System State File Error - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on System State File Error - Veritas Backup Exec ; I am getting an error in regards to the system state file. It has been a recurring problem which we have fixed from time to time by rebooting. It now occurs all the time and rebooting will not fix it. ...

  1. System State File Error

    I am getting an error in regards to the system state file. It has been a
    recurring problem which we have fixed from time to time by rebooting. It
    now occurs all the time and rebooting will not fix it. Does anyone have
    any ideas as to how to fix this? We are running Backup Exec verion 8.6 rev
    3808. An exerpt from the log, with the error, is below.

    Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    Backup started on 10/2/2002 at 11:08:49 PM.
    The item Registry\software in use - skipped.
    An error occurred retrieving System State files. The System State file could
    not be backed up.
    ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

    Backup completed on 10/2/2002 at 11:09:39 PM.
    Backed up 1979 files in 79 directories.
    1 item was skipped.
    Processed 243,289,330 bytes in 50 seconds.
    Throughput rate: 278.4 MB/min
    Software compression ratio: 1.8:1

  2. Re: System State File Error

    We used to have that intermitently. Consider upgrading to the latest
    revision (3878), which I believe is supposed to fix this. However I only
    recently upgraded my systems, so it's too early to be sure it's fixed the
    problem yet.

    "RG" wrote in message news:3d9c3b44$1@hronntp01....

    > I am getting an error in regards to the system state file. It has been a
    > recurring problem which we have fixed from time to time by rebooting. It
    > now occurs all the time and rebooting will not fix it. Does anyone have
    > any ideas as to how to fix this? We are running Backup Exec verion 8.6

    rev
    > 3808. An exerpt from the log, with the error, is below.
    >
    > Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    > Backup started on 10/2/2002 at 11:08:49 PM.
    > The item Registry\software in use - skipped.
    > An error occurred retrieving System State files. The System State file

    could
    > not be backed up.
    > ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    > Backup completed on 10/2/2002 at 11:09:39 PM.
    > Backed up 1979 files in 79 directories.
    > 1 item was skipped.
    > Processed 243,289,330 bytes in 50 seconds.
    > Throughput rate: 278.4 MB/min
    > Software compression ratio: 1.8:1

  3. Re: System State File Error

    As Keith said, upgrade to build 3878
    or
    see bnt86sysfix_239551.exe

    NOTE:
    This hotfix is to be applied ONLY to the following Backup Exec for Windows
    NT and Windows 2000 versions:
    Backup Exec for Windows NT and Windows 2000 v8.6 build 3808 rc5

    You can search for patch files for your release. From the Product support
    page at http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    Select "Support Downloads" then filter for "Patches" and your version

    "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    >We used to have that intermitently. Consider upgrading to the latest
    >revision (3878), which I believe is supposed to fix this. However I only
    >recently upgraded my systems, so it's too early to be sure it's fixed the
    >problem yet.
    >
    >"RG" wrote in message news:3d9c3b44$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> I am getting an error in regards to the system state file. It has been

    >> recurring problem which we have fixed from time to time by rebooting.

    It
    >> now occurs all the time and rebooting will not fix it. Does anyone have
    >> any ideas as to how to fix this? We are running Backup Exec verion 8.6

    >rev
    >> 3808. An exerpt from the log, with the error, is below.
    >>
    >> Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >> Backup started on 10/2/2002 at 11:08:49 PM.
    >> The item Registry\software in use - skipped.
    >> An error occurred retrieving System State files. The System State file

    >could
    >> not be backed up.
    >> ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >>
    >> Backup completed on 10/2/2002 at 11:09:39 PM.
    >> Backed up 1979 files in 79 directories.
    >> 1 item was skipped.
    >> Processed 243,289,330 bytes in 50 seconds.
    >> Throughput rate: 278.4 MB/min
    >> Software compression ratio: 1.8:1

  4. Re: System State File Error

    (Sorry, replied to a responder rather than the original poster)

    "RG" wrote:

    >I am getting an error in regards to the system state file. It has been

    >recurring problem which we have fixed from time to time by rebooting. It
    >now occurs all the time and rebooting will not fix it. Does anyone have
    >any ideas as to how to fix this? We are running Backup Exec verion 8.6

    rev
    >3808. An exerpt from the log, with the error, is below.
    >
    >Backup Type: FULL - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit
    >Backup started on 10/2/2002 at 11:08:49 PM.
    >The item Registry\software in use - skipped.
    >An error occurred retrieving System State files. The System State file could
    >not be backed up.
    >^ ^ ^ ^ ^
    >
    >Backup completed on 10/2/2002 at 11:09:39 PM.
    >Backed up 1979 files in 79 directories.
    >1 item was skipped.
    >Processed 243,289,330 bytes in 50 seconds.
    >Throughput rate: 278.4 MB/min
    >Software compression ratio: 1.8:1

+ Reply to Thread