Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup - Veritas Backup Exec ; I get message on a machine I backup. How do I get this fixed? It still backs it up but I get this message. Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup WARNING: Media servers cannot completely ...

  1. Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    I get message on a machine I backup. How do I get this fixed? It still backs
    it up but I get this message.

    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
    Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.

    Thanks

  2. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    Purchase and install a copy of the Remote Agent on all remore machines

    "john" wrote:

    >I get message on a machine I backup. How do I get this fixed? It still backs
    >it up but I get this message.
    >
    >Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    >WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
    >Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    >Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    >and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    >workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    >Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    >while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >
    >Thanks

  3. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    I did!
    It still does this!

    "Ken Putnam" wrote:

    >Purchase and install a copy of the Remote Agent on all remore machines
    >
    >"john" wrote:
    >>
    >>I get message on a machine I backup. How do I get this fixed? It still

    backs
    >>it up but I get this message.
    >>
    >>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    >>WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
    >>Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    >>Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    >>and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    >>workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    >>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    >>while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >>
    >>Thanks

  4. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    In the last day or two someone posted a solution involving Appletalk Protocol.
    I can't find it right now, but if contains specific registry keys to check
    if you are not using Appletalk on your network. I'll look some more and
    if I find it, I'll let you know.

    "john" wrote:

    >I did!
    >It still does this!
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >>
    >>Purchase and install a copy of the Remote Agent on all remore machines
    >>
    >>"john" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I get message on a machine I backup. How do I get this fixed? It still

    >backs
    >>>it up but I get this message.
    >>>
    >>>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    >>>WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
    >>>Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    >>>Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    >>>and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    >>>workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    >>>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    >>>while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

  5. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standardbackup

    Try doing this first on the Backupexec Server, then if that doesn't work,
    try it on the remote server.

    On the server where the Agent Accelerator/Remote Agent is installed locate
    the registry key by performing the following:
    1. Go to Start > Run.
    3. Type Regedt32 and locate the key

    "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\WinSock\Parameters\Transports"

    If there is a reference to the AppleTalk protocol and it is not installed
    on the system, then remove this entry and reboot the server. The Agent
    Accelerator/Remote
    Agent service should start and the remote server can be backed up.

    If no reference to AppleTalk can be found in the registry path mentioned
    above, install AppleTalk and just disable it.

    john wrote:

    >I did!
    >It still does this!
    >

    >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    >

    >>Purchase and install a copy of the Remote Agent on all remore machines
    >>
    >>"john" wrote:
    >>

    >>>I get message on a machine I backup. How do I get this fixed? It still
    >>>

    >backs
    >

    >>>it up but I get this message.
    >>>
    >>>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup
    >>>WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
    >>>Windows 2000 servers or workstations unless the Backup
    >>>Exec Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is installed
    >>>and running on each remote Windows 2000 server or
    >>>workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
    >>>Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 is not running
    >>>while backing up remote Windows 2000 computers.
    >>>
    >>>Thanks

  6. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    I am having the same problem and before we installed win2k sp3 the remote
    server was being backed up. Since then everything except the system state is
    being backed up. So if I disable the Appletalk on the server that has the
    remote agent installed and disable the Appletalk on the remote server that
    should take care of the "not being albe to find the remote agent?

    ????

    Thanks for any help

    Laine

    "Ken Putnam" wrote in message
    > Try doing this first on the Backupexec Server, then if that doesn't work,
    > try it on the remote server.
    >
    > On the server where the Agent Accelerator/Remote Agent is installed locate
    > the registry key by performing the following:
    > 1. Go to Start > Run.
    > 3. Type Regedt32 and locate the key

    "\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servi ces\WinSock\Parameters\Tr
    ansports"

    > If there is a reference to the AppleTalk protocol and it is not installed
    > on the system, then remove this entry and reboot the server. The Agent
    > Accelerator/Remote
    > Agent service should start and the remote server can be backed up.
    >
    > If no reference to AppleTalk can be found in the registry path mentioned
    > above, install AppleTalk and just disable it.
    >
    > john wrote:
    >
    > >I did!
    > >It still does this!
    > >

    > >"Ken Putnam" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Purchase and install a copy of the Remote Agent on all remore machines

    > >backs

    backup

  7. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    It's one of the fixes - that appears to work when everything else fails.

    "L Beacom" wrote:
    >I am having the same problem and before we installed win2k sp3 the remote
    >server was being backed up. Since then everything except the system state

    is
    >being backed up. So if I disable the Appletalk on the server that has the
    >remote agent installed and disable the Appletalk on the remote server that
    >should take care of the "not being albe to find the remote agent?
    >
    >????
    >
    >Thanks for any help
    >
    >Laine

  8. Re: Remote Agent for Windows NT/2000 not present - performing standard backup

    I found another way to resolve this problem on my backup server (Media Server).
    When I use name resolution to create backup selections, this error appears.
    To fix it I setup a "User-defined Selection" using an IP address for the
    UNC name.

    Ex. I want to backup a server named CO3SERVER (192.68.0.5) that has Remote
    Agent Installed.

    Instead of adding a user-defined selection of \\CO3SERVER to develop a backup
    selection list, I use the IP address of CO3SERVER. The entry in the "User-defined
    Selections" appears as \\192.68.0.5.

    As soon as I switched from using a name to using the IP address, the error
    went away and CO3SERVER was backed up using the Agent.

+ Reply to Thread