Skipping specific files based on file extension... - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Skipping specific files based on file extension... - Veritas Backup Exec ; Hello...I'd like to be able to configure my nightly differential and weekly full backups to skip certain files, based on file extensions. For example, my users often store .mp3 files and I want the backup jobs to skip .mp3 files, ...

  1. Skipping specific files based on file extension...

    Hello...I'd like to be able to configure my nightly differential and weekly
    full backups to skip certain files, based on file extensions. For example,
    my users often store .mp3 files and I want the backup jobs to skip .mp3 files,
    for the obvious reasons. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?

    Thanks in advance,

    David

  2. Re: Skipping specific files based on file extension...

    See
    http://seer.support.veritas.com/high...doc=docs/23749
    5.htm

    "David Reed" wrote in message

    > Hello...I'd like to be able to configure my nightly differential and

    weekly
    > full backups to skip certain files, based on file extensions. For

    example,
    > my users often store .mp3 files and I want the backup jobs to skip .mp3

    files,
    > for the obvious reasons. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > David

  3. Re: Skipping specific files based on file extension...

    My recent experience with BENT 8.5 is that you will have to delete the scheduled
    jobs and reschedule them to get the new exclusions to take effect.

    82 job deletions & 82 jobs scheduled between two servers, just to add .bkf....

    The scheduled jobs showed the modified selections, but the changes were ignored
    when the jobs ran. Deleting them and creating new scheduled jobs incorporated
    the modified deletions.

    If there's a way to force job updates without having to go through that again,
    I'd like to hear about it.

    Jim

    "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    >See
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/high...doc=docs/23749
    >5.htm
    >
    >"David Reed" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hello...I'd like to be able to configure my nightly differential and

    >weekly
    >> full backups to skip certain files, based on file extensions. For

    >example,
    >> my users often store .mp3 files and I want the backup jobs to skip .mp3

    >files,
    >> for the obvious reasons. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >> David

  4. Re: Skipping specific files based on file extension...

    Have you tried a different approach? Perhaps you could stop your users from
    storing songs, mpeg video files, games and other non work related files on
    the server.

    "David Reed" wrote in message

    > Hello...I'd like to be able to configure my nightly differential and

    weekly
    > full backups to skip certain files, based on file extensions. For

    example,
    > my users often store .mp3 files and I want the backup jobs to skip .mp3

    files,
    > for the obvious reasons. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > David

+ Reply to Thread