ERROR: Unable to attach to drive \\server\System?State - Veritas Backup Exec

This is a discussion on ERROR: Unable to attach to drive \\server\System?State - Veritas Backup Exec ; Folks, I've just received 22 sweeeeet new Dell 6650 servers all configured identically. 11 will replace all of our existing datacenter servers and 11 will go to our CoLo center for disaster recovery. I am in the process of developing ...

  1. ERROR: Unable to attach to drive \\server\System?State

    Folks,

    I've just received 22 sweeeeet new Dell 6650 servers all configured identically.
    11 will replace all of our existing datacenter servers and 11 will go to
    our CoLo center for disaster recovery. I am in the process of developing
    the recovery documention so as a matter of course I am testing BENT 8.6 build
    3878 IDR in my staging environment.

    My problem? SYSTEM STATE RESTORES!!!!! #>?/!$## Crap....is this feature broken
    or what?

    Here my latest test procedure: (On the media server itself)

    Cleanly load Win2K and configure drivers, etc.
    Load Win2k SP2.
    Load BENT 8.6 build 3878, Server, OFO and IDR.
    Create IDR disks.
    Backup system, selecting drive and system state.
    Update IDR disks 1 and 5.
    Blow away partion.
    Reload system using IDR disks.
    When the system state attempts to restore it errors out. The following is
    from BEDRWIZ.LOG:

    ERROR: GetVolumeInformation returned 1231
    Unable to attach to drive \\TEST2K10\System?State.
    ERROR: GetVolumeInformation returned 53
    Unable to attach to drive \\TEST2K10\System?State.

    I've combed Veritas support site and this news group, but haven't been able
    to get the thing to work. I'm in a pure test environment so I'm willing to
    try anything since I'm not using any production servers.

    Any insight will be greatly appreciated!

    -bob
    bob@fcfc.com
    254-751-1750x172

  2. Re: ERROR: Unable to attach to drive \\server\System?State

    Bob, Justin here , just ran into the same prob, how i fixed it, was let the
    program error out, then install my network card because with out the network
    card, the server will not see //server/system?state, and make sure the systems
    name is the same, after that look in the winnt/system32/backupexec for a
    file called bedrwiz.exe run it and have it install your system state...that
    should fix you all up, if not drop me a email. justin@tspec.net

    "Bob Musselman" wrote:

    >Folks,
    >
    >I've just received 22 sweeeeet new Dell 6650 servers all configured identically.
    >11 will replace all of our existing datacenter servers and 11 will go to
    >our CoLo center for disaster recovery. I am in the process of developing
    >the recovery documention so as a matter of course I am testing BENT 8.6

    build
    >3878 IDR in my staging environment.
    >
    >My problem? SYSTEM STATE RESTORES!!!!! #>?/!$## Crap....is this feature

    broken
    >or what?
    >
    >Here my latest test procedure: (On the media server itself)
    >
    >Cleanly load Win2K and configure drivers, etc.
    >Load Win2k SP2.
    >Load BENT 8.6 build 3878, Server, OFO and IDR.
    >Create IDR disks.
    >Backup system, selecting drive and system state.
    >Update IDR disks 1 and 5.
    >Blow away partion.
    >Reload system using IDR disks.
    >When the system state attempts to restore it errors out. The following is
    >from BEDRWIZ.LOG:
    >
    >ERROR: GetVolumeInformation returned 1231
    >Unable to attach to drive \\TEST2K10\System?State.
    >ERROR: GetVolumeInformation returned 53
    >Unable to attach to drive \\TEST2K10\System?State.
    >
    >I've combed Veritas support site and this news group, but haven't been able
    >to get the thing to work. I'm in a pure test environment so I'm willing

    >try anything since I'm not using any production servers.
    >
    >Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
    >
    >-bob
    >bob@fcfc.com
    >254-751-1750x172

  3. Re: ERROR: Unable to attach to drive \\server\System?State

    Justin,

    Thanks for responding. I discovered the same fix shortly after I posted the
    orginal plea for help. I my case I have 3 nics. So what I do is right before
    the final reboot of the ERD I load all missing drivers for all devices. Then
    I disable all but 1 nic. Every thing is sweet from then on. There is no documentation
    regarding this and that's too bad. Oh well I guess that's why we get paid
    the big bucks!

    -bob
    bob@fcfc.com

    "Justin Coleman" wrote:

    >Bob, Justin here , just ran into the same prob, how i fixed it, was let

    the
    >program error out, then install my network card because with out the network
    >card, the server will not see //server/system?state, and make sure the systems
    >name is the same, after that look in the winnt/system32/backupexec for a
    >file called bedrwiz.exe run it and have it install your system state...that
    >should fix you all up, if not drop me a email. justin@tspec.net
    >
    >"Bob Musselman" wrote:
    >>
    >>Folks,
    >>
    >>I've just received 22 sweeeeet new Dell 6650 servers all configured identically.
    >>11 will replace all of our existing datacenter servers and 11 will go to
    >>our CoLo center for disaster recovery. I am in the process of developing
    >>the recovery documention so as a matter of course I am testing BENT 8.6

    >build
    >>3878 IDR in my staging environment.
    >>
    >>My problem? SYSTEM STATE RESTORES!!!!! #>?/!$## Crap....is this feature

    >broken
    >>or what?
    >>
    >>Here my latest test procedure: (On the media server itself)
    >>
    >>Cleanly load Win2K and configure drivers, etc.
    >>Load Win2k SP2.
    >>Load BENT 8.6 build 3878, Server, OFO and IDR.
    >>Create IDR disks.
    >>Backup system, selecting drive and system state.
    >>Update IDR disks 1 and 5.
    >>Blow away partion.
    >>Reload system using IDR disks.
    >>When the system state attempts to restore it errors out. The following

    is
    >>from BEDRWIZ.LOG:
    >>
    >>ERROR: GetVolumeInformation returned 1231
    >>Unable to attach to drive \\TEST2K10\System?State.
    >>ERROR: GetVolumeInformation returned 53
    >>Unable to attach to drive \\TEST2K10\System?State.
    >>
    >>I've combed Veritas support site and this news group, but haven't been

    able
    >>to get the thing to work. I'm in a pure test environment so I'm willing

    >>try anything since I'm not using any production servers.
    >>
    >>Any insight will be greatly appreciated!
    >>
    >>-bob
    >>bob@fcfc.com
    >>254-751-1750x172

+ Reply to Thread