Questions about media management - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Questions about media management - Veritas Backup Exec ; Is there any type of feature or utility that allows you to see how much of the physical tape you are using on a DLT so that you can tell when you are running out of tape space ahead of ...

  1. Questions about media management

    Is there any type of feature or utility that allows you to see how much of
    the physical tape you are using on a DLT so that you can tell when you are
    running out of tape space ahead of time? Also is the backup to disk function
    of Backup Exec 8.6 really that much faster?

  2. Re: Questions about media management

    If you use hardwar comrpession, there is no way to tell this.

    IF you use no compression or software compression, one of the canned reports
    (the Media Set Report, I think) should tell you this.

    "Jason Reynolds" wrote:

    >Is there any type of feature or utility that allows you to see how much

    of
    >the physical tape you are using on a DLT so that you can tell when you are
    >running out of tape space ahead of time? Also is the backup to disk function
    >of Backup Exec 8.6 really that much faster?

  3. Re: Questions about media management

    Thanks. That is what I thought. I just figured I should ask in case there
    actually was a solution that I was unaware of.

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >If you use hardwar comrpession, there is no way to tell this.
    >
    >IF you use no compression or software compression, one of the canned reports
    >(the Media Set Report, I think) should tell you this.
    >
    >"Jason Reynolds" wrote:
    >>
    >>Is there any type of feature or utility that allows you to see how much

    >of
    >>the physical tape you are using on a DLT so that you can tell when you

    are
    >>running out of tape space ahead of time? Also is the backup to disk function
    >>of Backup Exec 8.6 really that much faster?

  4. Re: Questions about media management

    re: backup to disk,

    We use it at our place to backup our fileserver, last backup did 130GB in
    six hours over the 100Mb network.

    How that compares to DLT I don't know, as I've only use DDS3, DDS4 and LTO.

    "Jason Reynolds" wrote in message

    > Is there any type of feature or utility that allows you to see how much of
    > the physical tape you are using on a DLT so that you can tell when you are
    > running out of tape space ahead of time? Also is the backup to disk

    function
    > of Backup Exec 8.6 really that much faster?

  5. Re: Questions about media management

    B2D

    Dlt 1 should be a a peformance from 3 MB/s ~ 10 GB/h uncompressed (same as
    a dlt4000)
    Imho it is deffetnly slower over network (1-2MB/s)
    regards

    werner
    "Keith Langmead" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > re: backup to disk,
    >
    > We use it at our place to backup our fileserver, last backup did 130GB in
    > six hours over the 100Mb network.
    >
    > How that compares to DLT I don't know, as I've only use DDS3, DDS4 and

    LTO.

    > "Jason Reynolds" wrote in message
    > >
    > > Is there any type of feature or utility that allows you to see how much

    of
    > > the physical tape you are using on a DLT so that you can tell when you

    are
    > > running out of tape space ahead of time? Also is the backup to disk

    > function
    > > of Backup Exec 8.6 really that much faster?

+ Reply to Thread