RPC failed connecting to Exchange mailboxes - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on RPC failed connecting to Exchange mailboxes - Veritas Backup Exec ; Backup Exec version 8.6 Windows 2000 Server Exchange 2000 Server When I try to expand the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" selection, it prompts me for the unique mailbox. If don't enter the right one, it prompts again. If enter the one ...

  1. RPC failed connecting to Exchange mailboxes

    Backup Exec version 8.6
    Windows 2000 Server
    Exchange 2000 Server

    When I try to expand the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" selection, it
    prompts me for the unique mailbox. If don't enter the right one, it prompts
    again. If enter the one that it's supposed to use, it starts thinking and
    about 10 seconds later I get a message box saying, "The remote procedure
    call failed."

    I can backup everything else including the information stores. It's just
    the individual mailboxes that I'm having problems with.

    Any thoughts?

    Thanks

  2. Re: RPC failed connecting to Exchange mailboxes

    I have the same problem with mine. I have BE 8.6 Build 3878 installed on
    a Windows 2000 Server. My Exchange 5.5 is installed on NT 4.0 SP6a. When
    selecting individual mailboxes for backup, the RPC error message will pop
    up if you do not have MS Outlook open. To work around this,

    1. log onto your backup server as service backup account
    2. create an MS Outlook profile for your service backup account
    3. open (launch) MS Outlook
    4. then open your Veritas Backup administrator

    After this, you can select your individual mailboxes without getting that
    RPC error.

    This problem should not occur. I don't know how to resolve this as of this
    time, but this solution should provide a work around for you right now.
    If you know how to resolve this problem, then please let me know. I'll do
    the same.

    jd

    "John Krueger" wrote:
    >Backup Exec version 8.6
    >Windows 2000 Server
    >Exchange 2000 Server
    >
    >When I try to expand the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" selection, it
    >prompts me for the unique mailbox. If don't enter the right one, it prompts
    >again. If enter the one that it's supposed to use, it starts thinking and
    >about 10 seconds later I get a message box saying, "The remote procedure
    >call failed."
    >
    >I can backup everything else including the information stores. It's just
    >the individual mailboxes that I'm having problems with.
    >
    >Any thoughts?
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: RPC failed connecting to Exchange mailboxes

    I'm doing that but still get the error.

    I've got the service account running as DOMAIN\administrator (probably not a
    good idea but it works! )
    I've set up a profile in Outlook for this mailbox and verified that it does
    work.
    The Exchange admin tool are installed.

    So, I log in as administrator....startup Outlook.....startup Backup Exec
    admin. I see the listing for Exchange Mailboxes. I click on it and it
    prompts for a mailbox name. I enter "Adminitrator". It thinks about it for
    about 20 seconds and then gives me the RPC error.

    Any problems with running it Administrator (other than the security issue)?

    Thanks for your resonse, and if I get it working, I'll post something here.

    "JD" wrote in message news:3d8a3192$1@hronntp01....

    > I have the same problem with mine. I have BE 8.6 Build 3878 installed on
    > a Windows 2000 Server. My Exchange 5.5 is installed on NT 4.0 SP6a. When
    > selecting individual mailboxes for backup, the RPC error message will pop
    > up if you do not have MS Outlook open. To work around this,
    >
    > 1. log onto your backup server as service backup account
    > 2. create an MS Outlook profile for your service backup account
    > 3. open (launch) MS Outlook
    > 4. then open your Veritas Backup administrator
    >
    > After this, you can select your individual mailboxes without getting that
    > RPC error.
    >
    > This problem should not occur. I don't know how to resolve this as of

    this
    > time, but this solution should provide a work around for you right now.
    > If you know how to resolve this problem, then please let me know. I'll do
    > the same.
    >
    > jd
    >
    > "John Krueger" wrote:
    > >Backup Exec version 8.6
    > >Windows 2000 Server
    > >Exchange 2000 Server
    > >
    > >When I try to expand the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" selection, it
    > >prompts me for the unique mailbox. If don't enter the right one, it

    prompts
    > >again. If enter the one that it's supposed to use, it starts thinking

    and
    > >about 10 seconds later I get a message box saying, "The remote procedure
    > >call failed."
    > >
    > >I can backup everything else including the information stores. It's just
    > >the individual mailboxes that I'm having problems with.
    > >
    > >Any thoughts?
    > >
    > >Thanks

  4. Re: RPC failed connecting to Exchange mailboxes

    What version of Outlook are you using? This sounds like a beast Ive
    battled....if you're running Outlook 2002 (XP), make sure you apply Office
    SR-2 to it....I was running Outlook 2002 SR-1, same problem. Patched it to
    SR-2, rebooted the machine, problem went away!

    > > I have the same problem with mine. I have BE 8.6 Build 3878 installed

    on
    > > a Windows 2000 Server. My Exchange 5.5 is installed on NT 4.0 SP6a.

    When
    > > selecting individual mailboxes for backup, the RPC error message will

    pop
    > > up if you do not have MS Outlook open. To work around this,
    > >
    > > 1. log onto your backup server as service backup account
    > > 2. create an MS Outlook profile for your service backup account
    > > 3. open (launch) MS Outlook
    > > 4. then open your Veritas Backup administrator
    > >
    > > After this, you can select your individual mailboxes without getting

    that
    > > RPC error.
    > >
    > > This problem should not occur. I don't know how to resolve this as of

    > this
    > > time, but this solution should provide a work around for you right now.
    > > If you know how to resolve this problem, then please let me know. I'll

    do
    > > the same.
    > >
    > > jd
    > >
    > > "John Krueger" wrote:
    > > >Backup Exec version 8.6
    > > >Windows 2000 Server
    > > >Exchange 2000 Server
    > > >
    > > >When I try to expand the "Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes" selection, it
    > > >prompts me for the unique mailbox. If don't enter the right one, it

    > prompts
    > > >again. If enter the one that it's supposed to use, it starts thinking

    > and
    > > >about 10 seconds later I get a message box saying, "The remote

    procedure
    > > >call failed."
    > > >
    > > >I can backup everything else including the information stores. It's

    just
    > > >the individual mailboxes that I'm having problems with.
    > > >
    > > >Any thoughts?
    > > >
    > > >Thanks

+ Reply to Thread