Large increase in Byte Count; Short period of time - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Large increase in Byte Count; Short period of time - Veritas Backup Exec ; Can anyone tell me why the byte count might jump 5GB in a few hours. Went from 7GB to 12GB in less than a day and there were no changes made to the system. The time to backup double from ...

  1. Large increase in Byte Count; Short period of time

    Can anyone tell me why the byte count might jump 5GB in a few hours. Went
    from 7GB to 12GB in less than a day and there were no changes made to the
    system. The time to backup double from about 1 hour to about 2 hours. It
    looks like the software compression ratio dropped from 1.6:1 to 1.2:1. Can
    anyone explain this?

    I am using backup exec version 8.6 rev 3808.

  2. Re: Large increase in Byte Count; Short period of time

    You are absolutely sure that no-one added a several gigs worth of mp3 or jpegs
    to the server? The added amount of data and the sizable reduction in compression
    ratio would sure lead me to look into that possibility.

    "RG" wrote:

    >Can anyone tell me why the byte count might jump 5GB in a few hours. Went
    >from 7GB to 12GB in less than a day and there were no changes made to the
    >system. The time to backup double from about 1 hour to about 2 hours.

    It
    >looks like the software compression ratio dropped from 1.6:1 to 1.2:1.

    Can
    >anyone explain this?
    >
    >I am using backup exec version 8.6 rev 3808.

+ Reply to Thread