backup. I noticed that it rebooted while trying to backup

    > >\winnt\system32\ATIXXX.XXX,
    > >> a file from the video driver (onboard ATI Rage Pro XL PCI.) I then

    > >remembered
    > >> one of the Dell technicians mentioning that he had read somewhere that

    > the
    > >> video driver caused reboots for a client.
    > >> I took it out, and voilá! The backup is running fine now. Bad thing

    > is
    > >> 640*480 and 16 colors make dificult to hit OK or Cancel on the Windows.
    > >> I am going to try to disable the onboard NIC and put in a PCI one.

  13. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Also, try virus scan server in question, using latest definitions.
    Dmitri
    "Dmitri" wrote in message
> [...]

    use
    > > >Gigabit over Ethernet for all servers and disable Intel 100TX. I've

    > tested
    > > >Broadcom Gigabit also in 100MB/s switched and it works fine.
    > > >As to Arcserve - I found it's much easier to configure then BE and it

    > works
    > > >for me right away, where with BE (OFO) I have to run test backups and

    > fine
    > > >tune it. Another advantage of Arcserve - it doesn't need drivers, it

    > *talks*
    > > >directly to hardware.
    > > >Problems - very bad support (worth one I've seen). I will personally

    take
    > > BE
    > > >over Arcserve just because of that as there is no perfect software and
    > > >support comes second in a list of importance, right after

  14. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Try turning off "write checksums to media" if the backup suceeds contact
    Veritas Support or Dell it may be a motherboard incompatbility.

    "Jorge" wrote in message

    > Well, after a lot of troubleshooting, I gave up and tried CA Brightstor

    Arcserve
    > Backup. Although not a bad product, I found the interfact to be not very
    > intuitive, so that I couldn't configure it corrctly.
    > I decided to gave BE another try, and used Terminal Services to monitor

    the
    > backup. I noticed that it rebooted while trying to backup

    \winnt\system32\ATIXXX.XXX,
    > a file from the video driver (onboard ATI Rage Pro XL PCI.) I then

    remembered
    > one of the Dell technicians mentioning that he had read somewhere that the
    > video driver caused reboots for a client.
    > I took it out, and voilá! The backup is running fine now. Bad thing is
    > 640*480 and 16 colors make dificult to hit OK or Cancel on the Windows.
    > I am going to try to disable the onboard NIC and put in a PCI one.
    > Hope this helps others.
    > "Jorge" wrote:
    > >
    > >Thank you. I will give your suggestion a try today.
    > >"Dmitri" wrote:
    > >>Jorge,
    > >>
    > >>Do not use BE tape drivers for Python, use Windows default 4mm drivers.

    > >When
    > >>I download and install latest (August 2002) drivers I had big problem

    with
    > >>corrupted NTMSDATA and Removable storage service and had to follow MS KB

    > >and
    > >>not Veritas KB to get server back (after changing drivers back to

    Windows).
    > >>Also should "fix" your timeouts.
    > >>I'm supprised you've listen to Veritas tech and changed trasfer rate of

    > >your
    > >>controller.
    > >>
    > >>Kill (disable) evil Indexing service (unless that is all you do on that
    > >>machine - searching) and uncheck "Allow Indexing blah blah.." in

    properties
    > >>of each volume.
    > >>
    > >>Now, is this machine a DC? Do not use write back cache as AD (still) has
    > >>problems with caching. There are plenty of articles around on that.
    > >>
    > >>Dmitri
    > >>
    > >>"Jorge" wrote in message

    > >>exclude

    time
    > >>someone
    > >>servers
    > >>However,
    > >>make

    > will
    > >>attached

    > >the
    > >>tape.

    > >tape

    > BE
    > >>issue.
    > >>partition.

    > >the
    > >>indicated
    > >>removed

    Adaptec

    > >the
    > >>IDR,

  15. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    We have a similar problem with a Poweredge 2550. It was rebooting while being
    backed up. I uninstalled Remote Agent from that server and it has not rebooted
    since. I re-installed it and it started rebooting again. I have left it
    uninstalled! Of course, this makes Backup Exec give you a Failed Job Status
    for any job that runs on that server, but it is backing up all of the data
    (I think . . .)

