I am trying to properly plan for disaster recovery. However I have a
scenario that I'm trying to figure out how to handle.

Let's say I take a backup at the begining of the month and do
differentials every night in between. A user deletes a directory on
day 2 (intentially). Let's say that I have disaster on the 10th of the
month. I would obviously restore the full and then the most recent
differential. That directory would be restored.

I'm looking for a way that the number of files and directories that
are not supposed to be there don't suddenly reappear.

I know some non-industrial strength backup solutions do this
automatically (ie: Dantz Retrospect), but can this do it?