slow backups with backup to disk using rev 3878 since rebuild - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on slow backups with backup to disk using rev 3878 since rebuild - Veritas Backup Exec ; We recently had to rebuild our backup server due to a motherboard failure, and while re-installing BENT I took the opportunity to upgrade it to the latest revision (v8.6 rev 3878). As I didn't have our licence keys to hand ...

  1. slow backups with backup to disk using rev 3878 since rebuild

    We recently had to rebuild our backup server due to a motherboard failure,
    and while re-installing BENT I took the opportunity to upgrade it to the
    latest revision (v8.6 rev 3878).

    As I didn't have our licence keys to hand at the time, I installed it using
    the 60 day trial version, and as yet haven't had a chance to enter all of
    our keys into the software.

    Before the failure, all of the backups ran overnight without any problems.
    Occasionally the backup would still be going when we came in, but would
    normally finish by 10am at the latest. Since the failure, most of the
    backups complete fine, however our backup to disk job runs, but seems to
    take in inordinate amount of time to complete. As I write this, the backup
    scan is still running.

    We've checked the networking, and the machine itself, and haven't been able
    to find any problems, so the only thing left seems to be BENT.

    Are there any know issues with rev 3878 and backing up to disk?

    Is there a reason why the trial version does not run as quickly as the
    registered version?

    Keith

  2. Re: slow backups with backup to disk using rev 3878 since rebuild

    Never mind, found an old post about the network card setting NOT being set
    to auto detect the speed. Changed that, and it seems to be working fine now.

    Out of general interest, does anyone know WHY that causes a problem>

    Cheers
    Keith

    "Keith Langmead" wrote in message
    > We recently had to rebuild our backup server due to a motherboard failure,
    > and while re-installing BENT I took the opportunity to upgrade it to the
    > latest revision (v8.6 rev 3878).
    >
    > As I didn't have our licence keys to hand at the time, I installed it

    using
    > the 60 day trial version, and as yet haven't had a chance to enter all of
    > our keys into the software.
    >
    > Before the failure, all of the backups ran overnight without any problems.
    > Occasionally the backup would still be going when we came in, but would
    > normally finish by 10am at the latest. Since the failure, most of the
    > backups complete fine, however our backup to disk job runs, but seems to
    > take in inordinate amount of time to complete. As I write this, the backup
    > scan is still running.
    >
    > We've checked the networking, and the machine itself, and haven't been

    able
    > to find any problems, so the only thing left seems to be BENT.
    >
    > Are there any know issues with rev 3878 and backing up to disk?
    >
    > Is there a reason why the trial version does not run as quickly as the
    > registered version?
    >
    > Keith

  3. Re: slow backups with backup to disk using rev 3878 since rebuild

    Just the fact "industry standards" aren't always standard. When autodetect
    is enabled, the switch and NIC decide between them the "fastest" configuration
    that both will accept, and dynamically configure themselves. Sometimes works,
    most of the time it seems not to. You may or may not notice the slowness
    with "normal" network useage, but streaming data (as the RemoteAgent does)
    hammers misconfigured interfaces badly.

    If you hard set one end (say the switch ports) and autoconfigure the Server
    NIC(s) it seems to work better, but if both ends are set to auto-negotiate,
    streaming data will suffer badly.

    "Keith Langmead" wrote:
    >Never mind, found an old post about the network card setting NOT being set
    >to auto detect the speed. Changed that, and it seems to be working fine

    now.

    >Out of general interest, does anyone know WHY that causes a problem>
    >
    >Cheers
    >Keith

+ Reply to Thread