    "Jorge" wrote:

    >I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why Veritas
    >hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many people.
    >I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running BE8.6
    >(3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent as
    >options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the backup.
    > I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also here
    >http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    >If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  16. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Yeah, all the data is backed up, but the registry is not. If the server
    ever dies, you'll have to re-build by hand rather than restore

    John Anderson wrote:

    >We have a similar problem with a Poweredge 2550. It was rebooting while being
    >backed up. I uninstalled Remote Agent from that server and it has not rebooted
    >since. I re-installed it and it started rebooting again. I have left it
    >uninstalled! Of course, this makes Backup Exec give you a Failed Job Status
    >for any job that runs on that server, but it is backing up all of the data
    >(I think . . .)
    >

    >"Jorge" wrote:
    >

    >>I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why Veritas
    >>hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many people.
    >>I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running BE8.6
    >>(3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent as
    >>options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the backup.
    >>I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also here
    >>http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    >>If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  17. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    I wonder if all of you guys with PE2550 have something common in config. As
    I already said - have 4 PE2550 - never ever had any reboot during backup. 3
    of those are media servers (DC, Exchange2k and Metaframe XPa) and one
    (another Metaframe) has remote agent + OFO.
    Dmitri
    "John Anderson" wrote in message

    > We have a similar problem with a Poweredge 2550. It was rebooting while

    being
    > backed up. I uninstalled Remote Agent from that server and it has not

    rebooted
    > since. I re-installed it and it started rebooting again. I have left it
    > uninstalled! Of course, this makes Backup Exec give you a Failed Job

    Status
    > for any job that runs on that server, but it is backing up all of the data
    > (I think . . .)
    >

    > "Jorge" wrote:
    > >
    > >I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why

    Veritas
    > >hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many

    people.
    > >I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running

    BE8.6
    > >(3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent as
    > >options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the

    backup.
    > > I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also here
    > >http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    > >If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  18. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    Are any of you running SQL server on these boxes?

    "Dmitri" wrote:
    >I wonder if all of you guys with PE2550 have something common in config.

    As
    >I already said - have 4 PE2550 - never ever had any reboot during backup.

    3
    >of those are media servers (DC, Exchange2k and Metaframe XPa) and one
    >(another Metaframe) has remote agent + OFO.
    >Dmitri
    >"John Anderson" wrote in message
    >>
    >> We have a similar problem with a Poweredge 2550. It was rebooting while

    >being
    >> backed up. I uninstalled Remote Agent from that server and it has not

    >rebooted
    >> since. I re-installed it and it started rebooting again. I have left

    it
    >> uninstalled! Of course, this makes Backup Exec give you a Failed Job

    >Status
    >> for any job that runs on that server, but it is backing up all of the

    data
    >> (I think . . .)
    >>

    >> "Jorge" wrote:
    >> >
    >> >I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why

    >Veritas
    >> >hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many

    >people.
    >> >I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running

    >BE8.6
    >> >(3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent

    as
    >> >options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the

    >backup.
    >> > I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also

    here
    >> >http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    >> >If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  19. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    I have two PE2550s, and one of mine has always had issues rebooting during
    backup (my reboots happen during full backups). I tried to work this thru
    Veritas, and was told that there was a problem with one of Dell's motherboard
    revisions, and to contact Dell. The Veritas rep even gave me a Dell case
    number to reference, once I was on line with their support group. Of course,
    the Dell rep said that issue had nothing to do with the rebooting issue and
    blew off the problem.

    I'm still rebooting during backups...

    -David

    "Jorge" wrote:

    >I'm having this problem, which seems to be very common. I wonder why Veritas
    >hasn't done anything about it, since it seems to be affecting so many people.
    >I have a Poweredge 2550 server, with a Python DDS 4 tape drive running BE8.6
    >(3878) and Windows 2000 AS. I have installed OFO,IDR and Remote Agent as
    >options. When doing backups, it reboots after 10-15 minutes into the backup.
    > I've seen multiple posts regarding this in this newsgroup, and also here
    >http://www.tek-tips.com/gviewthread....481/qid/306603
    >If anyone has found an answer, I'd really appreciate if they let me know.

  20. Re: Dell Poweredge 2550 Reboots During Backups

    I am having the same problem with one of my 2250's. It only reboots during
    FULL backups, and only when it's backing up one particular drive. Did you
    ever get any resolution with DELL?