MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls! - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls! - Veritas Backup Exec ; I'm trying to configure MAPI in order to: a) backup single mailboxes in Exchange Server 5.5 b) have notifications The backup software is BENT 8.6 and it is installed in a server which is in the domain "A". The backup ...

  1. MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    I'm trying to configure MAPI in order to:
    a) backup single mailboxes in Exchange Server 5.5
    b) have notifications

    The backup software is BENT 8.6 and it is installed in a server which is in
    the domain "A". The backup device is an IBM Ultrium 3581. The server which
    has MS Exchange 5.5 belongs to the domain "B".

    I set everything (permissions, and so on) in order to have a configurated
    profile in the "backup server" which let me open any mailbox, but when I
    have to give BENT the outlook profile name to use, I get errors (the profile
    or password are not valid).

    Can anyone help me with some useful suggestions pls?

    Thanks in advance,
    best regards,
    Gianluca Colucci
    Logos Informatica S.r.l.

  2. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    If you logon to the backup server as the BackupExec service account, can you
    open and use Exchange? It's been a while since I did much with Exchagne,
    but IIRC, the user-id that you connect to Exchange as (the logged on user)
    must have an account in the domain that the Exchange server belongs to.

    "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    >I'm trying to configure MAPI in order to:
    >a) backup single mailboxes in Exchange Server 5.5
    >b) have notifications
    >
    >The backup software is BENT 8.6 and it is installed in a server which is

    in
    >the domain "A". The backup device is an IBM Ultrium 3581. The server which
    >has MS Exchange 5.5 belongs to the domain "B".
    >
    >I set everything (permissions, and so on) in order to have a configurated
    >profile in the "backup server" which let me open any mailbox, but when I
    >have to give BENT the outlook profile name to use, I get errors (the profile
    >or password are not valid).
    >
    >Can anyone help me with some useful suggestions pls?
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >best regards,
    >Gianluca Colucci
    >Logos Informatica S.r.l.

  3. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    I put the BackupExec service account in the administrators group of the
    domain server which has Exchange. Also, I set up every needed right in order
    to use and manage Microsoft Exchange Administrator 5.5.
    In other words, the BENT service account has become a "clone" of the
    Exchange Administrator.

    "Ken Putnam" ha scritto nel messaggio

    > If you logon to the backup server as the BackupExec service account, can

    you
    > open and use Exchange? It's been a while since I did much with Exchagne,
    > but IIRC, the user-id that you connect to Exchange as (the logged on user)
    > must have an account in the domain that the Exchange server belongs to.
    >

    > "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    > >I'm trying to configure MAPI in order to:
    > >a) backup single mailboxes in Exchange Server 5.5
    > >b) have notifications
    > >
    > >The backup software is BENT 8.6 and it is installed in a server which is

    > in
    > >the domain "A". The backup device is an IBM Ultrium 3581. The server

    which
    > >has MS Exchange 5.5 belongs to the domain "B".
    > >
    > >I set everything (permissions, and so on) in order to have a configurated
    > >profile in the "backup server" which let me open any mailbox, but when I
    > >have to give BENT the outlook profile name to use, I get errors (the

    profile
    > >or password are not valid).
    > >
    > >Can anyone help me with some useful suggestions pls?
    > >
    > >Thanks in advance,
    > >best regards,
    > >Gianluca Colucci
    > >Logos Informatica S.r.l.

  4. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    OK, BUT...

    Is the BackupExec Service account a member of DomainA or DomainB?

    Again, if you logon to the Backup Server as the BackupExec Service Account,
    can you open and use Outlook?

    "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    >I put the BackupExec service account in the administrators group of the
    >domain server which has Exchange. Also, I set up every needed right in order
    >to use and manage Microsoft Exchange Administrator 5.5.
    >In other words, the BENT service account has become a "clone" of the
    >Exchange Administrator.

  5. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    The BackupExec Service account belongs Domain "A" but I added
    "A/Administrator" to the group "Administrators" of the Domain "B", where
    Domain A is the domain with the BENT Server and Domain "B" is the domain
    with the Exchange Server.

    I've already tried to log on to the BENT server with BE Service Account and
    it seems work properly: I can open every mailbox using Outlook 2000 and I
    see data inside.

    I followed every instruction found in the Veritas knowledge base articles,
    but I haven't found a solution yet.

    What am I mistaking?

    Thanks again,
    Gianluca.

    > OK, BUT...
    >
    > Is the BackupExec Service account a member of DomainA or DomainB?
    >
    > Again, if you logon to the Backup Server as the BackupExec Service

    Account,
    > can you open and use Outlook?
    >

    > "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    > >I put the BackupExec service account in the administrators group of the
    > >domain server which has Exchange. Also, I set up every needed right in

    order
    > >to use and manage Microsoft Exchange Administrator 5.5.
    > >In other words, the BENT service account has become a "clone" of the
    > >Exchange Administrator.

  6. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    Dunno, if you can access Exchange when logged in as the Service Account, I
    can't think of any reason that backups won't work.

    You may have to break down and open an incident with Veritas on this one,
    if no one else jumps in here.

    "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    >The BackupExec Service account belongs Domain "A" but I added
    >"A/Administrator" to the group "Administrators" of the Domain "B", where
    >Domain A is the domain with the BENT Server and Domain "B" is the domain
    >with the Exchange Server.
    >
    >I've already tried to log on to the BENT server with BE Service Account

    and
    >it seems work properly: I can open every mailbox using Outlook 2000 and

    >see data inside.
    >
    >I followed every instruction found in the Veritas knowledge base articles,
    >but I haven't found a solution yet.
    >
    >What am I mistaking?
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >Gianluca.
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" ha scritto nel messaggio
    >>
    >> OK, BUT...
    >>
    >> Is the BackupExec Service account a member of DomainA or DomainB?
    >>
    >> Again, if you logon to the Backup Server as the BackupExec Service

    >Account,
    >> can you open and use Outlook?
    >>

    >> "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    >> >I put the BackupExec service account in the administrators group of the
    >> >domain server which has Exchange. Also, I set up every needed right in

    >order
    >> >to use and manage Microsoft Exchange Administrator 5.5.
    >> >In other words, the BENT service account has become a "clone" of the
    >> >Exchange Administrator.

  7. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    Really thanks, Ken. Like last pleasure, can you explain me how to open an
    incident with Veritas pls?

    Thanks again,
    Gianluca Colucci

  8. Re: MAPI doesn't work!!! help pls!

    From the product support page at http://support.veritas.com/menu_ddProduct_BEWNT.htm
    on the left side, select "Contact support" then drill down for a list of
    phone numbers.

    "Gianluca Colucci" wrote:
    >Really thanks, Ken. Like last pleasure, can you explain me how to open an
    >incident with Veritas pls?
    >
    >Thanks again,
    >Gianluca Colucci

+ Reply to Thread